Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.42%
San Francisco 10 2.72%
San Diego 7 1.90%
Minneapolis 102 27.72%
Oklahoma City 50 13.59%
Houston 72 19.57%
Phoenix 54 14.67%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.41%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:04 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
How does Phoenix have the worst weather? It only has hot weather 3-4 months of the year, the rest of the year it has great weather. To add on the humidity in Phoenix is slim to none so even if it is 112 in the summer that is still not as miserable as 92 in Houston...trust me I've been to Houston in the summer and it is MUCH worse than Phoenix, I felt like I was in a steam room.
My theory is that on City Data introverts and shut ins (I think that is the term) are more represented than in the average population and they at least claim to prefer the more harsh cold and mentally draining environments. People vacation in Arizona for nothing more than the weather, right? Do people vacation in Minnesota just to enjoy the lack of vitamin D and brutal temperatures? Those people are few and far in between. In Canada we don't get tourists coming here in winter for the weather so tourism drops off very much so from October to April and then booms from June to August when tourists find the weather tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I love the twin cities, but the weather is pretty harsh.

I thought I was OK with winter and I knew winter being from upstate NY, I just knew snow. While not as snowy, that cold was brutal and it would get dark so early.

Summer wasn't great times either. Very humid, tons of mosquitoes and bugs and it can get pretty warm in stretches (line when I was married to there and it was in the mid 90s all week and our church had no AC)

They are built to handle the cold, but you just kind of suffer through the heat waves. Spring was actually pretty nice while it lasts and fall the same. However, summer kind of stinks after such a harsh winter.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:47 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I love the twin cities, but the weather is pretty harsh.

I thought I was OK with winter and I knew winter being from upstate NY, I just knew snow. While not as snowy, that cold was brutal and it would get dark so early.

Summer wasn't great times either. Very humid, tons of mosquitoes and bugs and it can get pretty warm in stretches (line when I was married to there and it was in the mid 90s all week and our church had no AC)

They are built to handle the cold, but you just kind of suffer through the heat waves. Spring was actually pretty nice while it lasts and fall the same. However, summer kind of stinks after such a harsh winter.

Many cities like Minneapolis have a the disposition of being in a horrible location that makes for bad weather.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
WizardOfRadical shares his fascinating insights with us yet again. Please, tell us more.

I would, but you don't answer DM apparently.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I would, but you don't answer DM apparently.
I don't answer inane direct messages from people who annoy me. Sorry.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:39 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA5 View Post
I think if I lived in Minnesota I would want a hot hot summer to balance out the cold cold winter. Kind of the like the spa where you alternate between the cool pool (50-60ish) for a couple minutes, and then rest in the jacuzzi set at a warm 104.
Ick! No way, people in the Twin Cities love our pleasant summers. On the occasion highs exceed 90ºF, most people are miserable. That kind of weather is repugnant, and thankfully we don't get a lot of it.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I don't answer inane direct messages from people who annoy me. Sorry.
LOL!!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
My theory is that on City Data introverts and shut ins (I think that is the term) are more represented than in the average population and they at least claim to prefer the more harsh cold and mentally draining environments.
You theory doesn't apply to me. I spend more time outdoors in Philly's winters that I ever did in 26 years of Houston's long, hot and sultry summers. And yes, my husband and I were among those frolicking in the recent blizzard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jF5nAQYBg

Old 02-16-2016, 09:44 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Some people just can't believe that others can actually have fun in colder climates. I completely understand why hot is preferred to cold for most people, but don't understand why people can't contemplate what a city has to offer if it's "too cold".

Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
I think it's funny, that they forget about the 8 or 9 very awesome months we have every year. They like to think that it's cold year-around, which is actually pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.