U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 PM

56,569 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
There is a sizable black population in the Hudson Valley, but neither Dutchess nor Orange counties have a population above the national average...
It was mentioned that they are around the national percentage and this may come down to who you include: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045218

With that said, the other aspects would appeal to a lot of people.

Also, percentage isn’t necessarily the “be all, end all” in regards to having a visible rural/small town black population. Even in the South this varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 PM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It was mentioned that they are around the national percentage and this may come down to who you include: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045218

With that said, the other aspects would appeal to a lot of people.

Also, percentage isn’t necessarily the “be all, end all” in regards to having a visible rural/small town black population. Even in the South this varies.
Percentage isn't the be all, end all, but unless there is a large physical population, places with populations below the national average tend to have a muted voice and social impact. There are rare exceptions, but this is typically the case...

Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Percentage isn't the be all, end all, but unless there is a large physical population, places with populations below the national average tend to have a muted voice and social impact. There are rare exceptions, but this is typically the case...
I know what you are saying and tend to agree. However, Iowa City, Des Moines, Clinton, Burlington and Waterloo IA have or have had black mayors, but Charleston SC has never had one and Columbia SC just got their first one a few years ago. So, this even depends on the community.

In the case of Orange County NY, what makes that county even more potentially appealing is that there are communities with visible to above average black populations that also have higher median household incomes than other groups in said places. http://www.city-data.com/forum/55351629-post12.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/55353364-post13.html

I honestly don’t know many other counties that aren’t “highly” or predominantly black that can say the same thing, along with the other factors mentioned. Maybe Montgomery County MD? Fayetteville County GA?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-24-2019 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 PM

1,032 posts, read 628,202 times
Quote:
I want add on this theme , 93% of Rural Blacks are in the South

Old 06-25-2019, 05:16 AM
Status: "You picked the wrong fool, fool." (set 6 days ago)

495 posts, read 128,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Oh really, the last time I checked it was 53 percent white is still the majority. Boston must be plurality white like in the high 40s in percentage similar to Phily.
Philadelphia is about 33% white I think.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:20 AM
Status: "You picked the wrong fool, fool." (set 6 days ago)

495 posts, read 128,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Philadelphia will probably surpass Chicago in black population in just a few years with Chicago's black population declining 5 times faster than Philly's. The cities AA populations are about 50,000 apart.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,297,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
White percentages as of 2017

Boston 43.9%
DC 37.0%
Philadelphia 34.5%
New York City 31.6%
Baltimore (rougher estimate) 28%

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-25-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I want add on this theme , 93% of Rural Blacks are in the South
Not surprising, if true. According to the US Census, any place with around 2500 people is considered to be urban. So, a community of that population or a little higher wouldn’t be included.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM

1,032 posts, read 628,202 times
Quote:
Not surprising, if true. According to the US Census, any place with around 2500 people is considered to be urban. So, a community of that population or a little higher wouldn’t be included.
Actually, they are included under Rural definitions. Generally, urban areas with a core(s) 10K-50K still get this classification often. That's why when people picture rural a farm / blink town/ countryside county comes to mind. Yet , a small moderate cityscape with similar amenities to a metro city isn't the ideal picture of rural area per say. This is one of the prime reasons i bring Micropolitan areas into Black culture discussions.

Reminds me of the author of The Hate U Give whose from North Jackson. Her personal experience she shared in a interview about people finding out she's from Mississippi and being asked something along the lines " You grew up on a farm?" and she responded with " No. My neighborhood is more like Compton." I smirked and realized people don't realized how urban the Sipp Black community is.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 532,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Actually, they are included under Rural definitions. Generally, urban areas with a core(s) 10K-50K still get this classification often. That's why when people picture rural a farm / blink town/ countryside county comes to mind. Yet , a small moderate cityscape with similar amenities to a metro city isn't the ideal picture of rural area per say. This is one of the prime reasons i bring Micropolitan areas into Black culture discussions.

Reminds me of the author of The Hate U Give whose from North Jackson. Her personal experience she shared in a interview about people finding out she's from Mississippi and being asked something along the lines " You grew up on a farm?" and she responded with " No. My neighborhood is more like Compton." I smirked and realized people don't realized how urban the Sipp Black community is.
Compton is suburban though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or