Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 10:20 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good points...

I will also say about NY is that it also has a pretty high Hispanic percentage(about 19%) and what is different is that many come from countries/have roots in countries that are of the diaspora. Meaning, many are black(alone or in combination) and in turn, the Black including in combination percentage may actually be even higher than what it is. I say that because some may strictly identify as “Hispanic/Latino” and/or “Other”. So, those could be some aspects to consider in terms of NY as well.
was in n.y.c. recently. went to a dominican take-out restaurant in brooklyn and the african-american girl i was with mentioned it was one of the tastiest spanish restaurants she been to. the owner gave a weird look. on the way out i said hes actually dominican. she said oh please, he would be glad i called him spanish...those people dont like to claim black....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 11:33 AM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Quote:
Depends on who you include, as if you count those in combination, NY has a little bit more(as of now). BlackDemographics.com | Black Population by State

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NY (take Black alone and a portion of the 2 or more races population to get the percentage above)

Even then, NY State has a higher percentage than TX and people may not realize that NY is the Blackest state outside of the South. It’s percentage is essentially on par with states such as FL, TN and AR, while not not being too much lower than that of VA and NC. This means that it is around 10th/11th in Black percentage in terms of state rankings.

What is interesting is that NYC isn’t even the state’s city with the highest percentage. Cities such as Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse and Poughkeepsie have higher percentages. This doesn’t even get into a city like Mount Vernon, which may be the Blackest truly urban municipality in the country today or other NYC suburbs like Hempstead, Uniondale, Baldwin, Elmont, North Valley Stream, Wheatley Heights, Roosevelt, North Amityville, Westbury, Wyandanch, Hillcrest, Spring Valley, etc. that are predominantly or pluralistically more Black.

Then you have other cities like Middletown, Newburgh, Schenectady, Niagara Falls, New Rochelle, Beacon, Hudson, etc. that are around 20-25% Black, give or take. Some others are around the national percentage to 20% like Troy, Utica, Binghamton, Elmira, Kingston, Yonkers, White Plains, Nyack/South Nyack, Peekskill, etc.

So, I say all of this to say that it is more than just NYC(proper), as if you take it out, the state’s percentage would still around the national percentage.
You also have to take into consideration the many black Hispanics in NYC who identify as just Hispanic or latino.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:20 AM

91 posts, read 79,315 times
I dont know why, but when I think of New England blacks especially Rhode Island and Massachusetts, I think of Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air it must be them fresh preppy polo clothes and sweater vests

Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
I dont know why, but when I think of New England blacks especially Rhode Island and Massachusetts, I think of Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air it must be them fresh preppy polo clothes and sweater vests
New England blacks are more impoversihed, younger and Ghettoized than most blacks. That Carlton thing couldn't be further from the truth

Old 04-08-2019, 12:01 PM

91 posts, read 79,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New England blacks are more impoversihed, younger and Ghettoized than most blacks. That Carlton thing couldn't be further from the truth
Maybe many of them are poor and "ghetto", but I doubt more than the blacks deep down south, I traveled throughout the country no region beats the black poverty there. Also you have blacks in cities like Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, who are also easily ghettoer than blacks in New England, those cities are easily far poorer and more dangerous than anything in New England even Hartford, Ive been all of new england not doubting it has some bad areas and low income minority areas but its rather tame compared to the rest of the country. However I do agree the wealth gap between blacks and whites is widest in New England, but that has less to do with black poverty and more to do with white wealth, the whites in New England are wealthier than most whites.

Also, you dont have to be rich to dress and act like Carlton. yall in New England overuse Polo

Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Maybe many of them are poor and "ghetto", but I doubt more than the blacks deep down south, I traveled throughout the country no region beats the black poverty there. Also you have blacks in cities like Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, who are also easily ghettoer than blacks in New England, those cities are easily far poorer and more dangerous than anything in New England even Hartford, Ive been all of new england not doubting it has some bad areas and low income minority areas but its rather tame compared to the rest of the country. However I do agree the wealth gap between blacks and whites is widest in New England, but that has less to do with black poverty and more to do with white wealth, the whites in New England are wealthier than most whites.

Also, you dont have to be rich to dress and act like Carlton. yall in New England overuse Polo
The wealth gap between whites an blacks and new england is what makes the culture and attitude so ghetto, it's very very isolated from the "mainstream". But they certainly don't act or dress like Carlton aside from polo rugby shirts and polo boots. The youthful and segregated communities of New England keep it far from Carltonesqur. Hartford has some very bad pockets of poverty but their black community is maybe more solid than Springfield and Brockton which have similar blight. I'd say the thing in New England is that 98% of minority heavy areas are very low income- that's not the case almost anywhere else in the country. Hartford Sringfield Boston and Providence have some of the absolute lowest chances of childhood opportunity for black and Hispanic children in the country. Furthermore 38% of latino children and 31% of black children in MA are poor which is made worse because it's so wildly expensive to live there. Income and homeowner ship wise blacks in NE are poorer than ones in NJ DE and MD. In addition to this while blacks nation wide have a net worth of about 2500 dollars, in the Boston area it's $8.

MA and RI have tho lowest rates of black homeownership at 28% and 26% respectively in the entire country.

