U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times

Advertisements

Looking at that list again, an event like this would fit in with that group: Rochester Summer Fest |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 05:39 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It certainly matters in that context. That means there will be a lot more to do for Black professionals. And it's 140,000 more, not 100,000 more.
More like what exactly?

Ask the average Atlantan who has moved to Houston what it is they miss in regards to the black experience. Watch them struggle to give you an answer.

Quote:
Okay. When Houston reaches 300,000 Blacks with college degrees, then you might have something to work with. Until then, it is clearly a step down from Atlanta. DC, Atlanta and NYC are clearly the Alpha dogs here.
Sorry, but it isn't so clear to me. But, again, this is coming from someone with extensive experience IN both cities. I'm not saying that makes me right but I am saying that I have valid reasons for disagreeing with your ranking. This is all subjective.

I think Atlanta is a beautiful town inside and out, but I also find its purported relevance to all of Black America to be a bit overhyped. And in 2015, I no longer see it as the undisputed southern mecca for our people.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:14 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
More like what exactly?

Ask the average Atlantan who has moved to Houston what it is they miss in regards to the black experience. Watch them struggle to give you an answer.
Nightlife would probably be one. I've heard several Black Houstonians say that Atlanta's is better.

Quote:
I think Atlanta is a beautiful town inside and out, but I also find its purported relevance to all of Black America to be a bit overhyped. And in 2015, I no longer see it as the undisputed southern mecca for our people.
It's not; there's also DC.

I think the issue here is in how you're perceiving the term "mecca" which is indicated by your use of the term "relevance." In relation to Atlanta, it doesn't mean, nor has it ever meant, that it's the end-all, be-all for Black people and that Black people can't succeed anywhere else. However, Atlanta does have one of the largest and most affluent, educated Black populations in the country; a critical mass of Black educational and cultural institutions; a plethora of Black media and entertainment outlets; and long-standing Black political, civic, and business leadership. These are discrete categories where a clear delineation is shown between Atlanta and Houston. The term "mecca" was never intended to mean Atlanta is a Shangri-La for all Black folks in America. There are plenty of Black folks who dislike Atlanta or who have no desire to live or even visit and that hasn't negatively impacted their lives one iota, but that doesn't diminish Atlanta's status as a significant hub for practically all things Black.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nightlife would probably be one. I've heard several Black Houstonians say that Atlanta's is better.

I think the issue here is in how you're perceiving the term "mecca" which is indicated by your use of the term "relevance." In relation to Atlanta, it doesn't mean, nor has it ever meant, that it's the end-all, be-all for Black people and that Black people can't succeed anywhere else. However, Atlanta does have one of the largest and most affluent, educated Black populations in the country; a critical mass of Black educational and cultural institutions; a plethora of Black media and entertainment outlets; and long-standing Black political, civic, and business leadership. These are discrete categories where a clear delineation is shown between Atlanta and Houston. The term "mecca" was never intended to mean Atlanta is a Shangri-La for all Black folks in America. There are plenty of Black folks who dislike Atlanta or who have no desire to live or even visit and that hasn't negatively impacted their lives one iota, but that doesn't diminish Atlanta's status as a significant hub for practically all things Black.
Then it shall be the one true Mecca of the South/Southeast Hehe

But in all seriousness, ATL is still a major blip on Black America's radar whether it's overhyped or not, but I know Houston is no slouch either given its growing profile as well as having some visible influence within Black America.

Speaking of nightlife, what are the best or most popular neighborhoods/areas for Blacks (not just African Americans, but all members of the Diaspora) to patronize in both ATL and H-Town?

Old 05-30-2015, 06:53 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Ah, okay; you clarified things a bit in the last paragraph. As far as Charleston and Savannah go, you have the MOJA Arts Festival and Colour of Music in Charleston and Black Heritage Festival in Savannah and the Original Gullah Festival in nearby Beaufort, SC.
Those are interesting though they appear to be geared mostly towards families/and or older crowds. I Don't Do Clubs is basically people looking to turn up outside of a club context.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:06 AM

267 posts, read 238,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hey yall, so I was having a group discussion with some other black friends of mine from school. Were all from different Areas...Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston and we were talking about culture of black people from different places and we got to sorting regions by black culture anymore importantly their TRAITS and the regions NATIONAL PROMINENCE or importance to black people throughout the country basically we came up with this. If your state is not included its because the black population is small or we don't know about it. Please dont be hurt, INFORM US!

We ordered them from top to bottom in terms of influence and prominence. BUT I WOULD LOVE YOUR OPINION TO SHARE WITH THEM. some regions we just dont know a lot about and would like any input if you could!! Let the bickering begin!

The West- CA OR WA NV CO AZ Probably the most integrated of the substantial black populations out there. Many of these black people date inter-racially and have an accent where they say all the R's in word heavily. Kind of southern but different accent wise. They like chill music, party rap music and have a very laid back gangster style when they decide to get gangsta. The black youth out there seem to love living in shiny new subdivisions, smoking weed and getting 'ratchet'. Very likely to have Asian or Mexican friends. These states range from 3-8.5% black...being about 5% on average. Car Centric culture. Appears to be a really laid back lifestyle with not too much focus on advancement like in the tri State. Metro areas About 7% black on average. All black American. Fashion wise prefer tank tops cargo shorts graphic tees and brighter colors. WASHINGTON has a huge Basketball culture. huge.
Where's Alaska?

Black Americans make up 3.3 - 3.6% of Alaska's population.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Looking at that list again, an event like this would fit in with that group: Rochester Summer Fest |
This does look like it would fit in. I don't see too many people over the age of 40 or under the age of 21 being at an Elle Varner concert.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:37 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
Lol! And I've heard Atlantans say the exact opposite. Go figure.

Quote:

I just have to reiterate that my point isn't that Atlanta has no advantages. But in both Houston and Atlanta, you have two cities with a very large and international black population of 1,000,000+ with a relatively equal proportion of those who are educated, undereducated, upper class, working class, or simply poor. This is what one would actually observe in both cities. These are the things that matter from day to day, and it's what separates them from other cities like Memphis or Cleveland. Any other distinctions to be made about black life between Atlanta and Houston are mostly superficial, and dare I say needlessly racist.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Lol! And I've heard Atlantans say the exact opposite. Go figure.

I just have to reiterate that my point isn't that Atlanta has no advantages. But in both Houston and Atlanta, you have two cities with a very large and international black population of 1,000,000+ with a relatively equal proportion of those who are educated, undereducated, upper class, working class, or simply poor. This is what one would actually observe in both cities. These are the things that matter from day to day, and it's what separates them from other cities like Memphis or Cleveland. Any other distinctions to be made about black life between Atlanta and Houston are largely superficial.
Forget Atlanta. Houston would have a tough enough time separating itself from Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Philadelphia or Miami. Of these cities, you could give the nod to Chicago (or maybe even LA) over Houston, but I broke Tier 2 into a Tier 2a and 2b to suggest that they are all for the most part pretty close. Even Philly, which lags most of them in educational attainment, has a good argument given its sheer numbers and the historical influence of its Black community. Houston is closer to these metros than it is to Atlanta by nearly every objective measure.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus64 View Post
Where's Alaska?

Black Americans make up 3.3 - 3.6% of Alaska's population.
That's true, as Anchorage and Fairbanks have notable Black populations due to the military presence in both areas. Fairbanks had a Black guy that was the mayor about 20-25 years ago and I believe that he grew up there too. East High in Anchorage is known for its Basketball program which is where Mario Chalmers(Kansas and Miami Heat) and Trajan Langdon(Duke) attended HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or