U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:23 AM

44,867 posts, read 36,203,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
A year in Houston:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from the 60s to the 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring? I'd love to be outside, but there is all this yellow pollen covering everything that won't let me breathe without an inhaler.

April - Since the humidity has matched the temps, I'm sweating through my T shirts. Better go to the beach for a refreshing swim now before the water reaches 85 degrees as well. Eating outside in the evening is nice . . . as long as I have citronella candles to chase away the mosquitoes.

May - It's heeeeer! Hot and humid days, so I'm taking the show indoors. I'm afraid of my AC bill.

June - I was right to be afraid of my AC bill. And now it's going to get worse. Sure looks inviting outside. Wish I could enjoy being out there but "sweat-fest" is in full force. At least we have cable to entertain us. And all the bugs have come inside to keep us company.

July - OMG - I just returned from the store! The car seat was soooo hot when I got back in and sat on it. Ouch - so was the steering wheel! Hope the ice cream doesn't melt before I get home.

August - When is this going to end? 95 degrees and unbearable humidity!!! Please don't make me cut the grass, honey! I'm a sticky mess after being outside only 5 minutes. And my AC bill!!

September - I'm so depressed. I just talked to my friends up north who are enjoying football under a crisp sun at 70 degrees. I went to the game yesterday, but no way was I going to tailgate. Get me inside that domed stadium ASAP! Even the evenings are still sticky.

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? Then why is it still in the 90's? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all this ragweed - thank goodness for my inhaler!

November - What a relief it is! It's so nice to finally be able to go outside again. Too bad daylight saving time is over and it's dark when I get home from work.

December - Let's turn up the AC so we can light a fire and get in the holiday spirit!!! "In the meadow we can build a snowman" . . . well, we can sing about it.

January - Why is it so dark, damp, cool and rainy?

February - Hey, it's nice outside! Too bad this month only has 28 days. Maybe I can make a deal with my higher power: "I'll do anything if you can keep March from rolling around again."
Just goes to show how subjective opinions about weather are!

Here's my take, three hours north of Houston but still definitely in the heart of East Texas:

(This year has had unusual weather patterns due to El Nino so I'll just stick with generalities - I mean, it's February but 78 with abundant sunshine today and that's not really typical.)

January - I love January in East Texas. Cold at night but usually in the 50s during the day. Cold enough for coats and boots and the occasional cute scarf. Cold enough for a hot cup of tea by the fire in the evening. I love this little touch of winter and long, dark, cold nights. This is also fire pit season, which runs from about December through March. We love sitting on the patio around the fire pit with friends and family.

February - Though February can be cold and wet, we also always have a week or so of "false spring," where I have to force myself not to buy plants! Great time of year for cleaning out flower beds. Intersperced between the early spring showers are always days of abundant sunshine and a brisk wind. Love it! Nights are still chilly, which is nice.

March - Spring is in the air! But don't be lulled into a false sense of security - we often get some frozen precipitation and a cold snap during March. Meanwhile, though, enjoy the deep blue skies, big clouds running across it in the wind, and tons of sunshine. This is when the new, soft green starts appearing everywhere. I move my winter clothes to the upstairs closet and bring down the linen tops, the cropped pants and all those cute sandals.

April - Does it get any better than this? Texas wildflowers everywhere - like a carpet of bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush. Crisp, sunny days, highs in the high 70s, lows that are perfect for a light sweater. Absolutely gorgeous weather!

May - I love me some East Texas May. Being a southerner by birth, temps in the 80s feel pleasant to me - not hot. I love the big Texas thunderstorms that often move through, filled with spectacular thunder and lightning. Yes, I know they also occasionally bring tornadoes, but I've lived in Tornado Alley most of my life and never suffered any serious wind damage to any property. So I admit to being a storm junkie - I love standing on the porch watching huge, boiling clouds moving in! I love making a cup of tea and watching the local weather news and oohing and ahhing over all the shots of flooded roads. My husband works out of town a lot and I usually send him videos of the creek across from our house, rampaging through the neighborhood like a herd of buffalo! As fast as it moves in, it moves out and the skies fill with sun again.

