U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
That's fine, but he grouped Milwaukee with Minneapolis, when it's a Chicago sattelite. That's all. It's easy to pick and choose when you're looking for a means to the end, but I doubt any black people in Milwaukee feel like they belong with the Twin Cities vs Chicago, and I'm sure Chicago would be the first black community, by a longshot, that locals would identify with.
Hmm. I've never really thought of Milwaukee as a "Chicago sattelite." The Loop and Downtown Milwaukee are about the same distance from each other as Manhattan and Center City Philly.

I didn't pay much attention to that grouping. I didn't think it made any difference. I only chimed in to say that Milwaukee's Black community is usually overlooked because it isn't that large and well-educated. I don't think its proximity to Chicago has much to do with it considering Philly is down the street from a cultural powerhouse yet has a Black community with a very distinctive identity.

Edit: Having gone back and read the OP a bit more carefully (it was long), the grouping does have some logic to it. Since he was grouping by states, and not cities or metros, I could see the sense in putting Minnesota and Wisconsin together since they rank 30th and 31st, respectively, in percentage of Black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 11:04 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
That's fine, but he grouped Milwaukee with Minneapolis, when it's a Chicago sattelite. That's all. It's easy to pick and choose when you're looking for a means to the end, but I doubt any black people in Milwaukee feel like they belong with the Twin Cities vs Chicago, and I'm sure Chicago would be the first black community, by a longshot, that locals would identify with.
I agree, as it seems like the people in both the Chicago and Milwaukee areas have roots in the same parts of the South. Actually, an uncle of mine lived in/near Racine for a little while after he left Mississippi. People may not realize that Racine actually around 25% Black and Brown Deer, just north of Milwaukee is about 35% Black. Metro Milwaukee is around 17-18% Black, which is about what metros such as Chicago and NYC are.

BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-27-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree, as it seems like the people in both the Chicago and Milwaukee areas have roots in the same parts of the South. Actually, an uncle of mine lived in/near Racine for a little while after he left Mississippi. People may not realize that Racine actually around 25% Black and Brown Deer, just north of Milwaukee is about 35% Black. Metro Milwaukee is around 17-18% Black, which is about what metros such as Chicago and NYC are.
But if you go back and re-read the OP, he didn't group Minneapolis and Milwaukee. He grouped Minnesota and Wisconsin. You might not necessarily agree with the grouping but there's certainly a logic to it. The OP even stated that Illinois, Indiana and Ohio were different from Minnesota and Wisconsin because the latter lack that "downstate" conservative element that's more reminscient of the South or the Plains region.

Does it make sense to group Chicago and Milwaukee together? Yes. But the OP wasn't grouping cities, he was grouping states. It also makes perfect sense to group Philly with NYC in most cases, but when grouping states, I can see the logical basis for pairing Pennsylvania with Ohio rather than New York.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But if you go back and re-read the OP, he didn't group Minneapolis and Milwaukee. He grouped Minnesota and Wisconsin. You might not necessarily agree with the grouping but there's certainly a logic to it. The OP even stated that Illinois, Indiana and Ohio were different from Minnesota and Wisconsin because the latter lack that "downstate" conservative element that's more reminscient of the South or the Plains region.

Does it make sense to group Chicago and Milwaukee together? Yes. But the OP wasn't grouping cities, he was grouping states. It also makes perfect sense to group Philly with NYC in most cases, but when grouping states, I can see the logical basis for pairing Pennsylvania with Ohio rather than New York.
I wasn't referring to the grouping, but the connection between the Milwaukee and Chicago metro areas. That's all.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 AM

In other news, are Mountain States the new move for Black folks?: African American Population Rises with Oil Boom in Rural Western States | Rocky Mountain PBS I-News

Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The Tristate- NY NJ PA CT: *PA Includes Philly out to Harrisburg/Chester. The rest of PA (Pittsburgh) goes into the midwest *Our school is in CT and we decided as badly as New Haven dudes want to affiliate with NYC there is just so much New Englandness surrounding it and there is no NYC radio stations and it does actually take some time to get to NYC from there...new haven is not included. Bridgeport Stamford and Fairfield county are.

