Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 03:11 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I only disputed your rationale for the exclusion of Charleston and Savannah which made little sense in light of the inclusion of several cities that did make the list. Obviously it's more than just the presence of Black professionals in a particular city here that's a factor; cities that are popular for tourism period made the list, as well as those with sizable Black populations. Given their status as tourist destinations and their unique Black culture, it was simply a little odd to see them not on the list.
My rationale wasn't a well-constructed PhD thesis. Certainly, cities with large Black professional populations always have more stuff listed than cities with small ones, and the cities with small ones tend to be randomly listed. There might be a listing for Modesto in the coming months while there isn't one for Savannah. Most of the stuff on the list involves the usual suspects (NYC, DC, ATL, Chi, Philly, H-Town, etc.) with a few smaller markets thrown in. And most of the listings tend to be things targeted to a younger demographic. New Orleans is listed for Essence, which is not really a trip you'd take to go soak in the city's unique African American culture. You can certainly do that there, but people are mostly going to see musical acts and party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
This discussion has been had before, but Houston and Atlanta in two different tiers just doesn't sound right to me. Most of the alleged advantages that the latter is often said to have end up being nothing more than smoke and mirrors.
Atlanta has a much larger Black population, it has a higher rate of educational attainment among AAs and it is home to 2 of the top 3 HBCUs in the country. It's also the center of African American media and entertainment right now. Why would they be on the same level?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:14 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hey yall, so I was having a group discussion with some other black friends of mine from school. Were all from different Areas...Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston and we were talking about culture of black people from different places and we got to sorting regions by black culture anymore importantly their TRAITS and the regions NATIONAL PROMINENCE or importance to black people throughout the country basically we came up with this. If your state is not included its because the black population is small or we don't know about it. Please dont be hurt, INFORM US!

We ordered them from top to bottom in terms of influence and prominence. BUT I WOULD LOVE YOUR OPINION TO SHARE WITH THEM. some regions we just dont know a lot about and would like any input if you could!! Let the bickering begin!

The Chesapeake- DE MD VA DC NC *North Carolina is included because of the progressive nature of the state. Its changing, many whites are moving in and making it feel less southern and that impacts the black people as well. Also many black from the north are coming back down to VA and NC. IT also shares identical demographics with VA and is culturally tied to the Hampton Roads area along the coast. Equal emphadis on college basketball and football. Virginia Tech UVA UMD Howard Hampton NC ATnT UNC DUKE George Washington Morgan State. They've all got athletic tradition in both sorts but in college i guess it leans basketball. This is another group of blacks doing pretty welll for themselves and this groups really is culturally strong between Baltimore and Wilmington NC. Probably the most beach going black people ever. Lots of family in NY MA CT...the far north. Mostly black American with some Nigerian influences in MD DC and VA. Very unique softly southern accent. Tend to wear brighter clothes but somehow less flashy than their counterparts to the North. 20-30% black in the metros.

The Coastal South- SC GA FL These are the true southern black folks.Gullah/Geechee influenced. Fast talking, emphasis on manners, thick accent and almost carribean how 'black' they are. Tend to deviate from mainstream American culture alto. This changes of course in the Atlanta and Miami areas. But yea full of HBCUs in GA and SC. Might have a farm and still be country...had an uncle in sc growing rice peaches and bananas on his farm...wow. 30-50% black in a lot of areas.

The Tristate- NY NJ PA CT: *PA Includes Philly out to Harrisburg/Chester. The rest of PA (Pittsburgh) goes into the midwest *Our school is in CT and we decided as badly as New Haven dudes want to affiliate with NYC there is just so much New Englandness surrounding it and there is no NYC radio stations and it does actually take some time to get to NYC from there...new haven is not included. Bridgeport Stamford and Fairfield county are.

This region is usually a consistent 15% black or so throughout the metros maybe up to 20%. They are deeply invested in basketball an private education. Mostly black American with influences from Jamaican and Puerto Rican culture. Very outspoken, somewhat militant in their black pride. Big into east coast hip hop and like to travel between NYC and Philly with Jersey being the focal point. They live in the densest areas of all black people and there is alto of competition and emphasis on business money and education. Heavy accents. Like to travel up to Martha Vineyard. Not too much into HBCUs.

