U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Actually, one of our top reasons to move to Philly was to get away from Houston's weather.
That is not really the norm by any means for migration patterns, the texas triangle and many metros in the sunbelt has been the fastest growing cities int the country for some time now. You can put in the rates on the rental calculator on u haul or united, it is double to rent a uhaul from Dc or Philly to houston and three times to move from chicago to houston then it would be to rent a truck to move away from houston to any of these places.

u haul and united have to pay someone to drive those trucks back to the places people want to move from so they have enough trucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:00 AM

1,687 posts, read 988,466 times
Most people moving to the south are from the north/other humid climates.
They might move because they're fed up with the cold winters. But it's also col/jobs.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:04 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
People are moving to the south because it's cheaper. Coastal California is the most expensive area of the United states. Look at the median home value of sf, SD and la. Only Manhattan and Honolulu compete with it. Outside of NYC. It Is the most desirable location in the u.s. easily.

People can't afford California. If it had the same of the col of the South it would have have another 30:million, at least.
Alot of its job opportunities as well, cost of living only helps if you have a good paying job. there are a ton retirees moving to the south and southwest as welll, I am sure weather has alot to do with it. it did with my dad for instance, he loves the beaches and sailing and the golfing in the south, some of the prettiest beaches in the world, warm water and sailing to the caribbean is hard to beat.

I love both places but for sailing and boating the the south and the atlantic is alot better than the pacific coast in my opinion, I love californias weather though and its hard to beat californias growing season as well. you can grow just about anything

Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 AM

32 posts, read 20,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I love both places but for sailing and boating the the south and the atlantic is alot better than the pacific coast in my opinion, I love californias weather though and its hard to beat californias growing season as well. you can grow just about anything
Except anything tropical will simply die even in Southern California. Outside soil temperature stays cool for too long.

While South Florida is only a tiny percent of the south, it has the most diverse range of flora and fauna other than Hawaii in the USA. Plenty of citrus and tropical plant varieties grow here in a year-round growing season.

If it wasn't for the fact that South Florida is

A)Tiny
B)One part federally protected wetland
C)Second part suburban sprawl

It would definitely be the agriculture basket of the USA.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Alot of its job opportunities as well, cost of living only helps if you have a good paying job. there are a ton retirees moving to the south and southwest as welll, I am sure weather has alot to do with it. it did with my dad for instance, he loves the beaches and sailing and the golfing in the south, some of the prettiest beaches in the world, warm water and sailing to the caribbean is hard to beat.

But the vast majority of people moving to the south are moving from other humid places. They're just places with harsher winters. .

It doesn't make sense to say Americans prefer humidity because more people live in those climates. ..

Most of our cities (jobs) are in humid areas. That's true for the world too.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:56 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
That is not really the norm by any means for migration patterns, the texas triangle and many metros in the sunbelt has been the fastest growing cities int the country for some time now. You can put in the rates on the rental calculator on u haul or united, it is double to rent a uhaul from Dc or Philly to houston and three times to move from chicago to houston then it would be to rent a truck to move away from houston to any of these places.

u haul and united have to pay someone to drive those trucks back to the places people want to move from so they have enough trucks
Where exactly in my post did I suggest our choice is the norm? Since moving, however, we have met 4 other people who happily relocated from Houston to Philly. So, our migration choice is not an entirely anomalous one.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:59 PM

196 posts, read 146,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA4 View Post
Except anything tropical will simply die even in Southern California. Outside soil temperature stays cool for too long.

While South Florida is only a tiny percent of the south, it has the most diverse range of flora and fauna other than Hawaii in the USA. Plenty of citrus and tropical plant varieties grow here in a year-round growing season.

If it wasn't for the fact that South Florida is

A)Tiny
B)One part federally protected wetland
C)Second part suburban sprawl

It would definitely be the agriculture basket of the USA.
In terms of soil temperature, the entire coastal South, from SC down to Florida, and west to Texas, has a 365 day growing season. In the region, although freezes can occur during winter, the duration often is not very long; only for a handful of hours at most, and in the wee hours of the day when everyone is asleep. Then, by afternoon, temps can go right up to upper 50s, 60s, and even 70s. This ensures that ground temperature stays quite warm even when the air outside is cold, and thus many types of plants and agriculture can still continue growing even after frost/freeze happens. Thus, you see that many coastal South cities can still end up yielding banana, citrus, and sugar cane crops.

Because the ground remains warm, biological activity still persists even after the freeze; the ecosystem never goes dormant. Thus, all throughout winter in the coastal South, you will hear cricket chirping, bird song, and see lizards, and other small animals going about. This is why the South has many types of native evergreen flora (live oaks, magnolias, etc), despite the occurrence of freezes at times; the overall environment remains too warm for dormancy.

And yes, if Florida was larger, it would be the agricultural basket of the US; humid subtropical/tropical climates feed more people on Earth than any other climate type. China and India can attest to this.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:01 PM

196 posts, read 146,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Where exactly in my post did I suggest our choice is the norm? Since moving, however, we have met 4 other people who happily relocated from Houston to Philly. So, our migration choice is not an entirely anomalous one.
4 other people relocating north vs millions who made the opposite move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
People are moving to the south because it's cheaper. Coastal California is the most expensive area of the United states. Look at the median home value of sf, SD and la. Only Manhattan and Honolulu compete with it. Outside of NYC. It Is the most desirable location in the u.s. easily.

People can't afford California. If it had the same of the col of the South it would have have another 30:million, at least.
Florida real estate prices are very expensive as well. And although they are associated with low COL, the urban cores in large southern cities like Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Atlanta aren't all that cheap either.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Florida col is nothing like California. At all. Compare the house values. Compton and Inglewood roughly have same median sale value as ft laurerdale.

People in California would consider the south a bargain.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:30 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
4 other people relocating north vs millions who made the opposite move.
Those are just the people I know, so there have to be plenty more I don't. Regardless, my point is that even though there is a river of people moving from the north to the south, there remains a trickle of us returning. And in our case, we are more than pleased to be back in the land of all four glorious seasons!

(My pics)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or