This region is usually a consistent 15% black or so throughout the metros maybe up to 20%. They are deeply invested in basketball an private education. Mostly black American with influences from Jamaican and Puerto Rican culture. Very outspoken, somewhat militant in their black pride. Big into east coast hip hop and like to travel between NYC and Philly with Jersey being the focal point. They live in the densest areas of all black people and there is alto of competition and emphasis on business money and education. Heavy accents. Like to travel up to Martha Vineyard. Not too much into HBCUs.
Out of curiosity, what are the major differences between Blacks in the NYC area and Southern New England? We know that the accent is one of those differences but that's also a big difference between Philly and NYC.

TBH, I could never tell much of a difference between Black Bostonians and Black New Yorkers (other than accent). They dressed very similarly and the stylistic difference between artists like Benzino and Gangstarr and New York artists was basically non-existent. Both cities have a strong West Indian influence, which Philadelphia lacks.

Philly is a mix of its neighbors to its North and South. Its similar to DC and Baltimore in having a Black population largely of American South origin. When I think of Philly, I think more of old school players cruising along Lansdowne in clean Cadillacs with Frankie Beverly or the Delfonics playing for the whole entire neighborhood to hear. It's also a bit similar to Chicago in this way, imo. New York and Boston have a different flavor.

However, Philadelphians have earned a reputation of having a lot of "tood." And in that sense, I'd say Black Philadelphians are more similar to New Yorkers. Both cities were also early incubators of hip hop culture in the late 70s/early 80s.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-27-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Another difference between Philadelphia and NY/New England is the substantial Black Muslim presence. The Black Muslim community in Philadelphia is estimated to be around 200,000, which is about a third of the city's total Black population. You can't even begin to have a discussion about Black culture in Philadelphia without talking about Islam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0LdroU9E0

Old 05-27-2015, 12:19 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Another difference between Philadelphia and NY/New England is the substantial Black Muslim presence. The Black Muslim community in Philadelphia is estimated to be around 200,000, which is about a third of the city's total Black population. You can't even begin to have a discussion about Black culture in Philadelphia without talking about Islam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0LdroU9E0
I didn't know Philly had such a large Black Muslim population until I moved to the area; I read recently that it is now the largest in the nation, surpassing NYC and Detroit.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:21 PM

20,111 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I didn't know Philly had such a large Black Muslim population until I moved to the area; I read recently that it is now the largest in the nation, surpassing NYC and Detroit.
What are some of those other numbers?

Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population
You bet, you know the area and its history, unlike (cough) someone else. Cough.

MKE blacks and Chicago blacks often move back-and-forth between the two. Historically, like you said, there is a lot of Mississippi in both cities. Just about every long-time MKE black dude/gal I know has kin in Mississippi. Racine (5th biggest city in the state), right in between MKE/Chicago, is cut from the same cloth...it's a thread from Brown Deer (north of Milwaukee) through Milwaukee through Racine/Kenosha (4th biggest city in the state), and into Chicago.

You can say, "we're just comparing states," but the reality is this - almost every black person in the state of Wisconsin lives in a tiny region between Brown Deer and the Illinois border (near Chicago). A large chunk of the state's population in general is in this corridor. Nearly every person in Minnesota lives in the Twin Cities metro, not to mention specifically black people.

So while state comparisons work pretty well in some instances, going back to my initial point before it was derailed - it doesn't work for Wisconsin. Nearly the entire black population in the state is within an hour or so of Chicago, moves freely between the two, have similar histories to Chicago blacks, and so on. And since Minneapolis is 5-6 hours away and isolated from blacks in Milwaukee, there's no reason to group the two in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or