June - Summer is here and so is 90+ degree weather and humidity. The plus side to humidity is that skin, lips, hair, eyes, etc don't dry out. Sandals and cute toes are a must. Mornings are lovely and I spend a lot of time working in the yard before 10 am, when the air is still cool and the birds seem to be competing for top singing awards! Evenings are perfect for patio sitting with a cold beer and some dogs. The lawn is so lush and green - I love playing with our two big dogs out there.

By the way, we don't have a mosquito problem even living right across from a creek, because we spray for mosquitoes once a month starting in March and ending in October and consequently never see one.

July - OK, yeah - it's hot. Even though mornings are fresh with dew, it's usually above 90 by noon. Abundant sunshine, but we do get the occasional, spectacular summer storm. Prerequisite for any patio is ceiling fans - and that patio better face east or north or there's simply no sitting on it in the evening. Luckily, our patio is well suited for late night conversations but we don't go out there till after 9 pm! THANK GOODNESS FOR AIR CONDITIONING. Yes, our summer electric bills are high - but they're offset by our very low heating costs in our short winter.

This is also the time of year when a sprinkler system is a straight up necessity if you want to have a lawn.

Even so - east Texas is full of lakes, rivers, etc. Flying across a lake in a fast boat can quickly make you forget how hot it is! Water sports are very big around here in the summer.

August - This is the month that separates the boys from the men. Hot. HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. This is matinee month, mall month, vacation somewhere else month. This is when I start wondering why I thought all these patio plants were a good idea because even with my morning care, they are struggling and look miserable. My dogs sleep all day under the shed except for when their noses are pressed against my back door and I take pity on them and let them inside. It's not unusual for temps to hit 105 for several days in a row. This is when I start making myself turn on ceiling fans everywhere and telling myself that inside temps of 78 are comfortable.

September - Yes, it's still hot. Not August hot but still hot. But there's a hint of fall in the morning and evening hours. We didn't get the fall memo, so Texas trees, bushes, and flowering plants are in full bloom and seem to perk up for one last show before settling down for fall and winter. Roses, crepe myrtles, lantana, verbena, Texas sage, Mexican heather, and all sorts of other flowering plants are overflowing their pots and beds and yards. There are so many flowering plants that are well suited to our weather.

October - this is the big question - is it going to be warm or cool for Halloween? This determines the type of costume one wears. And it's a toss up! But I really like October in Texas. No, you can't start wearing your winter scarves, but the temps edge back down into the 70s and low 80s at the hottest part of the day, and mornings and evenings are fantastic. No fall colors yet - we don't get those till late November - but the weather this time of year is often absolutely perfect to me.

November - One of my favorite months! Fall colors begin peeking out. We get some chilly nights sometimes, and daytime temps are in the wonderful 60s and 70s. As usual, plenty of sunshine, but we do get occasional storms and rain showers. Squirrels seem to be everywhere! This is one of those months when the big Texas sky is so blue it almost looks unreal. Crisp, fall weather, windy, and the leaves finally begin to turn and fall.

December - It's not unusual to get frozen rain or snow a few times a year here, and this is often the month we get the first taste of winter weather. Nights are definitely cold, and it's usually in December that we get our first freeze warning. As for Christmas week and Christmas Day - it's unpredictable. It might be cold and it might be almost warm - but most years it's sweater weather during the day.

December, January and February are usually the only months we can build a fire - and that's not every night.

But that's how I like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think it's funny, that they forget about the 8 or 9 very awesome months we have every year. They like to think that it's cold year-around, which is actually pretty funny.
I know what you mean. Reading things on this forum, you would think that Texans have 90 and 100 degree weather for 10 months out of the year.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM

1,687 posts, read 989,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It tells me to drink more water.
And in the humidity you need to drink more to msintain. In dry hest you're not pouring sweat.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 AM

32 posts, read 20,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
And in the humidity you need to drink more to msintain. In dry hest you're not pouring sweat.
You sweat more in dry heat than you do in humid heat, it just evaporates faster. So you actually need more water in dry heat than humid heat.

