U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
400,000 is the criteria for having a large Black population? Interesting, the one metro that is always talked about as not having a large black population and presence is the Bay Area and they have just under 500,000 Blacks. Now I will say from that population comes a very influential population especially in hip hop. But still interesting to see that this is the criteria.
I wouldn't call it the "criteria." That makes it sound as if it's a standard that's been established by a board of experts. I just noted that the major cities with a AA population of less than 400,000 are rarely thought of as having "large" Black populations.

My point wasn't to get into a discussion over what the word "large" means. Does it mean 100,000, 200,000, 300,000, 500,000 or 1,000,000? The answer to that question is obviously context dependent. Does Atlanta have a "large" Italian population? Most people would say no, but you would be hard pressed to find 29 metros that have a larger Italian population. So would being in the top 6% of the nation's 388 metropolitan statistical areas catapult it into the ranks of cities with "large" Italian populations. Perhaps. But that's not the yardstick people are going to use. They are going to compare it to Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

I think cities like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Seattle, San Diego, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, etc. are sort of like this when it comes to Black people. As a strictly technical matter, they have more Black people than the overwhelming majority (91%) of places in the United States, even more than a lot of metros in the Deep South. But since they are relatively large metros, unlike metros like Augusta, GA, we understand that they are likely to have a larger population of any given group. Therefore, we compare them to other major cities/metros, and not metros like Montgomery.

So do all of these cities have "large" Black populations. I don't know if they are "large" or not, but they are clearly not large enough to make much of an impact on the larger Black public consciousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:12 AM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wouldn't call it the "criteria." That makes it sound as if it's a standard that's been established by a board of experts. I just noted that the major cities with a AA population of less than 400,000 are rarely thought of as having "large" Black populations.

My point wasn't to get into a discussion over what the word "large" means. Does it mean 100,000, 200,000, 300,000, 500,000 or 1,000,000? The answer to that question is obviously context dependent. Does Atlanta have a "large" Italian population? Most people would say no, but you would be hard pressed to find 29 metros that have a larger Italian population. So would being in the top 6% of the nation's 388 metropolitan statistical areas catapult it into the ranks of cities with "large" Italian populations. Perhaps. But that's not the yardstick people are going to use. They are going to compare it to Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

I think cities like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Seattle, San Diego, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, etc. are sort of like this when it comes to Black people. As a strictly technical matter, they have more Black people than the overwhelming majority (91%) of places in the United States, even more than a lot of metros in the Deep South. But since they are relatively large metros, unlike metros like Augusta, GA, we understand that they are likely to have a larger population of any given group. Therefore, we compare them to other major cities/metros, and not metros like Montgomery.

So do all of these cities have "large" Black populations. I don't know if they are "large" or not, but they are clearly not large enough to make much of an impact on the larger Black public consciousness.
Again, the Italian example doesn't apply when you are looking at metros like Milwaukee, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, as those 3 not only have relatively high Black metro populations, but have pretty high city and above national average Black percentages. It is just a different comparison: https://www.niaf.org/culture/statistics/5187-2/

BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

There are Black people that know that Milwaukee is where Mike McGee, a former alderman started the Black Panther Militia or that musicians like Al Jarreau and Speech from the Hip Hop group Arrested Development are from there, among other things. So, it may depend on who you ask or talk to.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
And what of cities like Orlando and Raleigh which are major metros that do not have 400,000 Blacks (yet)? I have family in Milwaukee (northside). Been there once. I saw a nice sized Black population when I was there.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
And what of cities like Orlando and Raleigh which are major metros that do not have 400,000 Blacks (yet)? I have family in Milwaukee (northside). Been there once. I saw a nice sized Black population when I was there.
Exactly.....Orlando and Raleigh are a matter of time and Milwaukee's Northern half is probably 70-80% Black, give or take. This high Black concentration spills over into Brown Deer as well.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As for the numbers, so 400,000 is the "large" Black population criteria. Like Mutiny mentioned, I'd at least consider the Southern metros he mentioned. How did Boston's Black community grow so fast from around 331,000 in 2010 to that current figure? Again, here are the 2010 numbers: BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population Where's Cleveland, Norfolk, Richmond and Richmond, like Mutiny mentioned?
Boston is 349,347. That was my error.

It's not that I haven't considered the other metros he mentioned. A while back, I had a post where I listed the educational attainment stats for African Americans for about 50 or 60 metros, and so far I haven't seen anyone else on C-D do something that comprehensive. So it's not that I haven't considered them, it's just that the stars get most of the attention, which is true in all facets of life. When you turn on Sportscenter, you hear more about Lebron, James Harden, Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook and Paul George than you do Rudy Gay (who is a fine player).

