U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 07:58 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I disargee with some of your post. Mainstream sub culture generally spread whatever's popular with each generation and despite that every region to local sub region maintain their unique style. Rap music will always have regional flavor and in regards to talk & do the same... it been like that.
What’s the regional flavor besides accent? What’s unique about southern rap than west coast or Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 PM

3,506 posts, read 7,310,925 times
Quote:
The immigration of diverse ethnic groups to the deeper southern states increased during the 90s. Actually, diversity been in these states just not to a large degree. In MS , Chinese, Vietnamese, Tejanos, Mexicans, & other Europeans been here for nearly 100 years. Similar to the other southern states just various scale of migrations.
This is true.

Coastal Mississippi towns have had an visible Asian community for some decades now. In fact, 90s movie, Mississippi Masala, about the romance of an East Indian woman and African-American man, was based in Biloxi, MS.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 PM

109 posts, read 84,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
This is true.

Coastal Mississippi towns have had an visible Asian community for some decades now. In fact, 90s movie, Mississippi Masala, about the romance of an East Indian woman and African-American man, was based in Biloxi, MS.
Even in my wife's MS Delta small hometown corner stores have been owned by Chinese-Americans for 50+ years.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What’s the regional flavor besides accent? What’s unique about southern rap than west coast or Midwest?
What's your definition of regional flavor by the way?

Southern Rap consist of a variety of sub genres & the themes of southern hood/general lifestyle. West Coast nor Midwest have originated/coined Screwed music, Horrorcore , Trap , etc.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 AM

4,532 posts, read 2,315,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Thats true. Immigration wasn't really a thing in the south until the 90s outside of Flordia, Texas, and Lousiana. Ethnic tensions were a thing in the North 100 years ago due to a mass pool of European immigrants but now they all blend in as White. NC and VA were always seen as the progressive south so those states were more ready to adapt to Hispanics and Asians coming in versus the deeper southern states.
in the north i dont think i ever met a white person. mostly they say they are irish, italian, portuguese, ...

Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
Even in my wife's MS Delta small hometown corner stores have been owned by Chinese-Americans for 50+ years.
Yes, my grandmother worked at a Chinese store in their town in MS. There was also a Jewish owned store in their town and a synagogue in a nearby town. So, I guess it is a matter of degree and it is similar to how many think that black people in the North is strictly a matter of northern migration, when there are people that have roots in NY that go back to the 1600-1800's.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Quote:
What's your definition of regional flavor by the way?

Southern Rap consist of a variety of sub genres & the themes of southern hood/general lifestyle. West Coast nor Midwest have originated/coined Screwed music, Horrorcore , Trap , etc.

Well...that is what I am saying. People in other regions have picked up on that and now they are doing the same thing. Hip Hop, right now, has the spotlight on the south. Thus, youth in other parts of the country are imitating the southern themes because they think that is what sells and people are basically just copy cats.

When I first saw Chicago drill music on youtube.....I thought the particular group was from the south. Chicago Drill Music is basically southern trap music. Detroit rap often get labeled as sounding like Cali rap. What does Cali rap sound like other than accents? People in Detroit and Cali kind of sound a like....where as people in Chicago sound southern.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:04 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times
Quote:
Well...that is what I am saying. People in other regions have picked up on that and now they are doing the same thing. Hip Hop, right now, has the spotlight on the south. Thus, youth in other parts of the country are imitating the southern themes because they think that is what sells and people are basically just copy cats.

When I first saw Chicago drill music on youtube.....I thought the particular group was from the south. Chicago Drill Music is basically southern trap music. Detroit rap often get labeled as sounding like Cali rap. What does Cali rap sound like other than accents? People in Detroit and Cali kind of sound a like....where as people in Chicago sound southern.
There is non southern sounding rap in the northeast and west coast its just doesnt sell or get listen to outside of their respective regions. Saweetie and A Boogie wit da hoodie are good examples of people very popular in their region with much more limited nationwide success.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM

3,506 posts, read 7,310,925 times
Chicago's Drill music is essentially a more hardcore flavor of West Coast Gangster Rap and Trap music blended.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 627,203 times
Quote:

That's why i said mainstream will always do that regardless. When hip hop became mainstream in the 80s, every up and coming rapper was trying to imitate the sounds/flow of NY or when it shifted to West Coast then every up and coming was adding abit of that style. It goes in cycles but that's mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or