U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 03:54 PM

472 posts, read 83,751 times

Advertisements

It is my belief that the West is far more segregated by race than any other part of the country with the Midwest following close behind. A lot of what we are led to believe about race in the West comes from carefully constructed news, commercials, and television shows trying to depict some sort of "look, we all do get along" ideal. In reality, you can visit any coastal or inland town, small and big city throughout Northern to Southern CA and discover mostly separate hangouts and lifestyles for blacks from everyone else and just a few dots and spots of black folk around all the popular "white" attractions, as well as black folks living wherever because the rent is so damn high. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Arizona are very much NOT places where blacks and whites are particularly friendly with each other - just tolerating for the most part. Same goes most for the Midwest. The South just happens to have more blacks which makes for more diverse neighborhoods, but there's still plenty of racial segregation (much of it by personal preference) all over the U.S. And oh, a lot less tolerance between blacks and whites in the South.

Can't say that I know much about the Northeast because I've never really lived there, but it seems to me that some of the most racially conscious folks (to put in nicely) I've ever met - from all races and persuasions - came from NE places like New Jersey, Boston, and NY, or Midwest places like Chicago, Cincinnati, Minnesota, and KS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 628,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
It is my belief that the West is far more segregated by race than any other part of the country with the Midwest following close behind. A lot of what we are led to believe about race in the West comes from carefully constructed news, commercials, and television shows trying to depict some sort of "look, we all do get along" ideal. In reality, you can visit any coastal or inland town, small and big city throughout Northern to Southern CA and discover mostly separate hangouts and lifestyles for blacks from everyone else and just a few dots and spots of black folk around all the popular "white" attractions, as well as black folks living wherever because the rent is so damn high. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Arizona are very much NOT places where blacks and whites are particularly friendly with each other - just tolerating for the most part. Same goes most for the Midwest. The South just happens to have more blacks which makes for more diverse neighborhoods, but there's still plenty of racial segregation (much of it by personal preference) all over the U.S. And oh, a lot less tolerance between blacks and whites in the South.

Can't say that I know much about the Northeast because I've never really lived there, but it seems to me that some of the most racially conscious folks (to put in nicely) I've ever met - from all races and persuasions - came from NE places like New Jersey, Boston, and NY, or Midwest places like Chicago, Cincinnati, Minnesota, and KS.
The West have the smallest portion of the Black community and they're generally in metropolitan areas. Historic redling nationwide basically.

What part of the South you've been through?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Lol at the Northeast having the most racially conscious folks. He did say he hasn't been to or lived there, I'll give him that. The exact description he gave to the West more aptly fits the Northeast...

The West isn't great, and California has its issues, but you see more multiethnic venues and gatherings in California than you do in most of the Northeast, for sure. Part of the complaint about Black Californians being out of touch is that they are largely integrated with other races and (seemingly) lack the self-awareness that blacks in more populated regions have....

But for sure the best race relations appear to be in the South...

Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 AM

56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol at the Northeast having the most racially conscious folks. He did say he hasn't been to or lived there, I'll give him that. The exact description he gave to the West more aptly fits the Northeast...

The West isn't great, and California has its issues, but you see more multiethnic venues and gatherings in California than you do in most of the Northeast, for sure. Part of the complaint about Black Californians being out of touch is that they are largely integrated with other races and (seemingly) lack the self-awareness that blacks in more populated regions have....

But for sure the best race relations appear to be in the South...
I wondering if the racially conscious aspect in the Northeast he/she is referring to comes from organizations that have been formed in the region and that many of the people, in general, are 1st to 3rd generation Americans/Northeastern residents. With the latter, there in turn is more of an attachment to those roots that aren’t as common historically in other regions. This also can play a part in the more enclave based neighborhoods you see in the region, but are breaking down a bit in recent years.

I will say that the black population being strictly urban or in select parts of cities in the Northeast isn’t necessarily true, as there are folks scattered across many exurbs/small towns/rural areas than some may realize.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wondering if the racially conscious aspect in the Northeast he/she is referring to comes from organizations that have been formed in the region and that many of the people, in general, are 1st to 3rd generation Americans/Northeastern residents. With the latter, there in turn is more of an attachment to those roots that arenít as common historically in other regions. This also can play a part in the more enclave based neighborhoods you see in the region, but are breaking down a bit in recent years.

I will say that the black population being strictly urban or in select parts of cities in the Northeast isnít necessarily true, as there are folks scattered across many exurbs/small towns/rural areas than some may realize.
The Northeast has systemic segregation that is unusual for such an area with high diversity. These ethnic enclaves and segregated communities lend to the wishy-washy race relations up there, because there is a clear your side, my side thing going on up there...

