U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 01:57 PM

1,038 posts, read 630,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Got it...If they do migrate, they tend to come from the Delta from places like Clarksdale, Grenada or Belzoni, among a few others. Those are some of the places I'm familiar with in that regard.

Another place in Iowa many went to was Waterloo, which is about 17% and currently has a black mayor. Detroit and Flint were also popular migration spots.
Actually it depends on the metro. I think this needs more investigation into sub regions of southern states black migrated out. Example being the St Louis/East St Louis area blacks mostly came from my region ( Northeast Sipp). Then the delta, and other regions. I think those in SoCal have ties back to the Gulf Coast Sipp.

Detroit is definitely Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,033,660 times
The majority of Middle and South GA identifies much more with your Deep South category than Coastal South. That "Gullah" Culture isn't that prevalent outside of at most 4 or 5 counties, if that.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 AM

349 posts, read 107,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The wealth gap between whites an blacks and new england is what makes the culture and attitude so ghetto, it's very very isolated from the "mainstream". But they certainly don't act or dress like Carlton aside from polo rugby shirts and polo boots. The youthful and segregated communities of New England keep it far from Carltonesqur. Hartford has some very bad pockets of poverty but their black community is maybe more solid than Springfield and Brockton which have similar blight. I'd say the thing in New England is that 98% of minority heavy areas are very low income- that's not the case almost anywhere else in the country. Hartford Sringfield Boston and Providence have some of the absolute lowest chances of childhood opportunity for black and Hispanic children in the country. Furthermore 38% of latino children and 31% of black children in MA are poor which is made worse because it's so wildly expensive to live there. Income and homeowner ship wise blacks in NE are poorer than ones in NJ DE and MD. In addition to this while blacks nation wide have a net worth of about 2500 dollars, in the Boston area it's $8.

MA and RI have tho lowest rates of black homeownership at 28% and 26% respectively in the entire country.

I fail to see where blacks in New England have anything in common with Carlton much less act like him. Usually 6-8 madsachusetts cities re in the top 100 most dangerous accompanied by about 3/4 CT cities. So in any given yet 9-12% of the nation's most dangerous cities are in MA and CT, WHICH ACCOUNTS FOR ABOUT 3% OF THE US POPULATION.

Many other Northern ghettos look worse because New England is extremely looks conscientious, and very about image and proper development. I think the blacks in poor areas of New England are better educated than poor blacks anywhere else.
Intresting, you don't hear about black on black crime in New England outside of the CT cities on a nationwide scale. I think if New England had a hip hop scene and more black media Black people would look at New England more differently besides this white upper-class utopia.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:31 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,301,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Intresting, you don't hear about black on black crime in New England outside of the CT cities on a nationwide scale. I think if New England had a hip hop scene and more black media Black people would look at New England more differently besides this white upper-class utopia.
Boston and Prov have a hip hop scene that is popular mong t it's demographic for sure. Connecticut has no hip hop seen and folks there are just much more quiet in general. Most black people in Connecticut have very little CT pride and try to claim NYC. Or they live in north/central CT and bemoan it Because hlf the blck people in NE are West Indian or African, the culture Ian little more like NYC so there. Connection to like NY/NJ but. After that there's just not that much in common lifestyle wise between blacks in NE and the rest of the country. Because other black people don't care to know or come up here it's kinda gonna stay that way.

Also because the black populations is so young, working class and urban here it doesn't connect well to the black middle class/church/country/suburban aspects of black life, like at all..

Very rare for black people in NE to go to churxh regularly because church is not a thing in New England.

There acagually a lot of famous black people from MA CT and RI in general though.. People just aren't aware for whatever reason.

RI has about 70k black folk MA had about 490k and CT has about 350k.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,319,369 times
^ yeah, i check for more west-indian stuff rather than generic black americana stuff.
i'm catholic but i dont live in church on sunday. in college (out-of-state) a lot of black persons had church on sunday and bible study on wednesday.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:26 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,319,369 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston and Prov have a hip hop scene that is popular mong t it's demographic for sure. Connecticut has no hip hop seen and folks there are just much more quiet in general. Most black people in Connecticut have very little CT pride and try to claim NYC. Or they live in north/central CT and bemoan it Because hlf the blck people in NE are West Indian or African, the culture Ian little more like NYC so there. Connection to like NY/NJ but. After that there's just not that much in common lifestyle wise between blacks in NE and the rest of the country. Because other black people don't care to know or come up here it's kinda gonna stay that way.

