U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.47%
San Francisco 9 2.46%
San Diego 7 1.91%
Minneapolis 101 27.60%
Oklahoma City 50 13.66%
Houston 72 19.67%
Phoenix 54 14.75%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.48%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 PM

6,981 posts, read 9,077,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
When I think of "harsh" winter weather, I think of snowstorms, ice storms, blizzards, sleet, dense fog, things that actually impact travel and commerce.
Then you are different from the majority of people. Temperature is very important too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:59 PM

6,872 posts, read 7,828,899 times
A year in Houston:

March - Good grief, are we already having 80 degree days? We went from the 60s to the 80s seemingly overnight. Where is spring? I'd love to be outside, but there is all this yellow pollen covering everything that won't let me breathe without an inhaler.

April - Since the humidity has matched the temps, I'm sweating through my T shirts. Better go to the beach for a refreshing swim now before the water reaches 85 degrees as well. Eating outside in the evening is nice . . . as long as I have citronella candles to chase away the mosquitoes.

May - It's heeeeer! Hot and humid days, so I'm taking the show indoors. I'm afraid of my AC bill.

June - I was right to be afraid of my AC bill. And now it's going to get worse. Sure looks inviting outside. Wish I could enjoy being out there but "sweat-fest" is in full force. At least we have cable to entertain us. And all the bugs have come inside to keep us company.

July - OMG - I just returned from the store! The car seat was soooo hot when I got back in and sat on it. Ouch - so was the steering wheel! Hope the ice cream doesn't melt before I get home.

August - When is this going to end? 95 degrees and unbearable humidity!!! Please don't make me cut the grass, honey! I'm a sticky mess after being outside only 5 minutes. And my AC bill!!

September - I'm so depressed. I just talked to my friends up north who are enjoying football under a crisp sun at 70 degrees. I went to the game yesterday, but no way was I going to tailgate. Get me inside that domed stadium ASAP! Even the evenings are still sticky.

October - It's supposed to be cool, right? The leaves are supposed to turn colors, right? The sun is supposed to stop beating down on me, right? Then why is it still in the 90's? I'd give anything to wear a light-weight jacket. And what's with all this ragweed - thank goodness for my inhaler!

November - What a relief it is! It's so nice to finally be able to go outside again. Too bad daylight saving time is over and it's dark when I get home from work.

December - Let's turn up the AC so we can light a fire and get in the holiday spirit!!! "In the meadow we can build a snowman" . . . well, we can sing about it.

January - Why is it so dark, damp, cool and rainy?

February - Hey, it's nice outside! Too bad this month only has 28 days. Maybe I can make a deal with my higher power: "I'll do anything if you can keep March from rolling around again."

Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 PM

102 posts, read 72,199 times
https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...a-20140130#/20

Weather Channel: Syracuse had one of 5 worst winters in America | syracuse.com

Farmers' Almanac names Syracuse 'worst winter weather city' | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WSTM

Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 699,666 times
Voted SF but barely... I don't like an eternal spring. Seattle would be next because of all that rain, but at least they go from January to May (for where I live). SF is always in March or April (and not even all of those months).

Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,081,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
When I think of "harsh" winter weather, I think of snowstorms, ice storms, blizzards, sleet, dense fog, things that actually impact travel and commerce. We get maybe one or two days an entire winter where weather conditions are truly that bad. For the rest of the winter, it's dry and completely uneventful (and yes, sometimes we have cold snaps, but several thaws, too).

How often does the East Coast get huge storms that dump enormous amounts of snow and cripple or even completely shut down cities this time of year? Now the polar vortex is assaulting Boswash. It seems like winter is far more of a pain out there than it is here, but people who have never been here can't seem to get past the "Oh god, it's 5F in Minneapolis! They're all going to die!" hysteria.
Don't worry about defending...some people are just that insecure.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 PM

18,661 posts, read 27,123,201 times
Actually meant to vote for OKC but my mouse was in the wrong position and voted for Minneapolis. So that's really 33 for MSP and 16 for OKC. Surprised they aren't higher.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 PM

18,661 posts, read 27,123,201 times
Houston is mostly pleasant in April. It's tolerable in May and ok in June. July, August (Especially), and early-mid September is at it's peak and it becomes a wet sauna. August is usually the peak for Houston. October is like a mixture of May and April. November is very nice and December-March are not even remotely bad unless you like actual winter weather events besides the seldom cold snap.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,665,912 times
I knew Phoenix would be on this thread so I came here feeling the need to defend it but to my surprise it's not winning the poll... Minneapolis? Is it the cold weather?

I saw a post on my Facebook feed the other day... Something that Arizonans love to do is share how great Arizona is here in the winter but will become dead silent about it in the summer... Lol. But I saw one of these posts... Here in Tucson it was 85 degrees, and then it showed Minneapolis with a -13 (including wind chill). I can't imagine Minneapolis being so terrible. I heard their summers are amazing. In a way, Minneapolis is an anti-thesis of Phoenix (Twin Cities are cold and humid, Phoenix is hot and dry) so I wonder what it's like there. I can't imagine it being the U.S. city with the worst weather... I think Barrow, Alaska would be worse.

I personally would rather be somewhere colder. Even 85 degrees starts to become too much for me (I like the 60s), and it's only mid-February so I dread what's coming up REAL soon. I looked up Houston's weather on Wikipedia and the summer shows low 90s with ~75% humidity. This might be too much for me so I voted Houston, though OKC sounds like an honorable mention according to what everyone else has said. I actually prefer a hybrid between the extremes... I enjoy Arizona when it's low 100s and ~50% humidity (but this is only August)... but again I would like something colder.

I'm just going to point out that two people actually voted for San Diego...

Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 PM

1,450 posts, read 880,028 times
Minneapolis, the coldest one! Seattle, the worst summer.
San Diego would be the best one

Old 02-15-2016, 10:57 PM

375 posts, read 266,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPower View Post
I'd go with Minn... Cold environments are just no way to live. As far as the Phoenix haters, this is how we deal with the WORST part of our year...
Oh my god, that looks super horrible! (sarcasm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or