U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 04:15 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,706,962 times

Advertisements

Dry heat vs. Humid heat!

^This thread pretty much sums it all up. It is a dry heat vs humidity thread that I found on CD. I think it's pretty clear which one people prefer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 04:18 PM

32 posts, read 20,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Dry heat vs. Humid heat!

^This thread pretty much sums it all up. It is a dry heat vs humidity thread that I found on CD. I think it's pretty clear which one people prefer....
90 degrees dry vs 90 degrees humid, I'm sure many people will prefer dry. However when it's 105 dry versus 90 humid, it's not very clear what people prefer.

Remember Houston is not Phoenix with more humidity, it also averages 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer than Phoenix.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:22 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,572,195 times
Caribbean,Thailand Philippines southeast asia are all very humid but have tons of people that want to visit them. I love those spring and summer storms in the south , you get high humidity and warm temperatures creating highs amounts of warm and moist air rising into the atmosphere and bringing those evening thunderstorms. I agree that those environments are not for everyone, you also end up in the hurricane belt in alot of southern states and the caribbean

Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,706,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA4 View Post
90 degrees dry vs 90 degrees humid, I'm sure many people will prefer dry. However when it's 105 dry versus 90 humid, it's not very clear what people prefer.

Remember Houston is not Phoenix with more humidity, it also averages 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer than Phoenix.
105 phx and las vegas(both have the same weather basically) is the same as 93 in Houston feel/miserability wise. I personally would chose the 105, but I absolutely hate humidity so again this is subjective. I was in new orleans this summer(similar summer weather to Houston I would assume) and it was 92 however I would have paid 1,000 dollars to be in PHX where it was 105 in a heartbeat or LA where it was 97(yes we had a hot summer in LA).

Also who is talking about Phoenix, that conversation is long past we are now talking about the fact that some people on here are under some odd notion that people prefer humidity.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,658,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA4 View Post

This is extremely important.

I looked up Houston's weather patterns. Average high in Houston is 94 degrees with 75% humidity in August. June in Houston is 91 degrees and 74% humidity.

Phoenix's weather patterns in contrast: August; average 104 degrees with ~50% humidity, June; 110s with 19% humidity.

So when it's 104 degrees with 50% humidity give or take versus roughly 94 degrees and 75%, that's when it's a more valid comparison given it's the averages for the same month. You cannot compare them at the same degree level because it doesn't work that way. Humidity naturally brings temperatures down.

Or 115 and 19% versus 91 and 74%... Junes for both places.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
105 phx and las vegas(both have the same weather basically) is the same as 93 in Houston feel/miserability wise. I personally would chose the 105, but I absolutely hate humidity so again this is subjective. I was in new orleans this summer(similar summer weather to Houston I would assume) and it was 92 however I would have paid 1,000 dollars to be in PHX where it was 105 in a heartbeat or LA where it was 97(yes we had a hot summer in LA).

Also who is talking about Phoenix, that conversation is long past we are now talking about the fact that some people on here are under some odd notion that people prefer humidity.
Some people do prefer humidity. This thread as well as the one you linked to clearly proves it.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 992,088 times
Just cause people visit a place doesn't mean they like/prefer humidity.
There's many reasons why people go on vacations to a specific place.

I've lived in humid places. A person would be looked as crazy if they commented "I love this muggy heat"

It just didn't happen. A lot of people complained.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:36 PM

196 posts, read 147,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
That maybe so but in what countries do they go crazy over humid climates?
Many Asian and African countries. Many Latin American nations also do the same as well. In the Anglosphere, only Australia seems to have people that go crazy over humid climates.

The disdain for humid climates largely seems to be a Eurocentric phenomenon.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 992,088 times
Can you prove that? Or are you just saying that because people live there? That doesn't mean they go crazy for it or even like it.
Chicago has awful weather most of the year, yet has 10 million people.

The fact that American's love California's weather is likely because 80% of them or so live in humid climates. If humidity was actually better, you wouldn't hear Americans pumping up California's weather.

People put up with humidity because they have to. I've RARELY come across anyone who enjoys that weather.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:05 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,572,195 times
I love rain and the afternoon evening thunderstorms in the south , its that high humidity and warm temperatures that brings those evening thunderstorms and the rainfall. you have a enormous amount of americans moving to humid and warm climates. I personally dont see the argument here between California, Arizona, and the South, they are all great climates in my opinion and where americans are moving and retiring to. I actually like alot of oregons and washingtons climate as well,very popular choices for people moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or