U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Boston
2,207 posts, read 1,299,411 times
Reputation: 2050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
These regions seem accurate.

However , I've always wondered why there's not much interaction and cultural exchange between Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto ricans & Dominicans) and African Americans/and other nonHispanic blacks like West indians n Africans, in Florida and other areas like Chicago, Cleveland, and VirginiaBeach), when being compared to the Northeast region, especially in NY, Philly, and Boston, where they treat each other almost like brothers.
Theres so many more in the north east. Especially new England where if you were to not interact with them your social circles would be noticeably smaller. The AA culture is easiest to identify with and be a part of in america but the west Indian hispanic numbers boost it. Look at a state like Rhode Island that has probably 2 or even 3 times as many Dominicans as AS with southern roots. In most circles I've ever rolled with in mass and Rhode island we never even think about hispanic as being hispanic..only when at a party and they play merengue bachata or salsa...some times we laugh but if they play too much of that were like "you....wheres the dancehall/hip hop??" its alsk because we live in all the same neighborhoods for the most part...Philly I don't even really count because even there I feel like its a somewhat small population of segregated Puerto ricans..the hispanic vibe is there...but it so overshadowed by the African American vibe. Up north its all split up so manh ways between west Africans..west indians....mixed people...AAs.

Here a quick breakdown of a Few famous black people from massachusetts that I could think of off the top of my head. Very mixed batch

Patrick Ewing (NBA HOF'er) Jamaican
Michael Beach (from Soul Food and The Game) Cape Verdean
Bobby brown (New Edition) African American
Shabazz Napier (Miami Heat) Puerto Rican and haitian
Nerlens Noel (Philadelphia 76ers) haitian
Poach hall (the game) cape Verdean and African american
Dana barros (former Nba All Star) cape verdean
Tavares (soul group) cape verdean
Louis farrakhan African american but mixed
Patrice oneal (decease comedian) African american
James Ihedigbo (NFL player) Nigerian
Donna summer African american
Guru (rapper) Barbadian and African American
Michael Carter Williams (Milwaukee bucks) White and African American.
Benzino (founder of the source, love and hip hop Atlanta) 1/2 cape verdean 1/4 white 1/4 trinidadian

A list for Rhode island would have more Dominicans and cape Verdeans... A list for CT will be more Jamaican Puerto Rican and African american...Heavily Jamaican though.

In short with such a diluted AA cultural presence black in this area are morenopen when it comes to who is like them and with whom they share similarities and culture with IMO.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-28-2015 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Boston
2,207 posts, read 1,299,411 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I like the OP summary. I guess one point I'd disagree on would be grouping a large and historic black population (Milwaukee) with Minneapolis (smaller and less historic), when Chicago (one of the country's black centers) is an hour and a half away, vs Minneapolis at 5-6 hours away. One of the reasons you don't "hear about" Milwaukee's black population is it's so enmeshed with Chicago's.
Im grouping states not cities. And I mentioned Milwaukee had similarities with Chicago in the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Boston
2,207 posts, read 1,299,411 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Out of curiosity, what are the major differences between Blacks in the NYC area and Southern New England? We know that the accent is one of those differences but that's also a big difference between Philly and NYC.

TBH, I could never tell much of a difference between Black Bostonians and Black New Yorkers (other than accent). They dressed very similarly and the stylistic difference between artists like Benzino and Gangstarr and New York artists was basically non-existent. Both cities have a strong West Indian influence, which Philadelphia lacks.

Philly is a mix of its neighbors to its North and South. Its similar to DC and Baltimore in having a Black population largely of American South origin. When I think of Philly, I think more of old school players cruising along Lansdowne in clean Cadillacs with Frankie Beverly or the Delfonics playing for the whole entire neighborhood to hear. It's also a bit similar to Chicago in this way, imo. New York and Boston have a different flavor.

