U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 630,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Compton is suburban though.
Precisely and not what comes to mind when your thinking of a neighborhood in Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
Compton is suburban though.
I can tell you've never been to Compton, Mr. Brooklyn lol. One of the biggest flaws on this board is this idea that urbanity everywhere has to look like East Coast urbanity, even though there are urban places the world over that don't look or function the way East Coast big cities do...

Compton is built in suburban garden style because it originated as an inner suburb of Los Angeles. Functionally, most of Compton functions as an inner-city Los Angeles neighborhood, it's not suburban in that regard. Carson is suburban, Pasadena is suburban. Compton will always technically be an LA suburb, but it's only 10 square miles with nearly 10,000 people per square mile. That's less built up than many areas in core LA, but functionally, Compton is inner city Los Angeles and doesn't really act as a suburb outside of its layout/build...

Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 PM

1,845 posts, read 536,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I can tell you've never been to Compton, Mr. Brooklyn lol. One of the biggest flaws on this board is this idea that urbanity everywhere has to look like East Coast urbanity, even though there are urban places the world over that don't look or function the way East Coast big cities do...

Compton is built in suburban garden style because it originated as an inner suburb of Los Angeles. Functionally, most of Compton functions as an inner-city Los Angeles neighborhood, it's not suburban in that regard. Carson is suburban, Pasadena is suburban. Compton will always technically be an LA suburb, but it's only 10 square miles with nearly 10,000 people per square mile. That's less built up than many areas in core LA, but functionally, Compton is inner city Los Angeles and doesn't really act as a suburb outside of its layout/build...
10k ppsm is suburban. That's only slightly more than Levittown, NY, ground zero of American suburbia. Compton is made up mostly of detached 1 family houses with driveways.

People mistakenly use the term "urban" to mean black.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
10k ppsm is suburban. That's only slightly more than Levittown, NY, ground zero of American suburbia. Compton is made up mostly of detached 1 family houses with driveways.

All of the frequent contributors to this thread, besides yourself, are black, so I can assure you they aren't conflating "urban" and "black". Your point applies, generally speaking, though...

Again though, your barometer of suburbanism is East Coast centric, hence, your Levittown example. I've actually been to Compton, functionally speaking (which obviously goes beyond population density), Compton is an inner city Los Angeles neighborhood...

Old 06-25-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
All of the frequent contributors to this thread, besides yourself, are black, so I can assure you they aren't conflating "urban" and "black". Your point applies, generally speaking, though...

Again though, your barometer of suburbanism is East Coast centric, hence, your Levittown example. I've actually been to Compton, functionally speaking (which obviously goes beyond population density), Compton is an inner city Los Angeles neighborhood...
Black people outside of city data do that all the time! "Suburban" is code for white, and "urban" is code for black.

"Inner city" is also a code for black. I don't think people would refer to Compton as "inner city" if it were wealthier and predominately white. Like how white people from Manhattan aren't considered "inner city" even though they live in the most urban area in the whole country.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:

10K ppsm is suburban ? Perhaps in the Northeast but not throughout the rest of the regions.

People/News been attaching subliminal themes to Blacks for....decades. Nothing new *shrugs*.

Point I'm making is the urban/rural distribution of the Sipp's Black community.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
10K ppsm is suburban ? Perhaps in the Northeast but not throughout the rest of the regions.

People/News been attaching subliminal themes to Blacks for....decades. Nothing new *shrugs*.

Point I'm making is the urban/rural distribution of the Sipp's Black community.
In my opinion, yes. Compton looks like a suburban neighborhood to me too. If it were populated by white people, it would be considered the suburbs.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 AM

3,507 posts, read 7,314,024 times
I would say below 4 or 5k ppsm is ground zero quintessential suburbia. I've noticed that a lot of suburbs in my metro that fall below that threshold are built like a maze, streets that are virtually rid of the city-grid and cul-de-sacs are more common.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
In my opinion, yes. Compton looks like a suburban neighborhood to me too. If it were populated by white people, it would be considered the suburbs.
It's a Suburb regardless of ethnic composition.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I would say below 4 or 5k ppsm is ground zero quintessential suburbia. I've noticed that a lot of suburbs in my metro that fall below that threshold are built like a maze, streets that are virtually rid of the city-grid and cul-de-sacs are more common.
Majority of micropolitan cities would be considered suburban by your threshold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or