The same question that's being asked here ("Why don't we discuss Black people in Birmingham?") could be asked more generally about all cities in this subforum. Why are there 1,010,427 threads comparing Los Angeles and New York? That's likely because most people, including the people who've never even lived in these places, know something about them whereas they know very little about Norfolk or Columbus, GA. When's the last time a Richmond vs Birmingham thread went on for 277 pages with a flame war causing the Mods to shut it down?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
As Mutiny77 said, those places are more notable because of demographic trends. I said this four times already so it's clear people are not following the thread, but rather replying to a specific post here or there. Earlier, I said that the Black populations we "hear about" generally meet one of the following two criteria:

1. They have large Black populations in the manner of a Detroit, St. Louis, Miami, etc. and/or;
2. They have upwardly mobile Black populations.

Raleigh is "on the radar" of Black America so to speak because of its Black middle class, which is large given its size. People tend not to spend a lot of time talking about places like Youngstown, OH, which have a decent sized Black community that's largely impoverished and uneducated.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Boston is 349,347. That was my error.

It's not that I haven't considered the other metros he mentioned. A while back, I had a post where I listed the educational attainment stats for African Americans for about 50 or 60 metros, and so far I haven't seen anyone else on C-D do something that comprehensive. So it's not that I haven't considered them, it's just that the stars get most of the attention, which is true in all facets of life. When you turn on Sportscenter, you hear more about Lebron, James Harden, Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook and Paul George than you do Rudy Gay (who is a fine player).

The same question that's being asked here ("Why don't we discuss Black people in Birmingham?") could be asked more generally about all cities in this subforum. Why are there 1,010,427 threads comparing Los Angeles and New York? That's likely because most people, including the people who've never even lived in these places, know something about them whereas they know very little about Norfolk or Columbus, GA. When's the last time a Richmond vs Birmingham thread went on for 277 pages with a flame war causing the Mods to shut it down?
I only asked about those other cities because they have 400,000 Black people in the metro.

I know no one asked about why Birmingham isn't being discusses and I get that cities get discussed on C-D as nauseum, but my point is that threads like this can actually offer more than those other threads.

Youngstown is a smaller metro than Raleigh or Orlando. So, I can see why that metro isn't mentioned as much as the other 2 areas.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 AM

If we use a random cut off for metros (75,000 Black people), Milwaukee has the worst educated of them all (tied with Flint). These are 42 metros that have a higher rate of educational attainment among African Americans than Milwaukee. And the majority of them have larger Black populations in absolute terms if not in percentage terms. We don't "hear about" Milwaukee often and this is a big reason why that is the case.

Milwaukee - 12.3%
Flint - 12.3%
Shreveport - 13.3%
Louisville - 13.5%
Columbus (GA) - 13.8%
Cleveland - 14.1%
Memphis - 14.2%
Charleston - 14.7%
Augusta - 14.9%
Cincinnati - 15.8%
Pittsburgh - 15.9%
Las Vegas - 16.3%
St. Louis - 16.7%
Detroit - 16.8%
Miami - 17.2%
Richmond - 17.4%
Philadelphia - 18.0%
Baton Rouge - 18.4%
Tampa - 18.4%
Birmingham - 18.5%
Little Rock - 19.0%
Orlando - 19.1%
Winston Salem - 19.4%
Sacramento - 19.4%
Jackson - 19.5%
Columbus (OH) - 19.8%
Oklahoma City - 20.0%
Chicago - 20.1%
Seattle - 20.2%
Greensboro - 20.6%
Columbia - 20.7%
Boston - 20.9%
San Antonio - 21.7%
San Diego - 21.7%
Charlotte - 21.7%
New York - 22.6%
Dallas - 23.1%
San Francisco - 23.1%
Nashville - 23.4%
Houston - 24.2%
Denver - 25.6%
Raleigh - 26.1%
Atlanta - 27.1%
Washington - 30.1%

Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 AM

I guess 42nd or 43rd isn't so bad, though. I wonder who the 42nd ranked tennis player in the world is.

1. Novak Djokovic
2. Roger Federer
42. Pablo Andujar

The NBA stops ranking scorers after the 40th slot.

NFL.com's cutoff for passer rating is 33. But considering there are around 100 QBs in the League, Blake Bortles is doing pretty good.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
As Mutiny77 said, those places are more notable because of demographic trends. I said this four times already so it's clear people are not following the thread, but rather replying to a specific post here or there. Earlier, I said that the Black populations we "hear about" generally meet one of the following two criteria:

1. They have large Black populations in the manner of a Detroit, St. Louis, Miami, etc. and/or;
2. They have upwardly mobile Black populations.

Raleigh is "on the radar" of Black America so to speak because of its Black middle class, which is large given its size. People tend not to spend a lot of time talking about places like Youngstown, OH, which have a decent sized Black community that's largely impoverished and uneducated.
No need to get emotional and full of yourself in all of this. Just pointing out that there are exceptions in everything in which case, these two metros among others do and coming from an Orlando perspective, it's always had a decent sized Black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or