However, Philadelphians have earned a reputation of having a lot of "tood." And in that sense, I'd say Black Philadelphians are more similar to New Yorkers. Both cities were also early incubators of hip hop culture in the late 70s/early 80s.
New YoArk blacks have more of that Philly 'tood' exactly. Blacks in New England prefer to move quietly..dress is similar but either grungier or more 'polo down" in New England not as crisp or as fresh everyday although yea when we go out wed dress all Harlem g fly. Also there are more sort of mixed blacks in New England..Cape Verdeans and Brazilians. African Americans in Boston i think are very very similar to NYC we just don't have yo let everyone know what street are cousins from and train what stop we take to work every morning Lol.

I agree with every thing u said about Philly folks. My dads family lives in Trenton NJ Willingboro NJ Lambertville NJ Clinton PA and West Philly..so I know how they move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Milwaukee still has a Black percentage that is higher than the national percentage and has about 260,000 Black people. That isn't a small number.
How did we go from "not large" to "not small"? I said that the Black communities we "hear about" are the large ones and/or the ones with upwardly mobile Black populations. Milwaukee's Black population doesn't fit either bill since it is not large in the manner of Detroit nor is it upwardly mobile and well-educated in the manner of Raleigh-Durham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, I would discount Columbia, as it is a growing metro in one of the Blackest states in the US. So, it is an area on the minds of some Black people.
We are talking about different things. I'm talking about Black communities that people "hear about," which would presumably include places like Atlanta, DC, Dallas, Chicago, NYC, etc. Areas of the U.S. with high Black percentages are not completely anomalous in the U.S., particularly in the South. Yet there are Black communities in the South that we often "hear about" like Raleigh, Houston, Charlotte and Atlanta and places we don't hear much about like Jackson. You are sort of conflating "high Black percentage" with notoriety and the two are not the same.

On the flipside, you have cities and metros with relatively low Black percentages like Los Angeles. People "hear about" the Black population there because it is large relative to most other places even if the overall percentage is low.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-28-2015 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Meant to say that I wouldn't discount Columbia, which besides the University of South Carolina, has small HBCU's in Allen and Benedict.
And yet it's interesting that the city wasn't mentioned ONCE in the 72 pages of this very recent thread.

What are the best cities in America for Black people all around, for everything?

Having a high Black percentage doesn't mean that your metro will have a high profile within Black America. As this thread demonstrates, a metro that's 33% Black can easily go under the radar and not garner as much as a whisper in a thread specifically devoted to discussing the "best cities in America for Black people."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times
Reputation: 8050
Cool idea for a thread-very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Reputation: 11726
Black educational attainment by MSA. The MSAs with the lowest educational attainment among AAs appear to be Youngstown, OH, Scranton, PA, Toledo, OH and Erie, PA. Milwaukee would be the 5th lowest.