The Midwest- IL MO MI OH IN: Hardest hit by deindustrialization. Used to be a model of middle class black prosperity stability and upward mobility. Very cold, segregated, and the southern portions of all these states except Michigan have a real redneck vibe black must contend with. These states are 12% black on average with 50% black cities on average. They dress really well out here. Furs top hats, all that type of flashy pimp like stuff when they go out. Younger generation influenced by Drill music. Blacks here tend to be very culturally aware as they are in the plain states. They are similar to those in the lain states but give off a more aggressive vibe probably due to their larger numbers. They are also influenced by The Deep South and the Tri State. For better or for worse these are seen as indicative of the black population and our economic state throughout the country.

The DeepSouth/The Gulf- AL MS. Poverty. The Delta and the blues. Blatant Racism. And hundreds of square miles of 60-70% black areas. That's all us northerners know. Not much fashion or music to be heard of.

ArkLaTex- TX LA AR *Louisiana is here mainly because of the post-Katrina Ties it was forced to developnwith ymhouston and the northern Louisiana ties to Arkansas which sprat it from the typical gulf states of MS and AL. If anything isbshares Delta ties not Gulf. Big, boisterous and encumbered by tremendous poverty. Outside of Dallas and Houston these blacks seem not to be doing so well. These are all states with substantial black populations although they vary quite a bit. High violent crime states with very country black folks. LA and TX also have their own very distinct forms of modern hip hop (Chopped and Screwed and Bounce music). These seem to be very regional based black populations. We didn't know much about them except my friend from Chicago his family is originally from Arkansas and Mississippi. Country as all hell.

The West- CA OR WA NV CO AZ Probably the most integrated of the substantial black populations out there. Many of these black people date inter-racially and have an accent where they say all the R's in word heavily. Kind of southern but different accent wise. They like chill music, party rap music and have a very laid back gangster style when they decide to get gangsta. The black youth out there seem to love living in shiny new subdivisions, smoking weed and getting 'ratchet'. Very likely to have Asian or Mexican friends. These states range from 3-8.5% black...being about 5% on average. Car Centric culture. Appears to be a really laid back lifestyle with not too much focus on advancement like in the tri State. Metro areas About 7% black on average. All black American. Fashion wise prefer tank tops cargo shorts graphic tees and brighter colors. WASHINGTON has a huge Basketball culture. huge.

Southern New England- MA CT RI : *CT Borderline including New Haven, definitely everything North and East of New Haven. Waterbury is included.

This is my home region. These States are 7-11% Black. The Metro areas vary widely from RI to CT. But go from 7% black to 13%. The cities can get up to 45% Black *Brockton, MA/Hartford, CT. The blacks here are 50% immigrants and theyre second generation kids. Many from Cape Verde, Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, the DR and Nigeria. These foreign blacks tend to create a culture that take elements of traditional New England peppiness and makes them urban. Flashy bold polo shirts and polo hats, clean cut haircuts, North face jackets and occasionally boat shoes. The style is unique and identifiable. The accent also drops all 'R's' and makes most vowel sounds into the 'eh' sound. a/e/i/o/ui....ALL turn into eh. The African Americans found only in CT and MA are very similar to the Tri-state but tend to get along with whites well. Blacks in these areas can be found in extremely dense neighborhoods, the culture includes an emphasis on basketball and community activism. These blacks are lowkey, quite and pretty rude compared to most blacks. Not into state schools or HBCUS. The nexuses of the culture are New Haven and Boston. Pretty Isolated, and heavily carribean influenced, often outnumbered by partially black puerto Ricans and Dominicans 2 or 3 to 1..even more so than in the Tri State. Didnt have significant black populations until the 1990s. Tend to all rent and work almost entirely community oriented jobs or service jobs with an underestimated influence because of the lowkey nature. MANY famous blacks you know are from here,

Appalachia- TN KY WV

The population varies widely from 3-4% black in WV to 17% black in TN. Tjey live in the heart of Klan land. Usually in very country ghettoes in places like Rand, WV or Memphis Tennessee. They have a pretty noticeable impact on black culture and are known. They have funny accents though, but this changes in Western Tennessee where it gets quite black and more Delta influenced. These folk seem to have a lot of relatives in Indiana Ohio and Michigan. Even Pennsylvania, this share a culture with the midwest more so than with the coastal south and Chesapeake to the east and south. Again we did not know much about these black since we have never been to these states and dont know the area.