I fail to see where blacks in New England have anything in common with Carlton much less act like him. Usually 6-8 madsachusetts cities re in the top 100 most dangerous accompanied by about 3/4 CT cities. So in any given yet 9-12% of the nation's most dangerous cities are in MA and CT, WHICH ACCOUNTS FOR ABOUT 3% OF THE US POPULATION.

Many other Northern ghettos look worse because New England is extremely looks conscientious, and very about image and proper development. I think the blacks in poor areas of New England are better educated than poor blacks anywhere else.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,096,281 times
On the Deep South/Mid South - MS aka The Sipp or Sip

I would describe the subculture as Friendly, Easy-going , & Independent. We get more attention to the rural areas then the urban areas. Most people, I assume , think of the movies The Help or Mississippi Damned in regards to Black community here and it doesn't reflect the broad life of Blacks. We have incredible artists, musicians, writers, & hard workers that displays the daily life here. Also, Blacks have the highest homeownership here.

Besides Blues, Soul, & Gospel ; Rock music have it's origin here. Hence the side name America's Birthplace of Music.

Fashion is definitely here but most blacks dress according to their age groups & comfort. Older blacks tend to dress conservatively & plainscloth , younger dress like whatever trends going on at the time or Polo style & plain. All that styling & profiling is individual. It probably stands out in Jackson.

Soul Food & other home cook meals are quite delicious.

As for our migrants; Chicago, St.Louis, East STL, Milwaukee, Racine, Des Moines, Davenport, & Minneapolis black communities have ties here. Lesser ties are both West & East Coast major cities. St Louis have the highest ratio of Sipp roots while the Chi have the largest numbers. Heavy geographic themes play in the entire African American community from entertainment to family roots. Blacks from the Sipp will rarely venture north of NYC on the East Coast and sometimes to California depending on the individuals.

Last edited by Sharif662; 04-09-2019 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Additional info.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
On the Deep South/Mid South - MS aka The Sipp or Sip

I would describe the subculture as Friendly, Easy-going , & Independent. We get more attention to the rural areas then the urban areas. Most people, I assume , think of the movies The Help or Mississippi Damned in regards to Black community here and it doesn't reflect the broad life of Blacks. We have incredible artists, musicians, writers, & hard workers that displays the daily life here. Also, Blacks have the highest homeownership here.

Besides Blues, Soul, & Gospel ; Rock music have it's origin here. Hence the side name America's Birthplace of Music.

Fashion is definitely here but most blacks dress according to their age groups & comfort. Older blacks tend to dress conservatively & plainscloth , younger dress like whatever trends going on at the time or Polo style & plain. All that styling & profiling is individual. It probably stands out in Jackson.

Soul Food & other home cook meals are quite delicious.

As for our migrants; Chicago, St.Louis, East STL, Milwaukee, Racine, Des Moines, Davenport, & Minneapolis black communities have ties here. Lesser ties are both West & East Coast major cities. St Louis have the highest ratio of Sipp roots while the Chi have the largest numbers. Heavy geographic themes play in the entire African American community from entertainment to family roots. Blacks from the Sipp will rarely venture north of NYC on the East Coast and sometimes to California depending on the individuals.
This actually occurs more than you might think. Some migrated to Upstate NY as well to Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. I even met a guy when I was in the military who was from RI and his father was originally from MS. So, said folks go all over the country.

Here is an example of a gospel group whose roots are in MS, but they live in a small town in between Rochester and Syracuse: Greg Logins & Revival - Our Group So, they went from here: City of Grenada - MS
to here: https://www.villageofnewark.com/ some went to this nearby town too, which is known for being a place that many black migrant farm families went to: https://townofsodus.net/ Why I mention the second town: https://gogriffs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3805

Ironically, on the MS side of my family, the grandmother on that side had family in Santa Monica going back several decades. So, some would go to CA too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-09-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 12:02 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Quote:
This actually occurs more than you might think. Some migrated to Upstate NY as well to Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. I even met a guy when I was in the military who was from RI and his father was originally from MS. So, said folks go all over the country.

Here is an example of a gospel group whose roots are in MS, but they live in a small town in between Rochester and Syracuse: Greg Logins & Revival - Our Group So, they went from here: City of Grenada - MS
to here: https://www.villageofnewark.com/ some went to this nearby town too, which is known for being a place that many black migrant farm families went to: https://townofsodus.net/
I'm speaking travel wise. Those communities you mentioned are the lessor amount migrants I generally mentioned. I know they migrated up there but in really small numbers ( couple thousand or so) compared to the Midwest ( tens to hundreds of thousands). I rarely but until another black person here with family in upstate NY nor new england region.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I'm speaking travel wise. Those communities you mentioned are the lessor amount migrants I generally mentioned. I know they migrated up there but in really small numbers ( couple thousand or so) compared to the Midwest ( tens to hundreds of thousands). I rarely but until another black person here with family in upstate NY nor new england region.
Got it...If they do migrate, they tend to come from the Delta from places like Clarksdale, Grenada or Belzoni, among a few others. Those are some of the places I'm familiar with in that regard.

Another place in Iowa many went to was Waterloo, which is about 17% and currently has a black mayor. Detroit and Flint were also popular migration spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.