U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 AM

47,992 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I was in my teens then and that is the same impression I got as well. I noticed that he and his mom actually moved from Sacramento up to Fairbanks with a minister's family. I'm curious if that minister's family was an Air Force family, as the Air Force has a strong presence in both of those areas.
It still resonates with me about how he got there. In a way, one can say it's like a second chance. From what I read he used to do odd jobs there. I sometimes wonder what it might have been like to grow up Black in Alaska when he was a child.

The military presence is big in Fairbanks, as well as Anchorage, and some of the Aleutian Islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
But in your first reply to me you said that there was a great difference in the rate itself. That is what I initially said was wrong.
Um, that's not what I said. It's always easy refuting arguments you create out of thin air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Atlanta has a much larger Black population, it has a higher rate of educational attainment among AAs and it is home to 2 of the top 3 HBCUs in the country. It's also the center of African American media and entertainment right now. Why would they be on the same level?
I don't see the word "great," "major," "significant," "large," or even "big" as it relates to educational attainment anywhere in that post. Where do you see that? My point was that it didn't make any sense to put Houston on Atlanta's level when it falls short against it in almost every objective category. Not only does Atlanta have more Black people period, but the educational attainment among Blacks there is higher than it is in Houston, which translates into a much larger Black professional class.

Quote:
If the fact that there are are 140K more educated blacks in Atlanta truly makes a difference, what do you have to say about the larger number of poor and uneducated blacks that are there?
This is silly. You could say the same about any metro that has a much smaller raw number of Black people. Even here, Houston loses since it has a larger percentage of Black people living below the poverty line than Atlanta.

Atlanta - 21.3%
Houston - 22.3%

I mean, you can make silly statements like "Atlanta has more poor Black people," but the Bay Area has far fewer poor Black people than both.

Quote:
Only if the percentage of educated blacks is the single deciding factor here. I don't think it is, though.
Who said that? It's like you're arguing with yourself here. We've already gone through multiple reasons why Atlanta ranks ahead of Houston here. Educational attainment is simply one factor. There's also the fact that Atlanta has much more Black people and is a significantly Blacker metro than Houston (33% vs. 16%), has much more influential Black political and business leadership, etc.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It still resonates with me about how he got there. In a way, one can say it's like a second chance. From what I read he used to do odd jobs there. I sometimes wonder what it might have been like to grow up Black in Alaska when he was a child.

The military presence is big in Fairbanks, as well as Anchorage, and some of the Aleutian Islands.
It doesn't hurt that the state has the 3rd highest Black median household in the country and is above the national figure: U.S. Median Black Household Income State Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Fairbanks metro has a Black median household income just over $60,000 and in the Anchorage metro, it is just under $54,000, with both being over the national figure. So, these 2 are examples of areas with a strong military presence having a relatively high/above average Black median household income.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:10 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea coastal NC got the gullah influence my family is from Wilmington and rural metro Charleston and Florence. My grandma sounds geechee, my mom has a traditional Boston accent with southern words like yall aint Dem and dat and then I have the accent in the video. Were a mixed bag. My brother moved to LA and sounds like a damn locd out alien to me aha yo I hate it
Your brother took up that Black Cali accent? How long has he lived out there? He probably sounds like Ice Cube, or Snoop with those hard R's they always speak with "We headed to the Pork(Park) in Ron's Coor(Car) cuz" All in All, this is a VERY cool thread OP. I'm not from Boston, but I have a friend who's from Dorchester. Black Bostonians sound like New Yorkers to me, moreso than they sound like their White New Englander counterparts. I've met plenty of Black/Haitian Bostonians, and none of them have that stereotypical Non-Rhotic "Pahked my Cah" accent. I've only heard it on the White Bostonians.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Your brother took up that Black Cali accent? How long has he lived out there? He probably sounds like Ice Cube, or Snoop with those hard R's they always speak with "We headed to the Pork(Park) in Ron's Coor(Car) cuz" All in All, this is a VERY cool thread OP. I'm not from Boston, but I have a friend who's from Dorchester. Black Bostonians sound like New Yorkers to me, moreso than they sound like their White New Englander counterparts. I've met plenty of Black/Haitian Bostonians, and none of them have that stereotypical Non-Rhotic "Pahked my Cah" accent. I've only heard it on the White Bostonians.
This guy originally from Cambridge actually has that "Boston" accent(starts around 1:10): http://youtu.be/ijrvPcjd7kU

Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post

Glad youre enjoying the thread

He says Coor and "worter" (water) "Wayer" (where).

Older black Bostonians born from say 1950-1970 have it. Probablly because they were so completely surrounded by the Irish Bostonians on all sides. Blacks didn't really start filling up city neighborhoods for real forreal till the 70s and 80s in Boston... Because, New York .So my mom and uncle born in 1961 and 1958 respectively have a STRONG Boston accent. however the aunt born in 1969..their sister, doesn't..

Black new Yorkers say "all" "thought" and" coffee".. very very different from even CT blacks let alone ones in mass... Its like they sneak in a silent w if that makes any sense... We also don't say bruva muva and fahva because why would you?

Its been my observation that the flattening and aligning of all vowel sounds is most a black Boston youth accent. Im not sure where it originates from though..too early to tell. I will say I hear these pronunciations sometimes

'Cause-->cez
Kid--->ked.
Hip--->hep
Playing-->'plen'

In this first link you'll hear a kid who sounds more like a black new Yorkers with only a slight accent I described above.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTUUwPQbok

In this second link you will hear a kid who sounds MUCH more like a white Bostonian with only a slight accent as I described above.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_pHkw5xiM

2 things of note.

1. These guys are from New Bedford which is closer to providence than Boston culturally geographically and demographic wise. If you peep the first video i posted "juwan Gooding" hed be a little more representative of 'the new Boston accent'

2. These guys are probably cape verdean or Part spanish. Or something... but would be seen as black in Massachusetts.

Final point sorry the videos were so deep but hey at least theyre inspirational..sort of...

Old 05-31-2015, 05:42 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times
And just for good measure..... because I know the argument will be made that one or both of them isn't "really" black" is like to say there were two more dark skin, coarse hair, dudes with the same type of testimonies from new Bedford but their native accents were too strong..one recently immigrated from Jamaica and another from cape verde...

There is this guy though who is definitively black. Out of the three he sounds most typical too me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlPIsnjkPEk

These guys are clearly 'lower class' (god that felt bougie to type..) and as a result tend to have stronger accent than you'd find among black proffesionals in the area. I think you would find the more classic Boston accent amongst black professionals simply due to their age bracket and thus having grown up in a much more whitewashed setting.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,748,511 times
Educated blacks are only in the big cities. This is the problem medium sized cities have.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:48 AM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Educated blacks are only in the big cities. This is the problem medium sized cities have.
Certainly the biggest concentration of educated Blacks are in bigger cities, but several midsized cities in the South in particular often have respectable populations of degreed Blacks.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Certainly the biggest concentration of educated Blacks are in bigger cities, but several midsized cities in the South in particular often have respectable populations of degreed Blacks.
Many college towns in general as well. If I'm not mistaken, I think that Ithaca has the highest percentage of Black people 25 and older with at least a Bachelor's degree and up out of any metro in the US. I'll have to check that again to make sure though. In 2000, 32% of Black males and 43% of Black females that fit the criteria in that had at least a Bachelor's degree: Ithaca, NY - Profiles - diversitydata.org - data for diverse and equitable metropolitan areas (towards the bottom) You can search other areas, but keep in mind that it will be data from 2000 and as a frame of reference, 24% of Americans 25 and older had at least a Bachelor's degree at the time. It was 28.5% in 2010. I believe that it is around 31% currently, nationally.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-04-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or