The North- MN WI : 6% Black states BUt very very different. Wisconsin shares much more in common with the plains states and the Mid west due to proximity most likely. The white legislators and populous seems more prejudiced. Maybe its due to Milwaukee resembling the inner cities of Cleveland or Chicago. While Wisconsin is a middle of the road state itis usually ranked one of the wost states for black people to live. Minnesota on the other hand, although historically has a tiny black population is now one of the fastest groing black populations do primarily to East African immigrants. There is also a strong strong liberal bent in this state tht makes it more open to blacks. Culturally there isnt much to say about these guys since they're not in the spot light. I do know that they make some decent musicians on the low. K-Camp, Rico Love-WI, Prince and Cardo-MN. Minnesota has a burgeoning basketball presence on the collegiate and High School level as do most cold weather black people. ...WASHINGTON.

The Flat Plains- NE KS IA 3-6% black areas. Blacks here are generally forgotten and live in cities or surrounding towns that are 15-25% black. There domains appear to be somewhat run down btu largely suburban. I was told from my Chicago friend these are Black people who were pushed out of the larger and blacker Mid Western states for one reason or the other. There seems to be a high degree of anti black sentiment in these areas amongst whites. Personally I couldnt see myself living out here at all. Needing a car to go everywhere and living under permafrost in the winter. Lots of these blacks have family members that moved out west to California to pursue their dreams, and maybe in Nevada or Arizona right now. They dont seem to be country but their accent is a mix of Mid Western/Upland South with a little bit of that Black California accent. I generally like the black out there as they seem to be racially aware and down to earth. Not living in abject o poverty, not really wealthy, just living.
Rand is about 35% Black or so, with adjacent Malden(where Booker T. Washington grew up for a time) being about 20% Black, but actually on the other side of Charleston is another small community by the name of Institute, which is a predominately Black community that is home to HBCU WV State University. Charleston, which is about 16% Black, has its Black population concentrated on the West Side of the city and this goes into nearby Dunbar, which is also about 12-13% Black. Dunbar essentially bridges Institute and Charleston's West Side. You actually have a Black middle class present in the Institute/Dunbar area: Census Block Group 010400-2 in Kanawha County, West Virginia
Census Block Group 010400-2 in Kanawha County, West Virginia Income and Careers

Here are some street views in that area of Institute: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3780...KQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3839...Ew!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3794...gA!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3793...TA!2e0!6m1!1e1
So, even WV has a predominately Black, middle class area that you can point to.

WV's Eastern Panhandle around Martinsburg and Charles Town actually have a Black middle class presence, which could attributed to its proximity and rail access into DC. Census Block Group 971900-2 in Berkeley County, West Virginia
Census Block Group 971900-2 in Berkeley County, West Virginia Income and Careers

Charles Town, WV Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Shepherdstown, WV Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢
Shepherdstown, WV Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Both of those communities are about 15% Black, with some others in/near the percentage range in that area. Many people from the DC area are making their way to that area of WV.

Beckley and Bluefield are both in the 20-25% Black range and you can find some highly/predominately Black small towns in poor, rural McDowell County like Northfork, Gary, Kimball and Keystone. All are in the 25-70% Black range and at its peak, McDowell County was about 25% Black.

