U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Reputation: 4497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's absolutely irritating. Now I feel like I need to read about three or four posts at VSB to get me back on track.
Lol just another day around here...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 AM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
For 3, Im not sure if it was mentioned in the thread, but it is more into HBCUs than people may think and even includes a couple of them. This is including the first HBCU.

Also, has more highly to predominantly Black middle class suburban and even city neighborhoods than some may realize.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2018, 12:23 PM
 
2,005 posts, read 1,018,456 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghana_Mafia View Post
Yes....THIS IS 100% ACCURATE....I felt this when I lived in Chicago but I really became fully aware of it when I lived and worked in Chicago suburbs.....Midwestern whites are unlike any other whites I have met. I've lived in different regions and dealt with all kinds of whites and Europeans from all over the world so I've noticed personality traits over the years...Midwestern Whites are the most racist and ridiculously fearful of blacks....which is problematic......problematic because black people sense this fear in them and distance themselves. It's quite strange and bizarre. I never felt hostility from blacks in the midwest but I felt that they kept to themselves since the masses were fearful of them....and the racism here is kind of like this..."I'm going to pretend to be nice to you because deep down I'm scared of you and I don't know what you might do"...You constantly feel like ppl don't trust you. You constantly feel like you're being tracked from the corner of ppls eyes....that is the impression I got living in the midwest....Even through the niceness and fake smiles, you could smell the fear and subtle tension in the air....I never felt or sensed anything like this in any other region except for the midwest....Initially, I found it to be hilarious but after a while it became painful to experience and observe on a consistent basis. Midwestern whites cover up their prejudice thoughts about blacks with fake smiles and exaggerated friendliness but any smart person can see them for what they truly are.....extremely prejudiced....It's a completely different vibe.....a sick twisted vibe.....I also saw blacks getting fired for the simplest of issues at work....small insignificant issues that others got away with....this happened quite often. I also noticed that the latino and black communities in the midwest had zero unity. Which was very surprising to me because latinos and blacks in the north east have an alliance....this alliance was nonexistent in the midwest. The same fear/prejudice whites had for blacks in the midwest is the same vibe the latinos gave off......

I know this is an old thread but I saw the 2 comments that were made and I had to chime in....what you 2 are saying is 100% factual.
Just wondering, if this was written about a race other than White, would this be considered racist, and be deleted?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2018, 12:19 PM
 
1,217 posts, read 590,234 times
Reputation: 948
Just stumbled upon this thread.


Just an FYI, Texas has the fourth biggest black population of any state but NY. AAs make up about 15% of the State because its the most diverse state in the SunBelt due to a large latino (read Mexican) population but many middle easterners due to the energy sector are here and many from Indian and China relocated due to tech jobs. As far as black folks not doing well outside of Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth well hell those TWO metro areas combined have bigger populations than ANY states in the South but Florida and if they were a state (over 13 million residents) would rank FOURTH largest in the U.S. Georgia and North Carolina have about 11 million residents each.


So tell me what makes you think black folk in rural areas of Georgia, the Carolinas or Florida do any better than those in Texas?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2018, 12:21 PM
 
1,217 posts, read 590,234 times
Reputation: 948
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 PM
 
29,930 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Reputation: 18458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Just wondering, if this was written about a race other than White, would this be considered racist, and be deleted?
I'm guessing you've never visited the Politics forum.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2018, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread.


Just an FYI, Texas has the fourth biggest black population of any state but NY. AAs make up about 15% of the State because its the most diverse state in the SunBelt due to a large latino (read Mexican) population but many middle easterners due to the energy sector are here and many from Indian and China relocated due to tech jobs. As far as black folks not doing well outside of Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth well hell those TWO metro areas combined have bigger populations than ANY states in the South but Florida and if they were a state (over 13 million residents) would rank FOURTH largest in the U.S. Georgia and North Carolina have about 11 million residents each.


So tell me what makes you think black folk in rural areas of Georgia, the Carolinas or Florida do any better than those in Texas?
Texas actually has the largest black population in the United States.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas actually has the largest black population in the United States.
Depends on who you include, as if you count those in combination, NY has a little bit more(as of now). BlackDemographics.com | Black Population by State

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NY (take Black alone and a portion of the 2 or more races population to get the percentage above)

Even then, NY State has a higher percentage than TX and people may not realize that NY is the Blackest state outside of the South. It’s percentage is essentially on par with states such as FL, TN and AR, while not not being too much lower than that of VA and NC. This means that it is around 10th/11th in Black percentage in terms of state rankings.

What is interesting is that NYC isn’t even the state’s city with the highest percentage. Cities such as Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse and Poughkeepsie have higher percentages. This doesn’t even get into a city like Mount Vernon, which may be the Blackest truly urban municipality in the country today or other NYC suburbs like Hempstead, Uniondale, Baldwin, Elmont, North Valley Stream, Wheatley Heights, Roosevelt, North Amityville, Westbury, Wyandanch, Hillcrest, Spring Valley, etc. that are predominantly or pluralistically more Black.

Then you have other cities like Middletown, Newburgh, Schenectady, Niagara Falls, New Rochelle, Beacon, Hudson, etc. that are around 20-25% Black, give or take. Some others are around the national percentage to 20% like Troy, Utica, Binghamton, Elmira, Kingston, Yonkers, White Plains, Nyack/South Nyack, Peekskill, etc.

So, I say all of this to say that it is more than just NYC(proper), as if you take it out, the state’s percentage would still around the national percentage.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Reputation: 9577
I think it will be made official when they update it though for 2018. Because on Black demographics, that list was updated as of 2016 and considering that Texas black population is growing much faster, it’s just a matter of time on there that Texas (and Florida) passes New York. Also, yeah, I think the black population makes up 12% of the Texas population. That’s mostly because of its very large Hispanic population which brings that percentage down.

I do agree with you that most people don’t think New York outside of NYC does not have a large black population. I knew that it did. But most don’t.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 07:51 AM
 
56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think it will be made official when they update it though for 2018. Because on Black demographics, that list was updated as of 2016 and considering that Texas black population is growing much faster, it’s just a matter of time on there that Texas (and Florida) passes New York. Also, yeah, I think the black population makes up 12% of the Texas population. That’s mostly because of its very large Hispanic population which brings that percentage down.

I do agree with you that most people don’t think New York outside of NYC does not have a large black population. I knew that it did. But most don’t.
Good points...

I will also say about NY is that it also has a pretty high Hispanic percentage(about 19%) and what is different is that many come from countries/have roots in countries that are of the diaspora. Meaning, many are black(alone or in combination) and in turn, the Black including in combination percentage may actually be even higher than what it is. I say that because some may strictly identify as “Hispanic/Latino” and/or “Other”. So, those could be some aspects to consider in terms of NY as well.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top