Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.42%
San Francisco 10 2.72%
San Diego 7 1.90%
Minneapolis 102 27.72%
Oklahoma City 50 13.59%
Houston 72 19.57%
Phoenix 54 14.67%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.41%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 AM

371 posts, read 538,771 times

Advertisements

Houston is not very pleasant but maybe a couple months a year. Especially this year, we barely got any spring or winter... it was just humidity. Houston will always get my vote for worst weather. Too bad afros can not stay in style forever, as it would make it easier to have "nice hair" in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:32 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,130,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
You know people like to exaggerate a lot. Seattle has never had "9 months of cold drizzle". It gets that in November, December and January. First part of October, April, May and June get plenty of sunshine each year and September is one of the nicest months.
There's two extremes to the spectrum: Seattle isn't 9 months of cold drizzle just like it's not a super sunny and warm place. It's pretty gloomy -- that's hard to deny, try as some might -- but also pretty mild.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:58 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,059,390 times
It's more like half and half depending on the year. Seattle is sunny 47% of the year and dry 90% of the total annual hours (it rains 800 hours a year).

Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,137,357 times
For someone who lived in Houston for 1 year, I don't get all the votes for Houston. I'm fairly sure most people who are voting for it have never been there, or at least never experienced the other cities on the list, cough cough Minneapolis.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 AM

325 posts, read 253,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Which of the following cities has the worst overall weather for your tastes? Consider the part of the year you find most annoying and weigh it against the time of the year you found most pleasant.
Terrible list - with the exception of Minneapolis. Almost every city on your list has moderate winters that will not kill you or abjectly destroy your quality of life, and 100 Million+ Americans have moved to these and similar locations for that very reason (your inclusion of San Diego was especially laughable). I think you need to spend a bit more time traveling before posting.

That being said, I always thought St. Louis has uniquely awful weather - the extremities of continental climate and the occasional threat of flood.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,494,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
For someone who lived in Houston for 1 year, I don't get all the votes for Houston. I'm fairly sure most people who are voting for it have never been there, or at least never experienced the other cities on the list, cough cough Minneapolis.
Been there quite a bit, along with New Orleans, Orlando, and so forth - in the summer it's absolutely intolerable to me and (obviously, see above) many other people. I don't mind winter at all (cough cough I live in Wisconsin), but oppressive heat is the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Terrible list - with the exception of Minneapolis. Almost every city on your list has moderate winters that will not kill you or abjectly destroy your quality of life, and 100 Million+ Americans have moved to these and similar locations for that very reason (your inclusion of San Diego was especially laughable). I think you need to spend a bit more time traveling before posting.
With only 10 votes for the one cold-weather city and the rest (around 40) for the hot-weather cities, it's obvious that the majority disagree with you. 4 times as many people say the extreme heat bothers them more than the extreme cold.

90s and humid every day for months absolutely "destroys my quality of life," as I like being outdoors and any sort of activity at that temperature is miserable for me (and a lot of other people). In winter, I bundle up and life goes on.

There are more people living with snowy winters in this country than consistently hot areas, so I'm not sure what your 100+ million Americans statement was supposed to prove

Agreed on San Diego, but I think it was thoughtfully put in there so people who dislike "boring weather" would have a place to cast their votes. Though for me, while I like seasons and all, room temperature sunshine most of the year decidedly does not sound like the "worst overall weather."

Old 05-27-2015, 11:37 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,137,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There are more people living with snowy winters in this country than consistently hot areas, so I'm not sure what your 100+ million Americans statement was supposed to prove
There is a massive relocation going on in the USA from cold weather states to warm weather states. Places like Minneapolis have trouble attracting people even though they have a healthy economy and the city is fairly 'nice.' Places like Florida attract too many people despite having a poor economy.

Just recently Florida overtook New York state as the third largest state in the USA. Its growth is primarily driven by people from midwestern states, Wisconsin being one of them, and northeastern states, New York State being one of them.

Now the 3 largest states in the USA are

1)California
2)Texas
3)Florida

Old 05-27-2015, 11:41 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,494,391 times
Sure, due to jobs/economy. Decades ago, southerners moved north. We're talking about weather here, not economy. There will be another northern or eastern migration before we die. You can already see issues developing out west, and nowhere in the country treats the "common worker" worse than the south.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,343,726 times
I'm not a heat or a heat and humidity-loving person, so my vote was either for Phoenix or Houston. As Phoenix's only saving grace was its aridity, I voted Houston.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:46 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,929,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Sure, due to jobs/economy. Decades ago, southerners moved north. We're talking about weather here, not economy. There will be another northern or eastern migration before we die. You can already see issues developing out west, and nowhere in the country treats the "common worker" worse than the south.
Workers' rights in the whole country seem pretty awful to be honest. We rank much closer to China than to Canada on workers' rights, if that's telling of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.