U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 PM

56,509 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Does the Muslim count include like the Moorish Science and the 5 Percenters?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:12 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does the Muslim count include like the Moorish Science and the 5 Percenters?
I guess though I would imagine their numbers are pretty miniscule in the Delaware Valley.

Philadelphia has had a large Muslim presence for as long as I can remember. The Muslim presence is so large that criminals now dress in garb. It's better than a ski mask since the garb won't draw any attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlgR8XIlMQs

Old 05-27-2015, 03:29 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,440,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think its Black Muslim population has been the largest for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it now has the largest Muslim population, period. Walk into any Philadelphia public school classroom and the number of students with names like Khalil, Khadijah, Mu'min, Fatima and Saddiyah is astounding.
Arabic names are very common in the African-American community as well. But the difference is, most black guys named Abdul, Jamal, and Rashid aren't Muslims.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:22 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,382,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Arabic names are very common in the African-American community as well. But the difference is, most black guys named Abdul, Jamal, and Rashid aren't Muslims.
That's true. I have an Arabic first name but I'm not Muslim.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I think Cleveland and Indianapolis due to their Black percentages may still be more attractive to a Black professional compared to Minneapolis. Both of those areas actually have solidly middle class, highly/predominately Black areas. So, there may be other factors that are considered.
That may be true. I was only pointing out that you don't "hear about" Milwaukee's Black population because it's not that large and there aren't many Black professionals. Likewise, we don't "hear about" the Black population in cities like Cincinnati or Indianapolis either.

Some of my friends from HS went to Pitt and they claim that was the worst city for Black people ever. But the Burg also has more educated Blacks than Milwaukee.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That may be true. I was only pointing out that you don't "hear about" Milwaukee's Black population because it's not that large and there aren't many Black professionals. Likewise, we don't "hear about" the Black population in cities like Cincinnati or Indianapolis either.

Some of my friends from HS went to Pitt and they claim that was the worst city for Black people ever. But the Burg also has more educated Blacks than Milwaukee.
I don't think it is that Milwaukee's Black population isn't large. It is a matter if not thinking about it, probably due to being in Wisconsin. We're talking about a city that is about 40-45% Black and a metro that is 17% Black, which again, is the same/similar percentage for metros like Chicago and NYC. I believe that Cincinnati and Indianapolis are about 15% in their metros. Cleveland is about 20% in its metro, with the city coming in at about 53% Black.

I'm sure that the Milwaukee area has Black professionals that you can find, but may take some research. Welcome To Black Public Relations Society Milwaukee

Black Professionals Meetups in Milwaukee - Meetup

With this said: Milwaukee must attract young black professionals

Old 05-27-2015, 05:30 PM

Milwaukee may have the lowest educational attainment among African Americans of any 1,000,000+ metro in the U.S.

Memphis - 57,099 (15.9%)
Birmingham - 37,220 (18.5%)
Phoenix - 28,448 (22.7%)
Seattle - 24,505 (20.2%)
San Diego - 21,203 (21.7%)
Las Vegas - 21,323 (16.5%)
San Antonio - 21,203 (21.7%)
Pittsburgh - 18,231 (15.9%)
Sacramento - 18,174 (19.4%)
Milwaukee - 17,512 (12.3%)
Buffalo - 12,029 (15.0%)
Portland - 8,829 (22.7%)

I will never complain about Boston again.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is that Milwaukee's Black population isn't large. It is a matter if not thinking about it, probably due to being in Wisconsin. We're talking about a city that is about 40-45% Black and a metro that is 17% Black, which again, is the same/similar percentage for metros like Chicago and NYC. I believe that Cincinnati and Indianapolis are about 15% in their metros. Cleveland is about 20% in its metro, with the city coming in at about 53% Black.

I'm sure that the Milwaukee area has Black professionals that you can find, but may take some research. Welcome To Black Public Relations Society Milwaukee

Black Professionals Meetups in Milwaukee - Meetup

With this said: Milwaukee must attract young black professionals
I meant large in an absolute sense. Metro Milwaukee's Black population is almost exactly the same size as Columbia, SC's, which is another city few Black people spend much time thinking about. That metro also has more Black professionals than Milwaukee.

Columbia - 32,437 (20.7%)

If you think about it, Pennsylvania isn't a particularly Black state (11%). You just have a huge concentration in Southeastern PA. California isn't very Black either. It's the metros with large Black populations that are first and foremost on people's minds. Obviously, Milwaukee is not one of those places.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-27-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I meant large in an absolute sense. Metro Milwaukee's Black population is almost exactly the same size as Columbia, SC's, which is another city few Black people spend much time thinking about. That metro also has more Black professionals than Milwaukee.

Columbia - 32,437 (20.7%)

If you think about it, Pennsylvania isn't a particularly Black state (11%). You just have a huge concentration in Southeastern PA. California isn't very Black either. It's the metros with large Black populations that are first and foremost on people's minds. Obviously, Milwaukee is not one of those places.
Milwaukee still has a Black percentage that is higher than the national percentage and has about 260,000 Black people. That isn't a small number.

Also, I would discount Columbia, as it is a growing metro in one of the Blackest states in the US. So, it is an area on the minds of some Black people.

As for PA, there is a concentration in Western and even South Central PA around Harrisburg, York and Lancaster. People may not realize that Harrisburg is about 55% Black, with some suburban areas(parts of Susquehanna Township, Steelton, the Central Dauphin East HS zone, etc) with high Black populations. You get this in many states where parts of them have higher concentrations than others.

Also, there are examples of places with a relatively high Black professional presence given their demographics. Ithaca NY is like that, for an example.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Milwaukee still has a Black percentage that is higher than the national percentage and has about 260,000 Black people. That isn't a small number.

Also, I would discount Columbia, as it is a growing metro in one of the Blackest states in the US. So, it is an area on the minds of some Black people.

As for PA, there is a concentration in Western and even South Central PA around Harrisburg, York and Lancaster. People may not realize that Harrisburg is about 55% Black, with some suburban areas(parts of Susquehanna Township, Steelton, the Central Dauphin East HS zone, etc) with high Black populations. You get this in many states where parts of them have higher concentrations than others.

Also, there are examples of places with a relatively high Black professional presence given their demographics. Ithaca NY is like that, for an example.
Meant to say that I wouldn't discount Columbia, which besides the University of South Carolina, has small HBCU's in Allen and Benedict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or