Basic science 101.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:17 AM

196 posts, read 146,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I respectfully disagree with this too. We lived in Phoenix during the summer months and yes, of course it was hot, but it didn't feel as bad as we were warned that it would. You avoid the sun in the middle of the day and by evening it has cooled down to about 95 degrees which somehow actually feels temperate, probably because of the lack of humidity. We went for walks in the evening in the summer and it was perfect.

OTOH, I have been to Florida and Charleston, SC in the summer and it almost felt difficult to breathe because of the dense humidity in the air. We get humidity in the summer here in Michigan, but not the kind of "I feel like I have a hot, wet towel over my face" humidity that we have experinced in the Southeast in the summertime.

I love both areas and would not let the summer weather stop me if I wanted to move to either area, just as the cold winter weather does not keep me from loving Michigan, I'm just saying that for us the dry heat felt much more tolerable than the wet heat.
And yet Phoenix's dry heat would still feel hotter.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:55 AM

6,959 posts, read 9,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
hotter but more manageable

Old 02-18-2016, 11:03 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,427,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
Hotter but more comfortable overall, at least for me and my family.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:37 AM

6,861 posts, read 7,806,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just goes to show how subjective opinions about weather are!

Here's my take, three hours north of Houston but still definitely in the heart of East Texas:

(This year has had unusual weather patterns due to El Nino so I'll just stick with generalities - I mean, it's February but 78 with abundant sunshine today and that's not really typical.)

January - I love January in East Texas. Cold at night but usually in the 50s during the day. Cold enough for coats and boots and the occasional cute scarf. Cold enough for a hot cup of tea by the fire in the evening. I love this little touch of winter and long, dark, cold nights. This is also fire pit season, which runs from about December through March. We love sitting on the patio around the fire pit with friends and family.

February - Though February can be cold and wet, we also always have a week or so of "false spring," where I have to force myself not to buy plants! Great time of year for cleaning out flower beds. Intersperced between the early spring showers are always days of abundant sunshine and a brisk wind. Love it! Nights are still chilly, which is nice.

March - Spring is in the air! But don't be lulled into a false sense of security - we often get some frozen precipitation and a cold snap during March. Meanwhile, though, enjoy the deep blue skies, big clouds running across it in the wind, and tons of sunshine. This is when the new, soft green starts appearing everywhere. I move my winter clothes to the upstairs closet and bring down the linen tops, the cropped pants and all those cute sandals.

April - Does it get any better than this? Texas wildflowers everywhere - like a carpet of bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush. Crisp, sunny days, highs in the high 70s, lows that are perfect for a light sweater. Absolutely gorgeous weather!

May - I love me some East Texas May. Being a southerner by birth, temps in the 80s feel pleasant to me - not hot. I love the big Texas thunderstorms that often move through, filled with spectacular thunder and lightning. Yes, I know they also occasionally bring tornadoes, but I've lived in Tornado Alley most of my life and never suffered any serious wind damage to any property. So I admit to being a storm junkie - I love standing on the porch watching huge, boiling clouds moving in! I love making a cup of tea and watching the local weather news and oohing and ahhing over all the shots of flooded roads. My husband works out of town a lot and I usually send him videos of the creek across from our house, rampaging through the neighborhood like a herd of buffalo! As fast as it moves in, it moves out and the skies fill with sun again.

June - Summer is here and so is 90+ degree weather and humidity. The plus side to humidity is that skin, lips, hair, eyes, etc don't dry out. Sandals and cute toes are a must. Mornings are lovely and I spend a lot of time working in the yard before 10 am, when the air is still cool and the birds seem to be competing for top singing awards! Evenings are perfect for patio sitting with a cold beer and some dogs. The lawn is so lush and green - I love playing with our two big dogs out there.

By the way, we don't have a mosquito problem even living right across from a creek, because we spray for mosquitoes once a month starting in March and ending in October and consequently never see one.

