U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 06:09 AM

29,932 posts, read 27,365,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
Montgomery, AL is the birthplace of The Civil Rights Movement.
There's a little debate about that, but I think most would probably recognize Montgomery here since it's where the bus boycott occurred and that was the launching pad for everything else that followed.

Here's a good read on the subject: Who's right? Cities lay claim to civil rights "cradle" mantle. | PolitiFact Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 03:43 PM

135 posts, read 64,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's a little debate about that, but I think most would probably recognize Montgomery here since it's where the bus boycott occurred and that was the launching pad for everything else that followed.

Here's a good read on the subject: Who's right? Cities lay claim to civil rights "cradle" mantle. | PolitiFact Georgia
https://urbanful.org/2015/01/19/10-c...ghts-movement/

Old 06-30-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
Good read...thanks for sharing.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,301,825 times
The difference between slang and attitude in New York City and Boston, very accurately displayed.

https://www.facebook.com/10000931948...1783374142297/

Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 PM

17 posts, read 6,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Definitely something I picked up on when I lived in Chicago. I noted most white people wouldn't even take an empty seat on a packed rush hour train if a black guy was next to it, for example.

As far as hostility from black folks there, I never felt it. If I had to generalize (already doing it so might as well kim) I'd say the black folks were the nicest of the four big racial groups.
Yes....THIS IS 100% ACCURATE....I felt this when I lived in Chicago but I really became fully aware of it when I lived and worked in Chicago suburbs.....Midwestern whites are unlike any other whites I have met. I've lived in different regions and dealt with all kinds of whites and Europeans from all over the world so I've noticed personality traits over the years...Midwestern Whites are the most racist and ridiculously fearful of blacks....which is problematic......problematic because black people sense this fear in them and distance themselves. It's quite strange and bizarre. I never felt hostility from blacks in the midwest but I felt that they kept to themselves since the masses were fearful of them....and the racism here is kind of like this..."I'm going to pretend to be nice to you because deep down I'm scared of you and I don't know what you might do"...You constantly feel like ppl don't trust you. You constantly feel like you're being tracked from the corner of ppls eyes....that is the impression I got living in the midwest....Even through the niceness and fake smiles, you could smell the fear and subtle tension in the air....I never felt or sensed anything like this in any other region except for the midwest....Initially, I found it to be hilarious but after a while it became painful to experience and observe on a consistent basis. Midwestern whites cover up their prejudice thoughts about blacks with fake smiles and exaggerated friendliness but any smart person can see them for what they truly are.....extremely prejudiced....It's a completely different vibe.....a sick twisted vibe.....I also saw blacks getting fired for the simplest of issues at work....small insignificant issues that others got away with....this happened quite often. I also noticed that the latino and black communities in the midwest had zero unity. Which was very surprising to me because latinos and blacks in the north east have an alliance....this alliance was nonexistent in the midwest. The same fear/prejudice whites had for blacks in the midwest is the same vibe the latinos gave off......

I know this is an old thread but I saw the 2 comments that were made and I had to chime in....what you 2 are saying is 100% factual.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:44 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
why not just normal locks. i dont see why they should be feared.
Man, you are obsessing over something that is all in your mind. In Rastafarian context, the word 'dread' connotes 'fear of the Lord' or 'God-fearing'. It's dialectal.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:21 AM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
West Virginia (the southern half) actually has some of the most integrated black people who are more assimilated into the local culture vs looking toward the gangster and hip hop culture of the big cities.

I know many black people here in Louisiana who listen to country music and many have white friends unlike in the Northeast which is most segregated. Also there is less black militantism/support for stuff like BLM, Colin Kaepernick, etc. The Northeast is the most segregated and fractured as everyone - black, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Jewish, Irish, Italian, etc - all focus on their racial and ethnic identity vs a larger American or regional identity.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
West Virginia (the southern half) actually has some of the most integrated black people who are more assimilated into the local culture vs looking toward the gangster and hip hop culture of the big cities.

I know many black people here in Louisiana who listen to country music and many have white friends unlike in the Northeast which is most segregated. Also there is less black militantism/support for stuff like BLM, Colin Kaepernick, etc. The Northeast is the most segregated and fractured as everyone - black, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Jewish, Irish, Italian, etc - all focus on their racial and ethnic identity vs a larger American or regional identity.
Nobody whose been to West Virginia can take you seriously and the extremes with which you're posting here, yet trying to pass off as fact, is questionable. You've made some racially questionable posts before and this post is again dripping with it...

Why are you so taken with black people and our interests and relations to others?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Nobody whose been to West Virginia can take you seriously and the extremes with which you're posting here, yet trying to pass off as fact, is questionable. You've made some racially questionable posts before and this post is again dripping with it...

Why are you so taken with black people and our interests and relations to others?
It's absolutely irritating. Now I feel like I need to read about three or four posts at VSB to get me back on track.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:39 AM

905 posts, read 912,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

And West Virginia and Louisiana are some of the worst states for black Americans economically and socially. Huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or