U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:09 PM

39 posts, read 87,579 times

Advertisements

It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry has been to at least half the states. It would be refreshing for the sake of perspective to meet someone who has never ventured outside his /her home state. I hear they exist but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting one.

Does anyone know any such person- someone at least 30 or 40 who falls in that category?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:36 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
I think these forums are the exception. At least where I live, most people I meet are sheltered and have lived in the same state/city their whole life and never wanted to leave. And when they take vacations, they do it within the state. I have a hard time understanding those people.

I meet them everyday.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:46 PM

39 posts, read 87,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think these forums are the exception. At least where I live, most people I meet are sheltered and have lived in the same state/city their whole life and never wanted to leave. And when they take vacations, they do it within the state. I have a hard time understanding those people.

I meet them everyday.

Thanks for the reply...My question is- Have any of these people not set foot outside the state?

I've lived in the same state all my life too but I've been to most parts of the country.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:58 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Thanks for the reply...My question is- Have any of these people not set foot outside the state?

I've lived in the same state all my life too but I've been to most parts of the country.
I have no idea, actually. They just do. A family member of mine bought a house in the city they grew up in and have never left the state. I guess some people just don't think about it and are content with where they grew up. Here, you ask people why don't they travel somewhere...or you tell them you are moving somewhere else in the country and they just give you a puzzled look and ask you why.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,461,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry has been to at least half the states. It would be refreshing for the sake of perspective to meet someone who has never ventured outside his /her home state. I hear they exist but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting one.

Does anyone know any such person- someone at least 30 or 40 who falls in that category?
I'd say that it is fairly uncommon, outside of being in abject poverty, for an adult to have never ventured outside of his/her home state. In most locations, a state border is about a 2-3 hour drive or less away.

For example, living in Michigan, let's say I vacation in the northern part of the state every year, but I've taken a trip to Cedar Point in Ohio once and to Chicago a couple of times. I've hardly gone anywhere, but I have still have left the state. (Personally, I've traveled much more than that - I'm just giving an example.)

I've known a few people who haven't ventured very far away from their home state though.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,791,472 times
Quote:

I meet them everyday.
I totally agree with this. Where I grew up in PA, it was the case. I just can't understand. The people, who live there, never leave or travel outside of the area. Sadly, many are very unhappy and depressed. They have no clue what they are missing!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:24 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,532,267 times
I live not far from a state border so no most people regularly cross the border to do things like shopping, but many people hardly travel more than say an hour or so from town (which is one of 4 states in New England or parts of DE/PA/MD/NJ.)

Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,050,504 times
I know A LOT of people who've lived in the same small town all their lives, or in the next small town(s) over.

Most of them have traveled outside the state briefly but they've never wanted to move or stay gone too long. 90% of their entire lives is spent in the same little town! (I'm talking people who are 60+ too.... I know plenty of those types around here!)

It would be extremely hard to find someone who's never even left their town they were born in. Even some small towns/cities near them can be as close as a 1 hour walk...

Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,225,730 times
Quote:

I meet them everyday.
I know a couple of people like that, but the vast majority of people I know who have never traveled badly want to travel. But the cost to travel out of state (unless you live near a border) is pretty astronomical.

Take where I live (Michigan) for example. Flying is outrageously expensive, so if you're in the middle of Michigan, where are you going to drive to for a reasonable cost? Other than within Michigan itself, is it really worth hundreds of dollars to visit Ohio? Indiana? Illinois? Ontario? Sure, Chicago might be worth the trip, but again, the cost deters people.

Now, most of the people I know have traveled to those couple of states, and maybe a few who have been to Ontario, but by and large people just can't afford to travel. And since there aren't too many big money jobs in this area that require travel, there's no excuse to get out for many people.

That being said, most people I know have been out of state, just not often or to glamorous places.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 AM

20,084 posts, read 11,142,800 times
I would not include merely having traveled to another state, such as on a vacation, as significant. So someone who has lived in Eureka, IL, all his life took a trip straight to Disneyland or Las Vegas and then drove right back to Eureka. That did not require any learning involvement in any of the states he drove through (on the Interstate stopping only at the same McDonalds and Wal-Marts he had at home).

I was an Army brat of an Army brat, and then I myself had an Air Force career--and the same was true of my wife. So to us, the idea of having lived in multiple places in our lives seems perfectly normal. Having retired, I have met a great number of people whose experiences outside the county they were born in are no greater than a trip to Disneyland.

I find such people strange. But they also find me strange. When my wife and I decided to take advantage of an opportunity to make a company relocation from Illinois to Dallas, those people exclaimed to me that they thought it incredible and courageous that I'd do such a thing. We've spent over 13 years living in the Far East; to us, it was far more unnatural to have lived in IL for as long as we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or