U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:39 PM

10,827 posts, read 9,450,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Houston has no winter, it has a milder season with snow being an extreme rarity. Minneapolis isn't that cold at all compared to the Northwoods of northern MN and WI.
About the only good thing about Minny is that it has heated skywalks and a large indoor mall and an indoor stadium and very powerful heating systems. Sometimes the heating systems down south are not powerful enough when we get arctic blasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
Buffalo, New York not on that list???????

Not all of Alaska is completely frozen. Juneau has warmer winters than many cities in the Upper Midwest and New England and upstate NY. Anchorage's winters I hear are only marginally worse than Minneapolis or Chicago.

outside the frozen wastelands of Buffalo, Minneapolis, and Chicago I'd say the worst weather is Seattle with its constant cloudiness and drizzle. Some people dislike the weather of the Deep South but I honestly don't mind the summers here in South Louisiana. Perfect for tubing on the river, taking a dip in the pool, going to the beach in nearby states.

Even in the middle July I wouldn't mind walking 15 minutes outdoors. I would NEVER walk even 3 minutes outdoors in below freezing weather if I could help it. The absolute coldest cities I could live in would be Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,288,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Which of the following cities has the worst overall weather
OKC

nuff said

Old 08-16-2018, 10:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,199,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Even in the middle July I wouldn't mind walking 15 minutes outdoors. I would NEVER walk even 3 minutes outdoors in below freezing weather if I could help it. The absolute coldest cities I could live in would be Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.
Why? Do you not own clothing?

Old 08-17-2018, 12:07 PM

651 posts, read 245,064 times
I'm a cold-weather fan and hate long, hot summers with excess humidity, so Houston got my vote on this list. Honorable mention goes to New Orleans and most of the Florida metros (specifically anywhere from Orlando southward). The hurricane risk doesn't help much for those areas, either.

Next would be OKC; the massive tornado threats make it pretty close to being the worst.

Phoenix sounds awful, but it's mostly dry heat, and you can escape it easily by driving a couple of hours to higher elevations. Can't say the same for the aforementioned cities.

Last edited by BrianGC; 08-17-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM

9,098 posts, read 4,146,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
OKC

nuff said
I agree.

OKC is pretty much the worst city in North America. There really isn't much that it has going for it.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:38 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,267,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Buffalo, New York not on that list???????

Not all of Alaska is completely frozen. Juneau has warmer winters than many cities in the Upper Midwest and New England and upstate NY. Anchorage's winters I hear are only marginally worse than Minneapolis or Chicago.

outside the frozen wastelands of Buffalo, Minneapolis, and Chicago I'd say the worst weather is Seattle with its constant cloudiness and drizzle. Some people dislike the weather of the Deep South but I honestly don't mind the summers here in South Louisiana. Perfect for tubing on the river, taking a dip in the pool, going to the beach in nearby states.

Buffalo has four seasons; it's not winter all year long there although they do get a nice winter with plenty of snow. They get warm summers that often reach over 80F and yes, there are plenty of places to swim or go to the beach.

Minneapolis and Chicago have even warmer summers than Buffalo does. The weather is often quite sunny and it's very common for it to reach into the mid 80's. Minnesota and Chicago also have some beaches for swimming. Both have decent beaches but I am partial to Minnesota and the shores of Lake Superior.

Oh and Seattle actually gets less rain than many Northeastern cities and is quite dry in the Summer.

Why couldn't you walk outside when it was cold? No coat?!

Old 08-17-2018, 07:43 PM

21,367 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If I had those two options I'd probably move to another country. Seattle and Minnie are equally awful IMHO.

One has depressing weather 9 months of the year and the other needs heating 9 months of the year. My mood and skin would be tortured in either place.

did it ever get below 100 this year in Austin?

Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 PM

87,024 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The worst ones:

1. Phoenix for being hot and dry
2. Houston for just being nasty hot in the summer

OKC can get unbearably hot in the summer but what redeems it is that it has some awesome thunderstorm activity.

The best climates are not listed but of the ones on the list, Minneapolis has the best climate. Four definite seasons, even precipitation throughout the year, and hot weather doesn't last long.

Seattle isn't bad either other than being too dry in the summer and being a bit blah with too mild winters.
I have several multiquotes about OKC because my SIL lived there and liked it b/c it was sunny. She is from Maryland, so not averse to hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I hate hot weather. It’s 100 in Denver this week and I’m melting. Much prefer Seattle to any hot climate.
OK, June 28 was 105. I had some concerns this was going to be one hot summer! However, June 29 was 97, then June 30 was 76. July 3 was 99, July 7, 8, 10, 19 were 98, a few 97 days in July, but lately not so bad, most days in the 80s with a few low 90s.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/de...monyr=8/1/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Any City that gets more than 25 inches of a snow a year and average winter temps are below 40 has blah weather for me

Any City with average 40 degree temps and maybe a few weeks at 32 degrees is okay. A city that gets very little snow and ice during the winter. Maybe 1 or 2 tornadoes a year. Usually spared of hurricanes and earthquakes. Average summer temp of 80 to 100. With dry or humid weather in the Summer. Average fall temp usually 40 to 80. Then that's my kind of City!
You'd probably do OK in Denver. Some winters, more snow than you'd like, but the temps all winter are decent. All January days have an average high in the 40s, though of course, there are days that are colder. 3 days in January 2018 in the 60s. (See link above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
OKC is pretty much the worst place to live in North America, period. The weather is a big part of that. There is absolutely no positive attributes to the climate here.

The reason it probably has less votes is because it's a small, out of the way metro that most people on here have probably never been to. Houston and Phoenix on the other hand are much more well known.
Sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
That is a bold statement. I lived in OKC for a year many years ago and didn't think it was the "worst place to live in North America, period".

Instead, I found many sunny days, a four season climate (yes it did snow a couple of days), and the humidity was intermittent, not constant. I actually enjoyed the thunderstorms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I was surprised to find how high OKC was ranked on those tables that rank cities by the hours or days of sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It all depends on your preferences. 45 and rain in Seattle compared to 30 and sun in Denver is a matter of preference. I totally understand the sun preference, except that cold can turn into a snowstorm in an instant in Denver, while in Seattle that would be rare. A little of this, a little of that...weather variety is the spice of life. Which is better? Only in the eye of the beholder...
It doesn't happen that way here in Denver.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 1,221,083 times
What gets you in OKC are the extreme temperature swings during the winter months, not necessarily the lack of sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or