Obviously this doesn't apply to everywhere, as the NE is large and there are plenty of multicultural areas. But the segregation is more widespread and more noticeable...

You're right on there being some rural blacks up north but I don't know that there's a rural county anywhere up north that has a black population above the national average, outside of Delaware and Maryland (which obviously, while considered northern today, part of what remains as a hallmark of their southern roots is that there are large rural black populations). And by rural, I'm specifically thinking of a)counties not directly adjacent to an MSA core county (so maybe an outlying exurb), and b)counties that aren't in an MSA at all....

I don't think this exists anywhere in the traditional Northeast...

Regardless, and I know my experiences are as anecdotal as anyone else, I've found that the NE has the most racial tension in the present day, and the South has the least. It shouldn't have to be said, but I know there are some really dense posters so I will----->this certainly isn't an absolute application, there is plenty of tension in the South, and there are some really lovely relations up North. But overall, the South seems a bit more racially inclusive in the modern day....

Old 06-24-2019, 10:36 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,297,521 times
People in the northeast are very racially aware because we’re all aware of noir racial differences and neighborhoods and politicians etc. I don’t think that equates to accepting, understanding or integrated.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
The Northeast has systemic segregation that is unusual for such an area with high diversity. These ethnic enclaves and segregated communities lend to the wishy-washy race relations up there, because there is a clear your side, my side thing going on up there...

Obviously this doesn't apply to everywhere, as the NE is large and there are plenty of multicultural areas. But the segregation is more widespread and more noticeable...
Yep. I'm reminded of the quote from the movie Bessie, ďWhite folks in the south donít care how close you get as long as you donít get too big. And white folks in the north donít care how big you get as long as you donít get too close.Ē

Old 06-24-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People in the northeast are very racially aware because weíre all aware of noir racial differences and neighborhoods and politicians etc. I donít think that equates to accepting, understanding or integrated.
The clear tome in that person's post highlighted racial divisiveness in the South and West, and spoke up that it was better in the Northeast. I'm only here pointing out what I see as a flaw in that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. I'm reminded of the quote from the movie Bessie, ďWhite folks in the south donít care how close you get as long as you donít get too big. And white folks in the north donít care how big you get as long as you donít get too close.Ē
100%!

Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM

56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:

You're right on there being some rural blacks up north but I don't know that there's a rural county anywhere up north that has a black population above the national average, outside of Delaware and Maryland (which obviously, while considered northern today, part of what remains as a hallmark of their southern roots is that there are large rural black populations). And by rural, I'm specifically thinking of a)counties not directly adjacent to an MSA core county (so maybe an outlying exurb), and b)counties that aren't in an MSA at all....

I don't think this exists anywhere in the traditional Northeast...

Regardless, and I know my experiences are as anecdotal as anyone else, I've found that the NE has the most racial tension in the present day, and the South has the least. It shouldn't have to be said, but I know there are some really dense posters so I will----->this certainly isn't an absolute application, there is plenty of tension in the South, and there are some really lovely relations up North. But overall, the South seems a bit more racially inclusive in the modern day....
I would say the counties in the Northeast that come close in terms of being exurban may be Orange and Dutchess counties in NY. Both are around the national percentage, but even then, you have small cities like Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, Beacon and Middletown that are all in the 18-35% black range. Both counties, especially Orange County, do have black residents throughout in suburban and rural/small town communities as well.

What is interesting is that when the 2 counties formed a metro area, it was one of the most integrated metros in the country and had/has some of, if not THE, smallest income gaps between whites and blacks, Hispanics and Asians.

It probably doesn’t hurt that this area also has West Point/US Military Academy, as having a visible military presence usually helps in regards to integration and lower gaps.

Also, Orange County has been one of the fastest growing counties in NY this century. So, places with recent growth usually attract a wider range of people.

It is also within a train commute to employment in NYC as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-24-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would say the counties in the Northeast that come close in terms of being exurban may be Orange and Dutchess counties in NY. Both are around the national percentage, but even then, you have small cities like Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, Beacon and Middletown that are all in the 18-35% black range. Both counties, especially Orange County, do have black residents throughout in suburban and rural/small town communities as well.

What is interesting is that when the 2 counties formed a metro area, it was one of the most integrated metros in the country and had/has some of, if not THE, smallest income gaps between whites and blacks, Hispanics and Asians.

It probably doesnít hurt that this area also has West Point/US Military Academy, as having a visible military presence usually helps in regards to integration and lower gaps.
There is a sizable black population in the Hudson Valley, but neither Dutchess nor Orange counties have a population above the national average...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or