U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:34 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Florida col is nothing like California. At all. Compare the house values. Compton and Inglewood roughly have same median sale value as ft laurerdale.

People in California would consider the south a bargain.
Those housing prices in coastal California in southern California and the bay area and losing the alot of the middle class and working class is not a positive sign for the future. California is basically a one party state now with alot of ultra rich people in the bay area and parts of coastal California and a massive underclass in the interior and alot of the state, tons of wealthy people in the bay area and coasts and also 1/3 of the nations welfare recipients. California needs better leadership than jerry brown

California has grown welfare while Texas has grown jobs, and soft tyranny is to blame | The Daily Caller

joel kotkin writes about in California exodus The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ

"Nearly four million more people have left the Golden State in the last two decades than have come from other states. This is a sharp reversal from the 1980s, when 100,000 more Americans were settling in California each year than were leaving. According to Mr. Kotkin, most of those leaving are between the ages of 5 and 14 or 34 to 45. In other words, young families.

As the population has not dropped, the demographic movement is imports of large numbers of unskilled, uneducated, poor immigrants both legal and illegal that need more and more and produce less in economic output. That create generational underclasses of poverty."

this is from a very good writer from California , another thing he writes about about California has lost so much of the aerospace industry Review

"Those who had stopped the building of more unnatural dams—a green movement birthed among the opulence of Northern California that sought exemption from the ramifications of its own ideology—now wanted infrastructure to store the water necessary for its own dreams of replenishing salmon in the rivers.

The impact of these policies has been enormous. The agricultural heart of the state has dried up, the middle-class has fled to more favorable tax environments, and new, mostly illegal immigrants—who come in droves due to the open borders policies of the state’s elites—find fewer and fewer opportunities to rise out of their condition. However, the elites are mostly ensconced in affluent corridors and immune to the negative effects of their ideas."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 04:38 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Those are just the people I know, so there have to be plenty more I don't. Regardless, my point is that even though there is a river of people moving from the north to the south, there remains a trickle of us returning. And in our case, we are more than pleased to be back in the land of all four glorious seasons!

(My pics)
I knocked your post off , those are nice pics. philly and mid Atlantic actually doesn't have a really bad winter at all in my opinion, this winter had some big snowstorms in DC but it usually isnt more 15-20 inches a year, we got that and more in the blizzard though this year

Old 02-20-2016, 04:54 PM

196 posts, read 146,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Those are just the people I know, so there have to be plenty more I don't. Regardless, my point is that even though there is a river of people moving from the north to the south, there remains a trickle of us returning. And in our case, we are more than pleased to be back in the land of all four glorious seasons!

(My pics)
Why stop at Philly for that, when you can go to places like Boston, or other parts of New England that have even more defined four-seasons?

By Koppen Classification, even Philadelphia is considered humid subtropical, the same climate zone Houston, and the coastal South is in (albeit on the colder end of that spectrum).

Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 PM

214 posts, read 193,421 times
People from the Midwest exaggerate how bad the weather is. Denver gets more snow on average the Minneapolis.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:58 PM

3,058 posts, read 1,797,496 times
San Jose. It's so boring with no excitement of thunderstorms/snow or extreme temps.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:11 PM

1,687 posts, read 988,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Those housing prices in coastal California in southern California and the bay area and losing the alot of the middle class and working class is not a positive sign for the future. California is basically a one party state now with alot of ultra rich people in the bay area and parts of coastal California and a massive underclass in the interior and alot of the state, tons of wealthy people in the bay area and coasts and also 1/3 of the nations welfare recipients. California needs better leadership than jerry brown

California has grown welfare while Texas has grown jobs, and soft tyranny is to blame | The Daily Caller

joel kotkin writes about in California exodus The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ

"Nearly four million more people have left the Golden State in the last two decades than have come from other states. This is a sharp reversal from the 1980s, when 100,000 more Americans were settling in California each year than were leaving. According to Mr. Kotkin, most of those leaving are between the ages of 5 and 14 or 34 to 45. In other words, young families.

As the population has not dropped, the demographic movement is imports of large numbers of unskilled, uneducated, poor immigrants both legal and illegal that need more and more and produce less in economic output. That create generational underclasses of poverty."

this is from a very good writer from California , another thing he writes about about California has lost so much of the aerospace industry Review

"Those who had stopped the building of more unnatural dams—a green movement birthed among the opulence of Northern California that sought exemption from the ramifications of its own ideology—now wanted infrastructure to store the water necessary for its own dreams of replenishing salmon in the rivers.

The impact of these policies has been enormous. The agricultural heart of the state has dried up, the middle-class has fled to more favorable tax environments, and new, mostly illegal immigrants—who come in droves due to the open borders policies of the state’s elites—find fewer and fewer opportunities to rise out of their condition. However, the elites are mostly ensconced in affluent corridors and immune to the negative effects of their ideas."
Joel kotin doesn't have a lot of creditbility.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:12 PM

1,687 posts, read 988,466 times
It's quite simple why people have left. It's unaffordable. But it's unaffordable for a reason.

If it had the same col of the south, it'd be home to millions more. I know several people who would move here if it was cheaper.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:39 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,264,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
People from the Midwest exaggerate how bad the weather is. Denver gets more snow on average the Minneapolis.
Denver also routinely has 60 and 70 degree days in December, January and February. "Unseasonably warm" in Minneapolis is 40 degrees.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:20 PM

1,112 posts, read 694,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver also routinely has 60 and 70 degree days in December, January and February. "Unseasonably warm" in Minneapolis is 40 degrees.
But Denver has high diurnal ranges... either way more snow is more snow, though Minneapolis has a longer winter.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
It also gets more sun and warm days

I had a roommate when I was living in mpls who was transferred out from Denver. He had a new job before his wife even thought of moving out to get him back to Denver. Was just too much for him.

Denver winters aren't that bad, just very variable. You'll get everything any given day or week. Cold temps and big storms followed by summer 60 degree days.

Minneapolis is just cold, all the time. So much cooler than Denver.

I've wintered in both and would take a Denver winter 10 out of 10 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or