U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,335,844 times

Advertisements

I live in South Louisiana which is similar to Houston's climate and I MUCH prefer this over the frozen wasteland of the Upper Midwest/New England or the depressing cloudiness of the Pacific Northwest. And we have lush vegetation in contrast to the Southwest too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM

943 posts, read 415,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Which of the following cities has the worst overall weather for your tastes? Consider the part of the year you find most annoying and weigh it against the time of the year you found most pleasant.

A) Seattle: 9 months of cold overcast drizzle and almost no sun but pretty dry summers with lots of sunshine and comfortable temperatures. Never hot. Occasionally get snow but not every winter.

B) San Francisco: cold, foggy summers with no rain but lots of cold, damp overcast but very mild winters with some cold rainy days but also some sunny days that are actually warmer than their so-called summers. No seasonality whatsoever. Frostproof in winter despite its cold summers. Horrible for seasons lovers and those who enjoy real summers.

C) San Diego: Comfortably warm weather with lots of sunshine and stability but some people find it too boring. Frostproof. Occasional summer heat waves are usually dry heat.

D) Minneapolis: brutally cold winters with lots of snow and dangerous windchills but still gets way more winter sun than Seattle. Summers are warm and humid and severe weather with tornadoes are possible in spring

E) Oklahoma City: 4 seasons climate with very hot summers and variable winters (can be brutally cold but also has sunny, warm days). Right in the heart of tornado alley with risk of F4 and F5 tornadoes that can destroy entire towns (the tornado risk alone might be a reason for some people to vote for it).

F) Houston: pleasant but variable winters with mostly warm and mild weather with the occasional cold snap. VERY humid and sticky summers; highest average summer dewpoint of any city in the U.S.

G) Phoenix: EXTREMELY hot, hot summers but most of the time, it's with low humidity. When the monsoons come, the temperatures drop and it's never as humid as Houston. Very comfortable winters with lots of sunshine with crisp nights and warm days.

H) Pick your own city in the CONTINUOUS (no Alaskan cities allowed) U.S. and tell why.

I visited Seattle in August 2016 when I was 18. I visited San Francisco and Bay Area suburbs when I was little, when I was 17, and this spring when I was 19. I only visited San Diego as a small child, so I won't remember a thing. I probably visited Houston, but I actually stayed in San Antonio, TX. I visited Arizona during my middle school days, so I won't remember, but my brother told me he remembers visiting a part that has Phoenix climate.

To the OP, you are wrong about San Francisco, because the summers are warm and sunny, while winters are coldish and rainy. My mom grew up in the SF Bay Area and knows.

I'd say Oklahoma City and Minneapolis are equally the two worst climates. They both get tornadoes and four seasons. Minnesota had a brutal blizzard snowstorm this summer. It's even worse than any Nor'easter we usually get here in New jersey. I heard the driving during that MN snowstorm was super dangerous. Worse than a NJ Nor'easter.

From what I heard from many people, San Diego has perfect climate where it doesn't get too cold or too hot ever unless you have a rare heatwave. I don't remember San Diego, because I was little. From my memory, San Francisco has the best climate. I don't mind the winters slightly chilly. I could live in SF Bay Area if it weren't for the expensiveness and the overpopulation, but I'd prefer to live in Seattle area where the climate is mildly cold and summers are nice. I wouldn't mind excessive cloudiness.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 PM

4,946 posts, read 7,602,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post

To the OP, you are wrong about San Francisco, because the summers are warm and sunny, while winters are coldish and rainy. My mom grew up in the SF Bay Area and knows.

From what I heard from many people, San Diego has perfect climate where it doesn't get too cold or too hot ever unless you have a rare heatwave. I don't remember San Diego, because I was little.
Your mother either didn’t live in The City, San Francisco, wasn’t paying attention if she did, has glossed over memories or you have misinterpreted them because SF is notorious for being frequently, ridiculously cold in the middle of summer. You can be in the upper 90s in Healdsburg in August or some other inland Bay Area locale and head into The City and it can be in the 50s at night; the heat of the valley sucks the fog in and it envelopes the city in gloom. That is not to say it doesn’t have heat waves, they typically come in September or October as they do in San Diego and it is getting warmer there because of the changing climate, but I am certain it hasn’t changed that much since I lived in the Bay Area and my 100s of visits to The City.