July - OK, yeah - it's hot. Even though mornings are fresh with dew, it's usually above 90 by noon. Abundant sunshine, but we do get the occasional, spectacular summer storm. Prerequisite for any patio is ceiling fans - and that patio better face east or north or there's simply no sitting on it in the evening. Luckily, our patio is well suited for late night conversations but we don't go out there till after 9 pm! THANK GOODNESS FOR AIR CONDITIONING. Yes, our summer electric bills are high - but they're offset by our very low heating costs in our short winter.

This is also the time of year when a sprinkler system is a straight up necessity if you want to have a lawn.

Even so - east Texas is full of lakes, rivers, etc. Flying across a lake in a fast boat can quickly make you forget how hot it is! Water sports are very big around here in the summer.

August - This is the month that separates the boys from the men. Hot. HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. This is matinee month, mall month, vacation somewhere else month. This is when I start wondering why I thought all these patio plants were a good idea because even with my morning care, they are struggling and look miserable. My dogs sleep all day under the shed except for when their noses are pressed against my back door and I take pity on them and let them inside. It's not unusual for temps to hit 105 for several days in a row. This is when I start making myself turn on ceiling fans everywhere and telling myself that inside temps of 78 are comfortable.

September - Yes, it's still hot. Not August hot but still hot. But there's a hint of fall in the morning and evening hours. We didn't get the fall memo, so Texas trees, bushes, and flowering plants are in full bloom and seem to perk up for one last show before settling down for fall and winter. Roses, crepe myrtles, lantana, verbena, Texas sage, Mexican heather, and all sorts of other flowering plants are overflowing their pots and beds and yards. There are so many flowering plants that are well suited to our weather.

October - this is the big question - is it going to be warm or cool for Halloween? This determines the type of costume one wears. And it's a toss up! But I really like October in Texas. No, you can't start wearing your winter scarves, but the temps edge back down into the 70s and low 80s at the hottest part of the day, and mornings and evenings are fantastic. No fall colors yet - we don't get those till late November - but the weather this time of year is often absolutely perfect to me.

November - One of my favorite months! Fall colors begin peeking out. We get some chilly nights sometimes, and daytime temps are in the wonderful 60s and 70s. As usual, plenty of sunshine, but we do get occasional storms and rain showers. Squirrels seem to be everywhere! This is one of those months when the big Texas sky is so blue it almost looks unreal. Crisp, fall weather, windy, and the leaves finally begin to turn and fall.

December - It's not unusual to get frozen rain or snow a few times a year here, and this is often the month we get the first taste of winter weather. Nights are definitely cold, and it's usually in December that we get our first freeze warning. As for Christmas week and Christmas Day - it's unpredictable. It might be cold and it might be almost warm - but most years it's sweater weather during the day.

December, January and February are usually the only months we can build a fire - and that's not every night.

But that's how I like it!
Wonderful assessment (+1). Illustrates who two people can look at the same thing and come to different conclusions.

Sounds like you are very happy where you live. Congrats!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Wonderful assessment (+1). Illustrates who two people can look at the same thing and come to different conclusions.

Sounds like you are very happy where you live. Congrats!
Thank you and yes, I am very happy here in northeast Texas.

I am not from this area, and at first I experienced some culture shock. That culture shock took about two full years to go away and it took me another year or so to really like where I live. Now I LOVE it. Honestly, though I like many other parts of the US (and the world for that matter), and could be happy in all sorts of places, I am very thankful and appreciative for where I live now, and I will probably live here for many more years to come - maybe for the rest of my life.

And that's fine with me.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM

196 posts, read 146,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
hotter but more manageable
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Hotter but more comfortable overall, at least for me and my family.
It is true that high humidity conditions can make a place feel hotter than it really is during summer- that is what heat index accounts for, and why they can be quite a bit higher than the actual temp in Houston during summer.

HOWEVER, what has been established with HARD DATA is that EVEN WITH the humidity factor accounted for, the average heat indices for Houston still is LESS than that of Phoenix's. Ergo, even with dry heat, the sheer temps of Phoenix during summer is still enough for it to feel hotter than Houston during summer.

And average summer lows in Phoenix are over 80F. It can still above 90F, even near 100F, even before the sun comes up. So much for "cooling off at night."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or