U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 09:49 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't "decide" that was the difference. It is the difference.
But in your first reply to me you said that there was a great difference in the rate itself. That is what I initially said was wrong.

If the fact that there are are 140K more educated blacks in Atlanta truly makes a difference, what do you have to say about the larger number of poor and uneducated blacks that are there?

Quote:
Blacks in in the Bay Area have a higher rate of educational attainment than Blacks in Houston. So that puts it on Houston's level, right, especially considering they are more affluent as well.
Only if the percentage of educated blacks is the single deciding factor here. I don't think it is, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:51 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
You know the biggest difference I observed between Atlanta and Houston? There are a lot more dreadlocks in the former.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM

29,901 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Consider your point of view. You've lived in Atlanta but you've never lived in Texas. I've lived in both.

Can we agree that when these people are saying that ______'s nightlife is "better", it's possible that they're really just saying it's different?
That's possible, and going back to your earlier point, that difference (more nightlife venues of various types that cater to a Black clientele) is something that many who have moved to Houston from Atlanta may possibly miss.

Quote:
I feel I've already stated why these things do not matter as much as you believe so. You say I'm slighting Atlanta and I believe both of you are undermining Houston, so I guess it works both ways. But if you're waiting for me to side with popular opinion and completely disregard my own reality, you'll be waiting forever. As far as I'm concerned, no, the two cities are not in a different league. That is nothing more than hyperbole.
The differences do matter, but the context in which they matter should be recognized. It's not within a daily routine context, but it's definitely more than on paper. I've not undermined Houston in this discussion; I've pointed out the objective, factual differences between the two cities that actually exist. Aside from that, on a subjective level, there's just a difference in terms of the way both cities play up their Black culture. Atlanta does it much more than Houston, and in more "in your face" ways. Just two examples: Hartsfield-Jackson has historical exhibits that highlight the role of Blacks in Atlanta's past and has exhibits of African art; it almost feels like a Black cultural museum in some ways. And when Atlanta hosted the Olympics, the opening ceremony included a tribute to Dr. King and highlighted Black fraternities and sororities.

Quote:
By the way, Bajan brought up the RATE of degreed persons between both cities. When I point out that the difference is minimal, he then decides that it's actually about the physical difference. The word negligible is nowhere in my post.
Well of course the difference in raw numbers is important; after all, Houston's rate of degreed Blacks is the same as Austin's. Both Atlanta and Houston have what I'd consider to be a critical mass of degreed Blacks, but the difference in sheer numbers put Atlanta in another category ahead of Houston. You didn't use the word negligible, but it was implied.

All in all, I'm not saying Houston is at the bottom of the totem pole because that's silly and defies logic. It's closer to Atlanta than most other metros with a sizable Black population, but Atlanta has more Black people, institutions, history, businesses, etc. that put it ahead of Houston.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:31 PM

267 posts, read 238,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's true, as Anchorage and Fairbanks have notable Black populations due to the military presence in both areas. Fairbanks had a Black guy that was the mayor about 20-25 years ago and I believe that he grew up there too. East High in Anchorage is known for its Basketball program which is where Mario Chalmers(Kansas and Miami Heat) and Trajan Langdon(Duke) attended HS.
Alaska may not be as high of a black population as in the southern states, but yup, they're definitely here. Most born here, and some migrated from other states.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:21 PM

56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus64 View Post
Alaska may not be as high of a black population as in the southern states, but yup, they're definitely here. Most born here, and some migrated from other states.
For sure and how could I forget about Juneau's Carlos Boozer.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:03 PM

48,013 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus64 View Post
From what I've heard, the military plays a role.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 PM

267 posts, read 238,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
From what I've heard, the military plays a role.
Yup

Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 PM

Here is the article about that mayor of Fairbanks, as I remember reading this as a kid: https://books.google.com/books?id=1M...rbanks&f=false

Old 05-31-2015, 06:35 AM

48,013 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is the article about that mayor of Fairbanks, as I remember reading this as a kid: https://books.google.com/books?id=1M...rbanks&f=false
I remember reading about him in high school. I didn't find out about him through Ebony Magazine. I stumbled across something on the internet. A long time ago(teenage years) I wanted to leave Georgia and go somewhere out west. I thought about Alaska. And then I wondered about Blacks out there. I couldn't find very much, but I did find out about Fairbanks' first Black mayor. From what I read, it was a different culture up there. More individualistic, more about the person. Part of why James Hayes got elected.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I remember reading about him in high school. I didn't find out about him through Ebony Magazine. I stumbled across something on the internet. A long time ago(teenage years) I wanted to leave Georgia and go somewhere out west. I thought about Alaska. And then I wondered about Blacks out there. I couldn't find very much, but I did find out about Fairbanks' first Black mayor. From what I read, it was a different culture up there. More individualistic, more about the person. Part of why James Hayes got elected.
Yeah, I was in my teens then and that is the same impression I got as well. I noticed that he and his mom actually moved from Sacramento up to Fairbanks with a minister's family. I'm curious if that minister's family was an Air Force family, as the Air Force has a strong presence in both of those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or