U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 AM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, the GAP Band, named after Greenwood, Archer and Pine in North Tulsa, which is where the 1921 Tulsa(Greenwood) Riot took place. It was also referred to as the Black Wall Street. What is also interesting is that planes may have been used in the riot/attack.

I believe some of those towns in Oklahoma still exist as well. Boley is one that comes to mind, but i don't think it is even predominately Black anymore.
Very few people know that about Tulsa. I suspect some people who listen to Charlie Wilson today may not know that the GAP Band was named for that area in North Tulsa.

I wasn't taught about the 1921 Tulsa riot in school, at least not as much as I would have liked. I learned of it on Nick News. A kid television network taught it to me before my teachers ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ano7iQRzCk

And the first African-American to play for the Boston Red Sox(the last team to integrate), Pumpsie Green, was born in Boley. He grew up in Richmond,California.
Boley, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pumpsie Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Boley is still predominantly Black, at 54%.

Two things Booker T. Washington said about Boley.
"They have recovered something of the knack for trade that their fore-parents in Africa were famous for".

"Boley, Indian Territory, is the youngest, most enterprising, and in many ways the most interesting of the Negro towns in the US.

Interestingly, another Black baseball player born in Oklahoma, Willie Stargell from the "We Are Family" Pirates of 1979, was born in Earlsboro,Oklahoma, and grew up in Alameda,California. Sounds like a connection between Blacks in Oklahoma and California's East Bay region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:43 AM

203 posts, read 287,988 times
Quote:
I know in Lansing, they defionkly played the music on the radio and you would get the New Dance Show on TV.

I also know that parts of SW Michigan around Benton Harbor/St. Joseph would get house music from a radio station in Chicago(B96 at the time).
Unfortunately there was no real radio station in gr the only played oldies and is on sun up to sun down and its on am

Old 06-11-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Very few people know that about Tulsa. I suspect some people who listen to Charlie Wilson today may not know that the GAP Band was named for that area in North Tulsa.

I wasn't taught about the 1921 Tulsa riot in school, at least not as much as I would have liked. I learned of it on Nick News. A kid television network taught it to me before my teachers ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ano7iQRzCk

And the first African-American to play for the Boston Red Sox(the last team to integrate), Pumpsie Green, was born in Boley. He grew up in Richmond,California.
Boley, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pumpsie Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Boley is still predominantly Black, at 54%.

Two things Booker T. Washington said about Boley.
"They have recovered something of the knack for trade that their fore-parents in Africa were famous for".

"Boley, Indian Territory, is the youngest, most enterprising, and in many ways the most interesting of the Negro towns in the US.

Interestingly, another Black baseball player born in Oklahoma, Willie Stargell from the "We Are Family" Pirates of 1979, was born in Earlsboro,Oklahoma, and grew up in Alameda,California. Sounds like a connection between Blacks in Oklahoma and California's East Bay region.
Since I have moved here to okc. I have found its a great big connection between oklahoma and california. Its alot of african americans that migrated to the bakersfield, fresno area. There are alot now moving back which are the grandkids of those who left in the 50's.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 AM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
Unfortunately there was no real radio station in gr the only played oldies and is on sun up to sun down and its on am
Are you talking about 1680 am?

Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 AM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Since I have moved here to okc. I have found its a great big connection between oklahoma and california. Its alot of african americans that migrated to the bakersfield, fresno area. There are alot now moving back which are the grandkids of those who left in the 50's.
There is also a connection between Oklahoma and California in general. Both Blacks and Whites left for California from Oklahoma. The Dust Bowl was one big part of it. For African-Americans, it was escaping from Jim Crow laws playing a major factor.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
What is interesting is that Allensworth CA not too far from those cities started out as an all Black agricultural town: Allensworth, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A couple of similar communities: Timbuctoo, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Secret Town Fed By The Underground Railroad : NPR

North Elba Journal - Recalling Timbuctoo, A Slice of Black History - NYTimes.com
Adirondack Museum | Adirondack Journal — Timbucto: African American History in the Adirondacks

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-11-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 02:21 AM

3,655 posts, read 4,597,333 times
Quote:
I think it's 1560. At least that is the AM oldies station in Kalamazoo, for FM it's 95.5. But the radio stations in West MI suck ass in general. I think part of the reason is the region is right in between Detroit and Chicago which has stations with a wide range that could interfere with alot of West MI stations if they get too big. That's the only excuse I can think of for their horrible selection.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Gosh no lol. That station been gone its like 1530am wygr a community radio station. Also there is no excuse for not having a high powered r&b/hip hop radio station especially if lansing has one and they keep popping up with country and classic rock stations.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I think it's 1560. At least that is the AM oldies station in Kalamazoo, for FM it's 95.5. But the radio stations in West MI suck ass in general. I think part of the reason is the region is right in between Detroit and Chicago which has stations with a wide range that could interfere with alot of West MI stations if they get too big. That's the only excuse I can think of for their horrible selection.
Yeah, I think if you want an R&B/Hip-Hop station in say Berrien County, you get it from either Chicago or South Bend IN. I think they can get those Kalamazoo station as well.

Personally, I thought that Power 96.5 in Lansing was a good R&B/Hip-Hop station and they had an oldies station on AM(WXLA), but now it has a nostalgia format. It used to play old school R&B.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:21 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,597,333 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think if you want an R&B/Hip-Hop station in say Berrien County, you get it from either Chicago or South Bend IN. I think they can get those Kalamazoo station as well.

Personally, I thought that Power 96.5 in Lansing was a good R&B/Hip-Hop station and they had an oldies station on AM(WXLA), but now it has a nostalgia format. It used to play old school R&B.
Naw you can't WGCI in Kalamazoo. The furthest east I heard it was Paw Paw and that was at night. If you go around East Battle Creek often times you can make out what Detroit stations are playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or