New York - 490,575 (22.6%)
Washington - 298,879 (30.9%)
Atlanta - 293,711 (27.1%)
Chicago - 202,853 (20.1%)
Houston - 156,993 (24.2%)
Los Angeles - 143,702 (24.4%)
Dallas - 141,587 (23.1%)
Philadelphia - 139,870 (18.0%)
Miami - 128,699 (17.2%)
Detroit - 101,153 (16.8%)
Baltimore - 96,386 (20.0%)
Charlotte - 58,555 (21.7%)
San Francisco - 55,370 (23.1%)
St. Louis - 52,098 (16.7%)
Memphis - 48,250 (14.2%)
Boston - 46,034 (20.9%)
New Orleans - 38,249 (15.0%)
Raleigh - 37,979 (26.1%)
Richmond - 39,644 (17.4%)
Cleveland - 36,634 (14.1%)
Nashville - 36,235 (23.4%)
Seattle - 24,505 (20.2%)
Denver - 23,595 (25.64%)
Greensboro - 23,392 (20.6%)
San Diego - 21,114 (21.1%)
San Jose - 11,216 (35.2%)
Portland - 8,829 (22.7%)
Memphis - 57,099 (15.9%)
Birmingham - 37,220 (18.5%)
Columbia - 32,437 (20.7%)
Columbus (OH) - 32,271 (19.8%)
Jackson - 31,536 (19.5%)
Baton Rouge - 31,075 (18.4%)
Phoenix - 28,448 (22.7%)
Kansas City - 27,549 (17.9%)
Cincinnati - 24,122 (15.8%)
Las Vegas - 21,323 (16.5%)
San Diego - 21,203 (21.7%)
San Antonio - 21,203 (21.7%)
Augusta - 18,292 (14.9%)
Pittsburgh - 18,231 (15.9%)
Sacramento - 18,174 (19.4%)
Little Rock - 17,731 (19.0%)
Milwaukee - 17,512 (12.3%)
Charleston - 16,943 (14.7%)
Oklahoma City - 15,309 (20.0%)
Hunstville - 14,785 (26.4%)
Rochester - 13,946 (20.0%)
Shreveport - 13,640 (13.3%)
Winston Salem - 13,465 (19.4%)
Louisville - 12,429 (13.5%)
Greenville (SC) - 12,050 (14.1%)
Buffalo - 12,029 (15.0%)
Columbus (GA) - 10,271 (13.8%)
Flint - 6,237 (12.3%)
Chattanooga - 5,916 (13.0%)
Toledo - 5,655 (11.4%)
Knoxville - 5,551 (18.9%)
Lansing - 5,316 (24.3%)
Tuscon - 4,586 (21.6%)
Alburqueque - 4,391 (30.4%)
Youngstown - 2,998 (8.1%)
Erie - 1,267 (11.8%)
Olympia - 1,193 (30.1%)
Spokane - 942 (20.1%)
Scranton - 902 (9.5%)

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-28-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:29 AM
 
56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Theres so many more in the north east. Especially new England where if you were to not interact with them your social circles would be noticeably smaller. The AA culture is easiest to identify with and be a part of in america but the west Indian hispanic numbers boost it. Look at a state like Rhode Island that has probably 2 or even 3 times as many Dominicans as AS with southern roots. In most circles I've ever rolled with in mass and Rhode island we never even think about hispanic as being hispanic..only when at a party and they play merengue bachata or salsa...some times we laugh but if they play too much of that were like "you....wheres the dancehall/hip hop??" its alsk because we live in all the same neighborhoods for the most part...Philly I don't even really count because even there I feel like its a somewhat small population of segregated Puerto ricans..the hispanic vibe is there...but it so overshadowed by the African American vibe. Up north its all split up so manh ways between west Africans..west indians....mixed people...AAs.

Here a quick breakdown of a Few famous black people from massachusetts that I could think of off the top of my head. Very mixed batch

Patrick Ewing (NBA HOF'er) Jamaican
Michael Beach (from Soul Food and The Game) Cape Verdean
Bobby brown (New Edition) African American
Shabazz Napier (Miami Heat) Puerto Rican and haitian
Nerlens Noel (Philadelphia 76ers) haitian
Poach hall (the game) cape Verdean and African american
Dana barros (former Nba All Star) cape verdean
Tavares (soul group) cape verdean
Louis farrakhan African american but mixed
Patrice oneal (decease comedian) African american
James Ihedigbo (NFL player) Nigerian
Donna summer African american
Guru (rapper) Barbadian and African American
Michael Carter Williams (Milwaukee bucks) White and African American.
Benzino (founder of the source, love and hip hop Atlanta) 1/2 cape verdean 1/4 white 1/4 trinidadian

A list for Rhode island would have more Dominicans and cape Verdeans... A list for CT will be more Jamaican Puerto Rican and African american...Heavily Jamaican though.

In short with such a diluted AA cultural presence black in this area are morenopen when it comes to who is like them and with whom they share similarities and culture with IMO.
Farrakhan's mom was from St. Kitts and his dad was Jamaican. Where's Ralph Tresvant, Mike Bivins, Ricky Bell, Ronnie DeVoe, Jimmy Walker(Jalen Rose's dad), Mike Jarvis and Rumeal Robinson, among others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Black educational attainment by MSA. The MSAs with the lowest educational attainment among AAs appear to be Youngstown, OH, Scranton, PA and Toledo, OH. Milwaukee would be the 4th lowest.

