U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,715,222 times

Advertisements

I recall once visiting a store in Lima, OH that advertised nationally within its niche. We stopped there diverting from a cross country road trip in the days before GPS. After checking out I asked what the best way was to drive to Cleveland from there to get back on track for our trip. The fellow behind the counter (who might then have been in his mid-fifties as I recall him) said he didn't know, as he'd never been to Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM

656 posts, read 1,792,596 times
There was a lady in my Surgery Tech school in Columbia, Missouri who had never been outside of the state of Missouri. I believe she was around 25 years old. I wanted to drive her in my car to St. Louis and over the bridge into Illinois and make her get out of the car for at least a few minutes so she could say she'd been to at least one other state.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 25 days ago)

9,830 posts, read 21,140,229 times
I had only been outside the state of Kentucky a handful of times before I was a teenager, and only in counties that bordered Kentucky (Hamilton Co Ohio and Campbell Co Tennessee Jelico area) because I was raise by a single mom who only made minimum wage. To me a vacation meant visiting relatives somewhere else in the state. My first big vacation was in 1998 which consisted of going to the area around the OH and MS river confluences, mainly to barely go into other states lol. A year later I did spend a week with a family in Ontario Canada. To date I haven't got to travel very much because I don't get much vacation at work and have student loan debt that limits my options of traveling by plane (too costly). I do look at places everyday that I've never been too on Google Streetview though

Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,195,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I do look at places everyday that I've never been too on Google Streetview though
It's funny you mention that, because I often avoid looking at places on Google Street View before I visit as it sort of ruins the magic and allure of travel for me.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 AM

371 posts, read 427,704 times
That is a thing around here... Tons of people do not leave this state. Many of them say they never wish to as it is the only place worth living. I go ahead and plan my next vacation where I see as much as I can, and do as much as I can.... and I feel sorry for others who do not feel the need to do so- just because I know what it is like to find a place where you are so happy and you have so much wonder just by looking at your mere surroundings. There are many people who are from my hometown, and will always live there. It is a bit of a vacuum.

Then they comment on how awesome my pictures are, or how they can not believe I climbed this mountain, or take note of how passionate I am about traveling.... hmmm.. makes me scratch my head. Maybe they are scared to leave really, because they know they would rather be somewhere else? Or maybe, they just do not know any better?

Thankfully my dad was a dreamer, and has always wanted out of here as badly as I do... maybe that is where I get it from. One day, just one day I can be a transplant to somewhere else, and I will be proud of it...... until then I try to spread the word and try to show others what else is out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or