U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2016, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
Reputation: 1742

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
It is true that high humidity conditions can make a place feel hotter than it really is during summer- that is what heat index accounts for, and why they can be quite a bit higher than the actual temp in Houston during summer.

HOWEVER, what has been established with HARD DATA is that EVEN WITH the humidity factor accounted for, the average heat indices for Houston still is LESS than that of Phoenix's. Ergo, even with dry heat, the sheer temps of Phoenix during summer is still enough for it to feel hotter than Houston during summer.

And average summer lows in Phoenix are over 80F. It can still above 90F, even near 100F, even before the sun comes up. So much for "cooling off at night."
you are right, hard data proved that PHX is 3 degrees hotter with the humidity factor.3 degrees, man that's a HUGE amount of difference lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2016, 02:33 PM
 
196 posts, read 146,543 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
you are right, hard data proved that PHX is 3 degrees hotter with the humidity factor.3 degrees, man that's a HUGE amount of difference lol.
Nope, check again at the hard date in LAX2MIA5's post, it is more than 3F difference.

Here is the actual source:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

^Phoenix clearly takes the lead in having the hottest heat indices of major cities in the US. And it doesn't cool off at night; average lows are above 80F, and temps can be near 100F even before the sun rises.

Last edited by Yac; 02-25-2016 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
Reputation: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
Nope, check again at the hard date in LAX2MIA5's post, it is more than 3F difference.

Here is the actual source:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

^Phoenix clearly takes the lead in having the hottest heat indices of major cities in the US. And it doesn't cool off at night; average lows are above 80F, and temps can be near 100F even before the sun rises.
lol you have to calculate in order to....get..the actual....oh nvm I don't know why I engaged again, not worth the energy. Case closed you think Phoenix feels more unpleasant in the summer and I think Houston is more unpleasant. There's a reason why you live in the humid south and I live in the dry west.

Last edited by Yac; 02-25-2016 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 04:13 PM
 
196 posts, read 146,543 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
lol you have to calculate in order to....get..the actual....oh nvm I don't know why I engaged again, not worth the energy. Case closed you think Phoenix feels more unpleasant in the summer and I think Houston is more unpleasant. There's a reason why you live in the humid south and I live in the dry west.
The heat indices are already shown on that link as they are after calculations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Seattle
6,946 posts, read 9,042,776 times
Reputation: 3783
Numbers don't show everything before you experience it. I have been in Baltimore in June in 90 degree weather when I was going to die. I have also been in the east part of Washington state (which is a desert) where the temperature in the summer is 105 which feels hot, but much more tolerable because the air is very dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 04:24 PM
 
196 posts, read 146,543 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Numbers don't show everything before you experience it. I have been in Baltimore in June in 90 degree weather when I was going to die. I have also been in the east part of Washington state (which is a desert) where the temperature in the summer is 105 which feels hot, but much more tolerable because the air is very dry.
Mind over matter, you are letting the humidity boogie-man haunt you. There are no monsters under the bed.

Get that in your mind, and you will find that even with humidity, a 90F in Baltimore doesn't even come close to 105F in Eastern Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 07:44 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 988,142 times
Reputation: 327
Lol
At these guys saying humidity is in the mind. Are you serious? I had three severe het injuries because of humidity.
It's hellish weather.

I lived in Chicago for ten years and DC for 19. The weather channel warns people to stay where it's cool or inside when those heat indexes hit 100.

I don't see those warnings in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 07:51 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 988,142 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
Mind over matter, you are letting the humidity boogie-man haunt you. There are no monsters under the bed.

Get that in your mind, and you will find that even with humidity, a 90F in Baltimore doesn't even come close to 105F in Eastern Washington.
I was walking in Baltimore a few years ago around 90..it's insufferable I don't care what you say.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A WATER BOTTLE ON YOU in those humid cities at 88 degrees or so..
that's not the case with dry heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM
 
196 posts, read 146,543 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Lol
At these guys saying humidity is in the mind. Are you serious? I had three severe het injuries because of humidity.
It's hellish weather.

I lived in Chicago for ten years and DC for 19. The weather channel warns people to stay where it's cool or inside when those heat indexes hit 100.

I don't see those warnings in California
But you will in Phoenix's dry heat (and California in the inland desert areas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
I was walking in Baltimore a few years ago around 90..it's insufferable I don't care what you say.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A WATER BOTTLE ON YOU in those humid cities at 88 degrees or so..
that's not the case with dry heat.
Water bottles are an even greater demand in dry heat, lest you shrivel up, and bake to a crisp, dying of dehydration. Such effects aren't so severe in humid heat.

Another thing with humid heat is that it prevents moisture from being sapped from the body, unlike dry heat; thus, skin remains moister, and the people can look younger, and more luscious (especially the women, if you know what I mean).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
Reputation: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
But you will in Phoenix's dry heat (and California in the inland desert areas).



Water bottles are an even greater demand in dry heat, lest you shrivel up, and bake to a crisp, dying of dehydration. Such effects aren't so severe in humid heat.

Another thing with humid heat is that it prevents moisture from being sapped from the body, unlike dry heat; thus, skin remains moister, and the people can look younger, and more luscious (especially the women, if you know what I mean).
Nope, but humidity causes a risk of heat stroke, heat exhaustion, bacteria growing(including in the lungs), frizzy hair, and dilated blood vessels. Lower humidity makes the heat feel more bearable, because humid weather prevents the evaporation of sweat and the cooling for our bodies that sweat evaporation provides. So, in a place with 60 percent humidity, 90 degrees feels to the body like 115 degrees thus leading to these incidences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top