Here is a list of communities in WV by Black percentage: West Virginia Black Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data (some aren't listed) So, for WV, its Black population is very regionalized and/or in/around the bigger cities in the state.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-29-2015 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
This discussion has been had before, but Houston and Atlanta in two different tiers just doesn't sound right to me. Most of the alleged advantages that the latter is often said to have end up being nothing more than smoke and mirrors.
From any objective stat you can find (population, population growth, rates of educational attainment, rates of business ownership, political leadership, etc.) to more subjective things (music, media, history, etc.), Houston is clearly a step below Atlanta, but still relatively high, in terms of all things Black. I mean before Houston elected its first (and so far, only) Black mayor in the late 90's, it was the largest city in the nation to have never done so. By that time, Atlanta had already had six straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, and has had an African American mayor since.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My rationale wasn't a well-constructed PhD thesis. Certainly, cities with large Black professional populations always have more stuff listed than cities with small ones, and the cities with small ones tend to be randomly listed. There might be a listing for Modesto in the coming months while there isn't one for Savannah. Most of the stuff on the list involves the usual suspects (NYC, DC, ATL, Chi, Philly, H-Town, etc.) with a few smaller markets thrown in. And most of the listings tend to be things targeted to a younger demographic. New Orleans is listed for Essence, which is not really a trip you'd take to go soak in the city's unique African American culture. You can certainly do that there, but people are mostly going to see musical acts and party.
It didn't have to be a well-constructed PhD thesis; it just didn't make much sense with the rationale you gave.

And I wouldn't call Charleston and Savannah "random listings," but OK.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It didn't have to be a well-constructed PhD thesis; it just didn't make much sense with the rationale you gave.
I only gave that list a cursory glance. I'm posting a lot of stuff here. Can I get a break?

Quote:
And I wouldn't call Charleston and Savannah "random listings," but OK.
They are random as far as the site is concerned. They don't appear often, if at all. There are 4,442,869 Black people in the U.S. with a college degree and more than half of them live on the East Coast (DC to NYC) and in Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, L.A. and the Bay Area. So yes, smaller cities like Charleston tend to be "randomly listed" because that's actually what happens.

You really don't even see much posted for larger cities like Boston. Some of the smaller metros like Minneapolis are listed because they are having conventions there for frats or other Black organizations.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Atlanta has a much larger Black population,
I think the difference is ~700K, and that gap may be closing.

Quote:
it has a higher rate of educational attainment among AAs
Minor difference in percentages, the last time I checked.

Quote:
and it is home to 2 of the top 3 HBCUs in the country.
True but they're quite small. WithTSU and PVAM, Houston actually has a larger physical HBCU enrollment than metro Atlanta.

Quote:
It's also the center of African American media and entertainment right now.
...And there's the smoke and mirrors.

I'm not saying Atlanta has no advantages. I just don't think said advantages are important enough to place it an entire tier above Houston. I used to think of the A as being the end all and be all for every negro in the South...until I moved there. My new perception is reality.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:46 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
From any objective stat you can find (population, population growth, rates of educational attainment, rates of business ownership, political leadership, etc.) to more subjective things (music, media, history, etc.), Houston is clearly a step below Atlanta, but still relatively high, in terms of all things Black. I mean before Houston elected its first (and so far, only) Black mayor in the late 90's, it was the largest city in the nation to have never done so. By that time, Atlanta had already had six straight mayoral terms with an African American in the office, and has had an African American mayor since.
No surprise since Atlanta proper has been predominantly black for generations now. Houston hasn't even been close to being predominantly black since the days of the antebellum South.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I think the difference is ~700K, and that gap may be closing.
That's about the size of a medium-sized metro area. That's not small. LOL.

Quote:
Minor difference in percentages, the last time I checked.
And big difference in the number of professionals. Around 140,000.

Quote:
True but they're quite small. WithTSU and PVAM, Houston actually has a larger physical HBCU enrollment than metro Atlanta.
Who cares? Princeton is quite small compared to Mississippi State. The size doesn't matter; the prominence does.

Quote:
...And there's the smoke and mirrors.
More like there's the delusions.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
No surprise since Atlanta proper has been predominantly black for generations now. Houston hasn't even been close to being predominantly black since the days of the antebellum South.
And that's the point. It has a stronger Black political stucture and more prominent Black institutions in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.