U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:32 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
B, Bu, But...it's in the South! How can this be possible?
This is a typical misconception about all areas in the South and ties to my previous comment about sweeping generalizations.

That said, there are definitely key areas in the South that are prospering and growing and their citizens' educational attainment is a strong indicator.

Below are the NC Triangle's four largest municipalities and some comments about the relationship of 25-34 rates vs. adult rates in general. The cities are listed from largest to smallest:

Raleigh: 50.7% Rate is slightly higher than all adults between 25 and 64. Raleigh's rates are generally high and consistent until retirement age where it drops off significantly.
Durham: 54.1% Rate gap is a slightly wider than Raleigh's between the young and the rest of the adults between 25 and 64. Like Raleigh, the rate drops significantly once past 64.
Cary: 59.4% Unlike Raleigh and Durham, the adult population is significantly more educated after 34 years of age. The rate of the age group 35-44 is nearly 71% and even the 45-64 group is higher at 64.6%. With Cary being primarily a huge suburban community for families, this doesn't surprise me.
Chapel Hill: 73.6% Chapel Hill is like Raleigh in that the rates are similar across all adult age groups until retirement age but even the retired are highly educated. Like Cary, the rates for adults between 35-44 are the highest. Chapel Hill is a college town primarily so high rates are not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
It's a tale of two Souths.

Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia all have rapidly-growing cities that are rapidly attracting young professionals rapidly as well. On the other hand, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama have slower-growing cities that aren't attracting young professionals quite as rapidly. In the "East South Central" states, Nashville is the lone standout in that regard, while the "Southeastern" states have Washington DC, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville, Charleston and Atlanta.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 AM

29,957 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia all have rapidly-growing cities that are rapidly attracting young professionals rapidly as well. On the other hand, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama have slower-growing cities that aren't attracting young professionals quite as rapidly. In the "East South Central" states, Nashville is the lone standout in that regard, while the "Southeastern" states have Washington DC, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville, Charleston and Atlanta.
For a smaller city, I think you could throw in Huntsville also. I think Louisville is worth a mention also.

Asheville really doesn't belong in that latter list. It doesn't have the job base necessary to attract lots of young professionals; many who move there out of their love for the place wind up working multiple menial service jobs to make ends meet.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 AM

28,284 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I can see that but how would you explain somewhere like Chicago? It has a pretty massive Latino immigrant population as well but is still much more educated overall than those cities.
Chicago is not as Hispanic as those cities.

Los Angeles - 1,859,792 (48.6%)
Houston - 931,154 (43.6%)
Chicago - 775,748 (28.7%)
Dallas - 512,077 (41.9%)

Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,862,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea Detroit is looking really rough these days. Unfortunately it seems like things are going to get worse for Detroit before they get better.

Maybe but there are investors who are buying.
Chinese Investors Snap Up Property in Bankrupt Detroit - NBC News

Old 05-30-2015, 09:44 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,843,815 times
I always thought Madison, WI was very high. There was an old saying that went something like: If you get into a taxi in Madison, the driver probably has a PhD.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I can see that but how would you explain somewhere like Chicago? It has a pretty massive Latino immigrant population as well but is still much more educated overall than those cities.
Denver as well. (31.5% Hispanic)

Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
I hope everyone understands that the reason Washington is so high is not because they have such a great school system, but that all the jobs there require a degree and that's where people with degrees move to. To a lesser extent, that is probably partially true for the other cities, too.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:11 PM

29,957 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
He doesn't offend my guilt because I am not guilty of making statements about an ethnic group of people that can be interpreted as sweeping generalizations.
But it's generally true though; it's not a racist or offensive statement and there are valid reasons as to why it's the case.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,293,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Nobody in DC would consider the area southeastern, so it is not part of the group. It is part of the northeastern boshwash corridor, and almost everybody in the area considers the area mid-atlantic, but without question NOT SOUTHERN. Call it southern to somebody in DC and prepare for an epic rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or