U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,282,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
That is related to the weather. Building subdivisions and shopping centers on land that was once a bayou or water drainage area have increased the flooding risk in that area. You remove areas that store water and replace it with impervious surfaces that increase runoff. That factor along with the risk of tropical systems and even your more typical heavy rain events, in general, leads to a very high-flood-risk.
Again, what you are posting indicates that poor design is the true issue, not the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:58 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Houston- horrid climate, low latitude (torrid sun angle), heat, humidity, low elevation, and extreme rainfall events.
Minneapolis has one of the more well defined four season climate of any on the list, but it is too warm for my personal preferences with too much wind.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:18 PM

24 posts, read 7,093 times
Houston is pretty bad (if you hate heat) for 6 months of the year. But Miami is worse, heat there lasts at least 8 if not 9 months. Houston also has more of a winter to counterbalance the heat than Miami does.

I voted for Minneapolis though, as much as I hate extreme heat, extreme cold is far worse.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,514,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Houston- horrid climate, low latitude (torrid sun angle), heat, humidity, low elevation, and extreme rainfall events.
Minneapolis has one of the more well defined four season climate of any on the list.
This

Milwaukee isn't much different from Minneapolis so I'm quite comfortable here.

Houston is my nightmare.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
This

Milwaukee isn't much different from Minneapolis so I'm quite comfortable here.

Houston is my nightmare.
Milwaukee is milder more often than not compared to Minneapolis in the Summer due to proximity to Lake Michigan. Minneapolis can often get hotter due to air masses moving in from southwest of it.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTownie View Post
Houston is pretty bad (if you hate heat) for 6 months of the year. But Miami is worse, heat there lasts at least 8 if not 9 months. Houston also has more of a winter to counterbalance the heat than Miami does.

I voted for Minneapolis though, as much as I hate extreme heat, extreme cold is far worse.
Houston has no winter, it has a milder season with snow being an extreme rarity. Minneapolis isn't that cold at all compared to the Northwoods of northern MN and WI.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 7,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Houston has no winter, it has a milder season with snow being an extreme rarity. Minneapolis isn't that cold at all compared to the Northwoods of northern MN and WI.
Snow is not that rare in Houston, it happens every other year. It's not the kind of snow that usually accumulates but it falls, and Houston can get some cold blasts. I actually lived in Houston for 1 year, and Minneapolis for 1 year. I don't like extreme heat, but the heat is easier to deal with than the cold Minneapolis gets.

I was bringing up Houston in the context of Miami though. It seems we should replace Houston with Miami. Now, I'd still take Miami in a heartbeat over Minneapolis when just talking about the weather - but if you're a heat/sun hater, Miami is far worse than Houston. I also lived in Miami for about 3 years.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTownie View Post
Snow is not that rare in Houston, it happens every other year. It's not the kind of snow that usually accumulates but it falls, and Houston can get some cold blasts. I actually lived in Houston for 1 year, and Minneapolis for 1 year. I don't like extreme heat, but the heat is easier to deal with than the cold Minneapolis gets.

I was bringing up Houston in the context of Miami though. It seems we should replace Houston with Miami. Now, I'd still take Miami in a heartbeat over Minneapolis when just talking about the weather - but if you're a heat/sun hater, Miami is far worse than Houston. I also lived in Miami for about 3 years.
I would take a job in another country if my only two options were Miami and Houston based on climate alone.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:37 AM

8,811 posts, read 4,726,240 times
Any City that gets more than 25 inches of a snow a year and average winter temps are below 40 has blah weather for me

Any City with average 40 degree temps and maybe a few weeks at 32 degrees is okay. A city that gets very little snow and ice during the winter. Maybe 1 or 2 tornadoes a year. Usually spared of hurricanes and earthquakes. Average summer temp of 80 to 100. With dry or humid weather in the Summer. Average fall temp usually 40 to 80. Then that's my kind of City!

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-02-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 10:40 AM

9,029 posts, read 4,123,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
OKC, a place that couldn't be any more assaulted by the elements. Yet somehow, it has less votes than Houston and Phoenix.

LMFAO.
OKC is pretty much the worst place to live in North America, period. The weather is a big part of that. There is absolutely no positive attributes to the climate here.

The reason it probably has less votes is because it's a small, out of the way metro that most people on here have probably never been to. Houston and Phoenix on the other hand are much more well known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or