U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:51 AM

18,438 posts, read 9,548,793 times

Advertisements

I voted Minneapolis. It's freezing cold in the winter and still gets humidity to make summer's unpleasant. Seattle might be the next worst on your list with too much cloudy drippy weather. I also think northeast cities like boston suck as far as climate as well and Houston is too hot and humid in the summer. Phoenix climate I like and Sand Diego is the best in the USA and San Fran also pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
I would replace San Diego with Washington DC.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
My vote goes to Great Lakes Region , North East , Houston area.
So you prefer much colder in the winter and much hotter in the summer (Plains) to these two regions?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,128 times
How is Oklahoma City not winning this? Cold and hot temps might be unpleasant but they tend not to be life threatening as long as you use commen sense and dress appropriately. Oklahoma City must take the cake for most violent weather in the U.S. be it F5 tornadoes, bad ice storms, very violent thunderstorms with large hail and high winds, bad flooding, bad droughts, ect.....

Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 PM

134 posts, read 508,564 times
I've always found that while Seattle is cloudy, rainy, and dreary that it's a bit overrated in its weather. My opinion is that cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo have way worse overall weather.

Average Annual Sunshine
Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

Pittsburgh 45%
Seattle 47%
Buffalo 48%
Cleveland 49%

Most Rainy Days
http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...est-cities.php

Buffalo 167
Cleveland 155
Pittsburgh 151
Seattle 149

Just based on sunshine and rainy days alone, both Pittsburgh and Buffalo are worse and Cleveland is tied with Seattle.

Pittsburgh and Buffalo (1st place + 3rd place each) = 4 points
Cleveland and Seattle (2nd place + 4th place each) = 6 points

Then you have to factor in that in the winter Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh are all much colder and receive way more snow than Seattle does.

In the summer Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cleveland are all much more hot and humid than Seattle.

Cities such as Minneapolis and Chicago are very cold and snowy, but on average don't receive the amount of snow as those three and receive way more sunshine, so they fall back a little when including all the elements.

Basically in my opinion when factoring in all the elements: heat, humidity, cold, snow, rain, and lack of sunshine, the three major cities with the worst overall weather are those three. Oddly enough with exception of blizzards, those are three of the safest cities when it comes to natural disasters.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
SF is like heaven for me, weather-wise, but I voted other (too many to mention, but honorable mentions include New Orleans for heat/humidity and Columbus, OH for terrible winters with cold rain and no consistent snow, with uncomfortable summers to boot, but spring/fall rock).

Cleveland is worse than Mpls in my opinion but that's because I love winter sports and they can't be played in 95% of U.S. cities outside of Mpls and maybe Boston and Detroit (Maybe). I still like Cleveland more than Columbus because summer is comfy enough AND I like all of the snow that falls during winter (and it's not as cold as MSP, even though that cold makes winter sporting possible).

P.S. I expect Minneapolis to lose, but in my experience it's far from the worst.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
upstate NY has much worse weather. It also snows a lot more.
This. I was going to recommend Syracuse for this honor. 100+ inch winter average of snow and plenty of summer heat.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:15 PM

6,944 posts, read 9,040,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister brewski View Post
I've always found that while Seattle is cloudy, rainy, and dreary that it's a bit overrated in its weather. My opinion is that cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo have way worse overall weather.

Average Annual Sunshine
Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

Pittsburgh 45%
Seattle 47%
Buffalo 48%
Cleveland 49%

Most Rainy Days
United States' Rainiest Cities - Current Results

Buffalo 167
Cleveland 155
Pittsburgh 151
Seattle 149

Just based on sunshine and rainy days alone, both Pittsburgh and Buffalo are worse and Cleveland is tied with Seattle.

Pittsburgh and Buffalo (1st place + 3rd place each) = 4 points
Cleveland and Seattle (2nd place + 4th place each) = 6 points

Then you have to factor in that in the winter Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh are all much colder and receive way more snow than Seattle does.

In the summer Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cleveland are all much more hot and humid than Seattle.

Cities such as Minneapolis and Chicago are very cold and snowy, but on average don't receive the amount of snow as those three and receive way more sunshine, so they fall back a little when including all the elements.

Basically in my opinion when factoring in all the elements: heat, humidity, cold, snow, rain, and lack of sunshine, the three major cities with the worst overall weather are those three. Oddly enough with exception of blizzards, those are three of the safest cities when it comes to natural disasters.
You know people like to exaggerate a lot. Seattle has never had "9 months of cold drizzle". It gets that in November, December and January. First part of October, April, May and June get plenty of sunshine each year and September is one of the nicest months.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:36 PM

42 posts, read 50,411 times
Really surprised that San Diego got a vote? Weather might be "boring" but it's definitely far from being bad, much less the "worst" weather.

For this list, I voted Minneapolis, blizzards, subzero highs and tornadoes in the span of a few months, not a good feel. Phoenix gets honorable mention because I can't even imagine 90+ degree nights. Added humidity from monsoon season must make it brutal.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,037,129 times
Of course I am opposite of most everyone else, I love MSP weather, Hate PHX and HOU weather.OKC I don't really know much about, how can anyone hate San Diego weather...even a winter weather nut like me likes to vacation there a few weeks a year...it's near perfect!
OH and why isn't Orlando an option..it's hot and oppressively humid 9 months a year, and dry and mild like only 3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or