Also because the black populations is so young, working class and urban here it doesn't connect well to the black middle class/church/country/suburban aspects of black life, like at all..

Very rare for black people in NE to go to churxh regularly because church is not a thing in New England.

There acagually a lot of famous black people from MA CT and RI in general though.. People just aren't aware for whatever reason.

RI has about 70k black folk MA had about 490k and CT has about 350k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ yeah, i check for more west-indian stuff rather than generic black americana stuff.
i'm catholic but i dont live in church on sunday. in college (out-of-state) a lot of black persons had church on sunday and bible study on wednesday.
and regarding hip-hop, the radio mentioned miixtapechiick who is a boston girl. upthread its mentioned that the source was founded in boston, the newbury freestyle, ...
also things like the baystate banner and basic black on p.b.s. would follow things like black-on-black crime trends.

i do notice a lot of persons think that boston is 100% irish but thats not true.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-12-2019 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
and regarding hip-hop, the radio mentioned miixtapechiick who is a boston girl. upthread its mentioned that the source was founded in boston, the newbury freestyle, ...
also things like the baystate banner and basic black on p.b.s. would follow things like black-on-black crime trends.

i do notice a lot of persons think that boston is 100% irish but thats not true.
I always knew that Boston had a decent sized Asain and a Black population but most of the time when I hear someone from Boston it's typically a White person. I know rapper Benzino who used to write for the source is from Boston but he's only known because of his beef with Enimen. Outside of him I don't know any Boston rappers who had mainstream nation-wide exposure on a level like a NYC, LA, ATL or even Chicago has. The Blacks in Boston does sound similar to NYC Blacks, but NYC blacks are more connected to their African-American roots even if the city is increasingly less African American.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:55 AM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
I always knew that Boston had a decent sized Asain and a Black population but most of the time when I hear someone from Boston it's typically a White person. I know rapper Benzino who used to write for the source is from Boston but he's only known because of his beef with Enimen. Outside of him I don't know any Boston rappers who had mainstream nation-wide exposure on a level like a NYC, LA, ATL or even Chicago has. The Blacks in Boston does sound similar to NYC Blacks, but NYC blacks are more connected to their African-American roots even if the city is increasingly less African American.
This group did in the early 1990's: https://www.discogs.com/artist/239269-Ed-OG-Da-Bulldogs

A few songs that were mainstream at the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdzedMx1rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQMVsQW_kjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_wymk8ORQ

Can't forget Guru from Gang Starr, whose father was a judge in the city. Then, you have New Edition in terms of R & B and Donna Summer was from there as well. This was the group that Benzino was in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Almighty_RSO

Boston does have a relatively strong black history that goes back centuries(Beacon Hill, 54th Regiment, Crispus Attucks, etc). It is just overshadowed by other images of the city.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-13-2019 at 01:12 AM..

Old 04-13-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This group did in the early 1990's: https://www.discogs.com/artist/239269-Ed-OG-Da-Bulldogs

A few songs that were mainstream at the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdzedMx1rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQMVsQW_kjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_wymk8ORQ

Can't forget Guru from Gang Starr, whose father was a judge in the city. Then, you have New Edition in terms of R & B and Donna Summer was from there as well. This was the group that Benzino was in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Almighty_RSO

Boston does have a relatively strong black history that goes back centuries(Beacon Hill, 54th Regiment, Crispus Attucks, etc). It is just overshadowed by other images of the city.
Intresting, Boston Black culture does get overshadowed quite a bit. I know New Edition was from Boston but I didn't know Donna Summers was from there. I guess you can Boston is the black mecca of New England.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:15 AM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Intresting, Boston Black culture does get overshadowed quite a bit. I know New Edition was from Boston but I didn't know Donna Summers was from there. I guess you can Boston is the black mecca of New England.
I would say so as well due to having the biggest population in the region(170-190,000 people in the city, depending on who you include).

Hartford, New Haven and Bridgeport in CT have higher percentages though(in the 30's for each).

There are some suburbs and satellite cities in these areas with higher or similar percentages as well like Randolph and Brockton in MA; Bloomfield, Windsor, East Hartford and West Haven in CT.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-13-2019 at 02:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or