It is utterly ridiculous to have San Diego in this list, and I am one of those who agrees the weather here is too boring and mild, but it sure is hell could never be considered the worst weather city by a long shot. I chuckle though as I noted in another post about the best summer weather cities and I described a women in a fur-lined parka with her hood up walking by our house a couple of days ago- it was 64, cool weather but not Maine in February which was what she was dressed for lol.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:15 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,616 times
Quote:
I'd say Oklahoma City and Minneapolis are equally the two worst climates. They both get tornadoes and four seasons. Minnesota had a brutal blizzard snowstorm this summer. It's even worse than any Nor'easter we usually get here in New jersey. I heard the driving during that MN snowstorm was super dangerous. Worse than a NJ Nor'easter.
There definitely has not been anything even remotely resembling a blizzard this summer in Minneapolis...

Old 06-26-2018, 11:45 PM

5,552 posts, read 3,704,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Your mother either didn’t live in The City, San Francisco, wasn’t paying attention if she did, has glossed over memories or you have misinterpreted them because SF is notorious for being frequently, ridiculously cold in the middle of summer. You can be in the upper 90s in Healdsburg in August or some other inland Bay Area locale and head into The City and it can be in the 50s at night; the heat of the valley sucks the fog in and it envelopes the city in gloom. That is not to say it doesn’t have heat waves, they typically come in September or October as they do in San Diego and it is getting warmer there because of the changing climate, but I am certain it hasn’t changed that much since I lived in the Bay Area and my 100s of visits to The City.

It is utterly ridiculous to have San Diego in this list, and I am one of those who agrees the weather here is too boring and mild, but it sure is hell could never be considered the worst weather city by a long shot. I chuckle though as I noted in another post about the best summer weather cities and I described a women in a fur-lined parka with her hood up walking by our house a couple of days ago- it was 64, cool weather but not Maine in February which was what she was dressed for lol.
I will have to second this post. SF in the summer is cool, to downright cold. (Not everyday, but enough days where you always know where your light coat is.). That said, SF usually has a beautiful fall and can be warm and sunny well into early November. The other thing about the SF area is the difference between the city and just a few miles inland during the summer. Sometimes the temp can rise 10-15 degrees just between SF and Oakland, and 20-25 degrees between SF and Contra Costa county further east.

San Diego is weather nirvana, but I can see how it could be considered boring for some. Variety is lacking there...and a lot of folks love that lack of variety!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:12 AM

21,328 posts, read 21,906,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Our "bad" weather here in the Twin Cities , so they say.

Personally, I'd say there are maybe a handful of days each year when I am truly disgusted by the weather.
while true, I don't entirely buy into the "keeps out the undesirables and the weak" slant on the Minnesota winters, at least insofar as the weak part. I mean, Mother Theresa was probably weak, but think she would have been a benefit to the state and could establish a shelter for other weakings, like people from New Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
There definitely has not been anything even remotely resembling a blizzard this summer in Minneapolis...
that cottonwood was pretty heavy for a couple days earlier this spring, perhaps that's what they saw and mistook it for snow.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,282,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The worst ones:

1. Phoenix for being hot and dry
2. Houston for just being nasty hot in the summer

OKC can get unbearably hot in the summer but what redeems it is that it has some awesome thunderstorm activity.
Houston gets more thunderstorms than OKC does during summer.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:49 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that cottonwood was pretty heavy for a couple days earlier this spring, perhaps that's what they saw and mistook it for snow.
Too true. I guess I am still picking cottonwood pollen out of the plants on my balcony...

Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 AM

1,914 posts, read 962,322 times
Quote:

I'm sure there are warm and sunny days in the summer in SF, but I've made short visits to there in June, July and August and had to wear a jacket every time. A lot of our childhood memories are idealized and not accurate.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:04 AM

760 posts, read 590,159 times
Minneapolis gets extreme weather, but it's not the norm. I would say more than half of the year is pleasant light jacket weather. Spring and Fall are great times of year.

Houston on the other hand is just brutally hot and humid most of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or