U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 03:57 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's about the size of a medium-sized metro area. That's not small. LOL.

And big difference in the number of professionals. Around 140,000.

Who cares? Princeton is quite small compared to Mississippi State. The size doesn't matter; the prominence does.
Exactly. So 700000 more black folks or 100000 more "professionals" doesn't matter that much does it? Quantity doesn't equal quality.

How about the fact that more Atlantans are heading for Texas than vice versa? I think that says something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 03:59 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
And that's the point. It has a stronger Black political stucture and more prominent Black institutions in general.
Actually it only has to do with the fact that Atlanta proper is far smaller. Houston could become majority black by shrinking its city limits down to include its black hoods.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:13 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
I only gave that list a cursory glance. I'm posting a lot of stuff here. Can I get a break?
It's okay to take a break sometimes.

Quote:
They are random as far as the site is concerned. They don't appear often, if at all. There are 4,442,869 Black people in the U.S. with a college degree and more than half of them live on the East Coast (DC to NYC) and in Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, L.A. and the Bay Area. So yes, smaller cities like Charleston tend to be "randomly listed" because that's actually what happens.

You really don't even see much posted for larger cities like Boston.
Then several of the other cities I listed would be even more random. Two cities noted as being tourist destinations with a unique Black culture--in the Deep South, no less--may not be on the radar of professional Blacks like other cities, but it shouldn't be considered an oddball choice for a vacation by any means.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
No surprise since Atlanta proper has been predominantly black for generations now. Houston hasn't even been close to being predominantly black since the days of the antebellum South.
That's kind of the point though.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:15 PM

28,251 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Exactly. So 700000 more black folks or 100000 more "professionals" doesn't matter that much does it? Quantity doesn't equal quality.
It certainly matters in that context. That means there will be a lot more to do for Black professionals. And it's 140,000 more, not 100,000 more.

Quote:
How about the fact that more Atlantans are heading for Texas than vice versa? I think that says something.
Okay. When Houston reaches 300,000 Blacks with college degrees, then you might have something to work with. Until then, it is clearly a step down from Atlanta. DC, Atlanta and NYC are clearly the Alpha dogs here.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Even in the context of size not mattering but prominence, Atlanta still has a leg up on Houston with the King family, Andrew Young, John Lewis, Joseph Lowery, a ton more Black celebrities, etc.

Well we're not talking about the entire state of Texas or all Atlantans here.

Furthermore, if true as far as Black Atlantans migrating to Houston specifically goes, it only would only say that you're comparing a maybe 5 year trend at most (due to the worst economic recession in a couple generations) to possibly one in the opposite direction that has probably been in place for two decades or so. Now that Atlanta's economy has essentially recovered and Houston's boom has slowed, I wouldn't expect present trends to continue indefinitely.

And there are probably more Black New Yorkers headed to Houston right now than vice versa, but that's not saying much in and of itself.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 05-29-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 04:22 PM

28,251 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then several of the other cities I listed would be even more random. Two cities noted as being tourist destinations with a unique Black culture--in the Deep South, no less--may not be on the radar of professional Blacks like other cities, but it shouldn't be considered an oddball choice for a vacation by any means.
I didn't say they would be "oddball" choices. When I said "randomly listed," I meant just that. Perhaps "seldomly listed" would have been a better choice of words. And I suppose they are seldomly listed because there just aren't that many Black professionals there relative to other places.

Offhand, the only thing I can think of that might be listed would be Spoleto in Charleston. But most of the events tend to be Black-focused (i.e., Afropunk, Essence, etc.). The website is not recommending "vacations" as in you can go there, have a great time, and enjoy Black culture/history in a general sense. It is recommending making trips to specific events like Made In America, Art & Soul, and the Roots Picnic. So what is happening in Charleston or Savannah this summer that is along those lines?

Old 05-29-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
It certainly matters in that context. That means there will be a lot more to do for Black professionals. And it's 140,000 more, not 100,000 more.

Okay. When Houston reaches 300,000 Blacks with college degrees, then you might have something to work with. Until then, it is clearly a step down from Atlanta. DC, Atlanta and NYC are clearly the Alpha dogs here.
Even Black Houstonians I know wouldn't disagree with this, LOL. A bit anecdotal, but in the FB groups I'm in that consist of a lot of professional Blacks (particularly Greek groups), DC and Atlanta tend to have the largest constituencies by a considerable amount. NYC/NJ tends to be next with Houston having a respectable presence but not at the level of those three.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:29 PM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
I didn't say they would be "oddball" choices. When I said "randomly listed," I meant just that. Perhaps "seldomly listed" would have been a better choice of words. And I suppose they are seldomly listed because there just aren't that many Black professionals there relative to other places.

Offhand, the only thing I can think of that might be listed would be Spoleto in Charleston. But most of the events tend to be Black-focused (i.e., Afropunk, Essence, etc.). The website is not recommending "vacations" as in you can go there, have a great time, and enjoy Black culture/history in a general sense. It is recommending making trips to specific events like Made In America, Art & Soul, and the Roots Picnic. So what is happening in Charleston or Savannah this summer that is along those lines?

Wouldn't something like this apply?: MOJA Arts Festival 2014, Charleston SC That didn't take long to find either.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Ah, okay; you clarified things a bit in the last paragraph. As far as Charleston and Savannah go, you have the MOJA Arts Festival and Colour of Music in Charleston and Black Heritage Festival in Savannah and the Original Gullah Festival in nearby Beaufort, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or