Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.42%
San Francisco 10 2.72%
San Diego 7 1.90%
Minneapolis 102 27.72%
Oklahoma City 50 13.59%
Houston 72 19.57%
Phoenix 54 14.67%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.41%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:47 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Minneapolis gets extreme weather, but it's not the norm. I would say more than half of the year is pleasant light jacket weather. Spring and Fall are great times of year.

Houston on the other hand is just brutally hot and humid most of the year.
Wow, those 80F Octobers and 70F Novembers in Houston, so brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 12:43 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,465,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Your mother either didn’t live in The City, San Francisco, wasn’t paying attention if she did, has glossed over memories or you have misinterpreted them because SF is notorious for being frequently, ridiculously cold in the middle of summer. You can be in the upper 90°s in Healdsburg in August or some other inland Bay Area locale and head into The City and it can be in the 50°s at night; the heat of the valley sucks the fog in and it envelopes the city in gloom. That is not to say it doesn’t have heat waves, they typically come in September or October as they do in San Diego and it is getting warmer there because of the changing climate, but I am certain it hasn’t changed that much since I lived in the Bay Area and my 100s of visits to The City.

It is utterly ridiculous to have San Diego in this list, and I am one of those who agrees the weather here is too boring and mild, but it sure is hell could never be considered the worst weather city by a long shot. I chuckle though as I noted in another post about the best summer weather cities and I described a women in a fur-lined parka with her hood up walking by our house a couple of days ago- it was 64°, cool weather but not Maine in February which was what she was dressed for lol.

My mom visited The City, San Francisco many weekends during her childhood. The place was freezing cold in the winter if you were close to the bay. I went there in March and took a ferry to Alcatraz Island and the ride was damn cold feeling the Bay blowing its wind!

I am the opposite of you. I think perfect climate like San Diego's means a good quality of life. I wouldn't consider it to be boring, but it depends on the person usually.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:53 PM

3,551 posts, read 3,017,291 times
So, no one counts this among the "worst weather" impacts?

Quote:

As of September 5, 2017, Hurricane Harvey damaged 203,000 homes, of which 12,700 were destroyed. There were 738,000 people who registered for assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The agency has paid $378 million to them. Immediately after the storm, it delivered 80 tractor-trailer loads of emergency supplies. These included cots, blankets, and meals.

Federal forces rescued 10,000 people who were trapped in their homes or on flooded highways. A flotilla of private boats rescued an unknown number of additional victims. The Houston Police Department's Dive Team rescued 3,000 people in four days. Houston police officer Austin Huckabee said he and four other officers saved 40 people in the first 24 hours.

There were 37,000 people in shelters in Texas and 2,000 in Louisiana. Almost 7,000 people were in the George R. Brown Convention Center, where 1,700 received medical treatment.
https://www.thebalance.com/hurricane...-costs-4150087

So it's a little cold in Minneapolis, but thousands of people don't get their homes destroyed by Tropical Storms, hurricanes, and just plain bad weather. How about other weather effects - humidity, rot, mildew, subsidence, insects, etc? Harvey may have been "the worst" but it wasn't the first by a long shot. And it won't be the last.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
So, no one counts this among the "worst weather" impacts?

https://www.thebalance.com/hurricane...-costs-4150087
Quote:
So it's a little cold in Minneapolis, but thousands of people don't get their homes destroyed by Tropical Storms, hurricanes, and just plain bad weather.
Quote:
Harvey may have been "the worst" but it wasn't the first by a long shot. And it won't be the last.
Nope, that storm was too epic and exciting. Totally up for an encore.

Besides, the weather is just a scapegoat. The true cause for losses during these storms comes from poor decision-making of some form or another: driving on the highway when you should be staying put, building homes where they shouldn't have been built, general unchecked sprawl, laughing off the weathermen as hypebeasts rather than actually making preparations, etc.

Quote:
How about other weather effects - humidity, rot, mildew, subsidence, insects, etc?
Land subsidence has nothing to do with weather. Humidity is water, the liquid of life. Rot and mildew are minor issues, while insects help pollinate the plants.

It's all good.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Wow, those 80F Octobers and 70F Novembers in Houston, so brutal.
At a very low latitude, the sun angle with those temperatures is brutal in Houston. Anything south of 40 degrees north latitude in the US is too far south in my book.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:32 PM

296 posts, read 315,854 times
Minneapolis easily. Snow and cold from Nov-April, 1 month of spring if they're lucky. There's a reason this place is full of Midwesterners and Canadians when October rolls around.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:44 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,444,157 times
It’s Houston or Minneapolis for me. Hate heat and humidity more than anything. I much prefer the cold. Problem with Minneapolis is that it gets both hot humid days and bitter cold. I still think I prefer that to houston’s summers. Houston also gets hurricanes so I voted Houston.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
At a very low latitude, the sun angle with those temperatures is brutal in Houston. Anything south of 40 degrees north latitude in the US is too far south in my book.
Even late fall and winter?

Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 PM

OKC, a place that couldn't be any more assaulted by the elements. Yet somehow, it has less votes than Houston and Phoenix.

LMFAO.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Denver has nice weather. It has extremes but they don't last as long as Minneapolis or Chicago.
I was out at the pool about an hour ago, said it was 93, I thought it was 80. Just no humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.