New York - 490,575 (22.6%)
Washington - 298,879 (30.9%)
Atlanta - 293,711 (27.1%)
Chicago - 202,853 (20.1%)
Houston - 156,993 (24.2%)
Los Angeles - 143,702 (24.4%)
Dallas - 141,587 (23.1%)
Philadelphia - 139,870 (18.0%)
Miami - 128,699 (17.2%)
Detroit - 101,153 (16.8%)
Baltimore - 96,386 (20.0%)
Charlotte - 58,555 (21.7%)
San Francisco - 55,370 (23.1%)
Memphis - 48,250 (14.2%)
Boston - 46,034 (20.9%)
Raleigh - 37,979 (26.1%)
Richmond - 39,644 (17.4%)
Cleveland - 36,634 (14.1%)
Nashville - 36,235 (23.4%)
Seattle - 24,505 (20.2%)
Denver - 23,595 (25.64%)
Greensboro - 23,392 (20.6%)
San Diego - 21,114 (21.1%)
San Jose - 11,216 (35.2%)
Portland - 8,829 (22.7%)
Memphis - 57,099 (15.9%)
Birmingham - 37,220 (18.5%)
Columbia - 32,437 (20.7%)
Columbus (OH) - 32,271 (19.8%)
Jackson - 31,536 (19.5%)
Baton Rouge - 31,075 (18.4%)
Phoenix - 28,448 (22.7%)
Kansas City - 27,549 (17.9%)
Cincinnati - 24,122 (15.8%)
Las Vegas - 21,323 (16.5%)
San Diego - 21,203 (21.7%)
San Antonio - 21,203 (21.7%)
Augusta - 18,292 (14.9%)
Pittsburgh - 18,231 (15.9%)
Sacramento - 18,174 (19.4%)
Milwaukee - 17,512 (12.3%)
Charleston - 16,943 (14.7%)
Rochester - 13,946 (20.0%)
Shreveport - 13,640 (13.3%)
Winston Salem - 13,465 (19.4%)
Louisville - 12,429 (13.5%)
Greenville (SC) - 12,050 (14.1%)
Buffalo - 12,029 (15.0%)
Columbus (GA) - 10,271 (13.8%)
Flint - 6,237 (12.3%)
Chattanooga - 5,916 (13.0%)
Toledo - 5,655 (11.4%)
Knoxville - 5,551 (18.9%)
Lansing - 5,316 (24.3%)
Tuscon - 4,586 (21.6%)
Alburqueque - 4,391 (30.4%)
Youngstown - 2,998 (8.1%)
Olympia - 1,193 (30.1%)
Spokane - 942 (20.1%)
Scranton - 902 (9.5%)
What's your point, doof? You've wasted a lot of precious screen space flopping around needlessly, when you even admitted you agreed with my initial (very simple) point - Milwaukee's blacks should be grouped with Chicago's blacks, not Minneapolis'. Considering nearly every black person in Wisconsin lives just north of Chicago, moves freely throughout the area, and has a similar heritage, this is pretty easy to understand.

The one flaw in grouping by states is that it doesn't make ANY sense in Wisconsin's case. Continue vomiting all the data you want, but it doesn't make a lick of difference - OP did a nice job, but one flaw is grouping blacks in Milwaukee with blacks in Minneapolis, when they are basically a sattelite revolving around Chicago. This is a fact. I live here. You have likely never been here. Another dude who has heavy knowledge of the region also agrees. Give it up, you're just wasting space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Boston
2,207 posts, read 1,299,411 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Farrakhan's mom was from St. Kitts and his dad was Jamaican. Where's Ralph Tresvant, Mike Bivins, Ricky Bell, Ronnie DeVoe, Jimmy Walker(Jalen Rose's dad), Mike Jarvis and Rumeal Robinson, among others?
I forgot Jimmy walker and Rumeal...I dunno mike Jarvis...I as told else wise about farrakhan but looked it up and your right. There are a lot of people...not trying to list them all ...is lolhave to get into Rhode island and co necticut and that would be all day...and Can't forget Travis best and D. Woods from springfield mass..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top