U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times

Advertisements

Appalachia- TN KY WV -
I'm going to predict an uproar when the folks from Memphis hear they are being considered Appalachian, and living in a 'country' ghetto.

It is very true that many blacks in Memphis have family up north, Chicago seems to be the place I've heard mentioned most often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 02:13 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times
2 points.

1. Coming from Massachusetts and having been to alot of other places I have a bias when people say I neglect there foreign born blacks etc. 33% of ma black are foreign born compared to 9% nation wide. So ethnic and foreign born black populations seem very negligible to me outside the northeast. I do fully understand theyre not but that's why I left them out. I apologize and Im glad yall keep informing me.

2. This is a homer post but I want to provide a perfect modern day black new England accent...the one i hear from my peers.

This kid is African American and black Dominican mixed from Boston southern suburbs..

https://youtu.be/iYMmYDdJm6w

https://youtu.be/iYMmYDdJm6w

Notice the flat vowels and missing rs. No its not a speech impediment Lol, its real life!

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-25-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 02:16 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I see that you mentioned Nigerians and others with other regions and not with number 6. Texas has the largest Nigerian population in the country with thousands being in Dallas and Houston (especially). There is also a large Black Central American population such as Black Hondurans in Houston and New Orleans to a lesser extent. I think the black population of that state is severely underrated. There is a chance by 2020 that Texas will have the largest black population in the nation which will come to a surprise to many because I've met people that think Texas doesn't have a large black population.

Also this.

Perhaps true for fashion, definitely not for music. You do know Mississippi is the home of blues and many cultural rhythms of Black Americans? BB King hails straight from Mississippi. You mentioned Delta initially but then said not much music to heard of from there. Huge area for gospel as well.
Mississippi is definitely one of the homes of blues music. It can't be said that it is the home. The genre has roots in Texas and Louisiana as well.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYMmYDdJm6w

This is the accent video I wad trying to show earlier. Dominican and African American, a typical mix for someone from Mass south of Boston in 2015.

When I hear this...I know what's up, we cool. We bondin>>

Old 05-25-2015, 02:33 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Mississippi is definitely one of the homes of blues music. It can't be said that it is the home. The genre has roots in Texas and Louisiana as well.
Ok. I just looked it up and didn't realize Texas had a bigger role in blues then most people realize. I know boogie-woogie started in Texas though.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Not everybody in Cali is laid back & wants to be some Hollywood actor lol,The Westcoast stereotypes are funny lmao.

Oakland is not laid back at all,Compton, South Central or East los angeles are all tough to the bone & mostly live areas all hours of the day.

But your right about the accent & basketball culture,California basically has the most normal sounding accent to be honest,New yorkers say Nu Yawk or use their words with a V or W lol, In California everything is more proper English & more about our Health & Lifestyle.

And the Blacks in California have the biggest inner city influence on America far as street gangs, Gangsta rap music ,Tattoos, Car culture etc etc ,Than on the flipside it still has the richest Black communities in America . 10 of the Richest Black Communities in America - Page 5 of 5 - Atlanta Blackstar

California has minimal influences on the east coast on my opinion. Never do i ever think about California. I think it because I think about ATL then NY then DC then Chicago...and like ik California is..I just think Mexican and Asian. Ik black people are def out there but I assume there small percentage wise and you'd be swimming in Mexicans. I just think of it as almost its own country. And from the movies I've seen and until recently the music..I've never been into the whole lifestyle...me and my people talk NY and DC realistically.... Calis to far removed from the snow and fast paced lifestyle for me to relate to...

Old 05-25-2015, 03:40 PM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'd have to say that it is the epicenter of Blues music though, if nothing else.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:22 PM

6,843 posts, read 6,181,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Part of 6. The culture is more toward AR and TX than KS.
While I don't disagree with this assessment Oklahoma varies from Texas and Arkansas by something that you mentioned before. With the exception of the Red River valley McCurtain county over to Hugo, almost every black person who lives in Oklahoma comes from a lineage that moved to Oklahoma after the civil war. I was just talking to an elderly black woman who moved to Oklahoma from Mississippi in 1964 because her family wanted to get away from the troubles in Mississippi.

She said that while Oklahoma was segregated and racist to some degree, there wasn't the tension that there was in Mississippi at that time.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:26 PM

20,083 posts, read 11,142,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
While I don't disagree with this assessment Oklahoma varies from Texas and Arkansas by something that you mentioned before. With the exception of the Red River valley McCurtain county over to Hugo, almost every black person who lives in Oklahoma comes from a lineage that moved to Oklahoma after the civil war. I was just talking to an elderly black woman who moved to Oklahoma from Mississippi in 1964 because her family wanted to get away from the troubles in Mississippi.

She said that while Oklahoma was segregated and racist to some degree, there wasn't the tension that there was in Mississippi at that time.
Yes, that's very true. But the people came from the South East, which is why the culture is more South East. Kansans came from the Midwest.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,598,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Michigan has a huge redneck population once you get outside of the boundaries of the City of Detroit. A lot of them live in the Metro area and every 3-4 years the skinheads like to pop out of their hole and remind people that they haven't gone anywhere. (Apparently, the skinheads don't have a presence in the UP and the locals (i.e. yoopers) get fed up with people assuming they are just like the people in the lower peninsula when they come down to our area.)

So, I couldn't help but giggle when I read that Michigan doesn't have a redneck population because that's really far from the truth.
Is that Livingston county your talking about? I had to spend 3 days in Brighton for a business meeting but it didn't seem too bad. I heard the history of Livingston county is pretty racist though. Something about a "KKK" chapter being there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or