U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,125,465 times

Advertisements

Well American culture in general is in every city in the states & the places with the most are California & New york
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,476,987 times
I think it is more interesting to know which city is currently producing, changing, fueling to the American culture as opposed to which cities have done it (in the past). Often left out from the LA, NYC, Chicago area is the SF/Bay area. The silicon valley has totally changed current culture over the past 2 decades from things like google/facebook/youtube/etc. Do you think tech culture is actual American culture or a general global culture?

Old 05-29-2015, 10:26 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,606,412 times
Imo the cultural capital is which ever city has the biggest impact on national media / entertainment which probably leans more towards NYC. However any major urban city will have it's own sub culture that affects it's region too. If the city is basically just a suburban amalgamate with a downtown office park then it's culture will be dominated by TV / movies / news etc from NYC / LA.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,023,787 times
Whatever else you may think of NYC it is far and away the cultural capital of the US.
In music (unparalleled opera, chamber music, serious music, etc). Unrivaled,
In art (the art capital of the world)
In dance. Unrivaled
In architecture
In fashion and design
In publishing
In theater. Unrivaled.
In education (2nd to Boston)

Last edited by ABQSunseeker; 05-29-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 01:06 PM

10,426 posts, read 12,427,921 times
1.New York City
2.Los Angeles
3.Chicago/San Francisco

Old 05-29-2015, 04:24 PM

And for NYC also:
Museums. The Metropolitan, the Guggenheim, the Frick, The Whitney, the Modern, the Natural History.
Only DC rivals or surpasses NYC.

I wonder just how serious this question is to begin with. Chicago???
In the world NYC has only one competitor: London. Paris has fallen to a distant third these days.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,486,883 times
One artist’s perspective:

What I like about Los Angeles is that it allows everyone to live his or her own lifestyle. Drive around the hills and you find a Moorish castle next to a Swiss chalet sitting beside a house shaped like a UFO. There is a lot of creative energy in Los Angeles not channelled into the film business. Florence and Venice have great surface beauty, but as cities they feel like museums, whereas for me Los Angeles is the city in America with the most substance, even if it’s raw, uncouth and sometimes quite bizarre. Wherever you look is an immense depth, a tumult that resonates with me. New York is more concerned with finance than anything else. It doesn’t create culture, only consumes it; most of what you find in New York comes from elsewhere. Things actually get done in Los Angeles. Look beyond the glitz and glamour of Hollywood and a wild excitement of intense dreams opens up; it has more horizons than any other place. There is a great deal of industry in the city and a real working class; I also appreciate the vibrant presence of the Mexicans. In the last half century every significant cultural and technical trend has emerged from California, including the Free Speech Movement and the acceptance of gays and lesbians as an integral part of a dignified society, computers and the Internet, and—thanks to Hollywood—the collective dreams of the entire world. A fascinating density of things exists there like nowhere else in the world.

http://www.fsgworkinprogress.com/201...d-l-a-culture/

Old 05-29-2015, 05:46 PM

While I like LA and agree with some of your observations, I find it bizarre that you think NYC consumes rather than creates culture. Some of the greatest artists, painters, writers, and creative talents in history have made NYC home and CREATED culture. LA is curiously concentrated in one area, fantasy making in the movie business.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:54 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,486,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
While I like LA and agree with some of your observations, I find it bizarre that you think NYC consumes rather than creates culture. Some of the greatest artists, painters, writers, and creative talents in history have made NYC home and CREATED culture. LA is curiously concentrated in one area, fantasy making in the movie business.

That's not me, that's Herr Herzog. Werner Herzog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And he's hardly alone. I left New York for LA because creativity requires the freedom to fail | Moby | Comment is free | The Guardian

And no, they are not all working in film.

Five facts about professional artists in the United States - The Washington Post

http://arts.gov/sites/default/files/...nWorkforce.pdf

Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,125,465 times
What culture are we eluding to is the question ?

Fashion is a clear tossup, Los Angeles is the shopping mall capital & rodeo Drive vs 5th Ave is about as even as it get.

Food is another toss up,Chicago & N.y has the pizza,L.A the burgers
Buisness is N.y
Manufacturering is Los Angeles via the L.A/Long beach port
Finance is N.y
Theater is N.y
Films & Movies is L.A
Recorded music & videos is L.A
Ethnic Diversity is another tossup
Getting around the city is a tossup cause its a Subway city vs a Freeway city
Street culture is L.A with it's nationwide impact on American gangs
Hip hop culture is Atlanta today
Art is N.y
Sports is a tossup between Boston, L.A,Chicago, N.y
Adult industry is Los Angeles
Entertainment is Los Angeles
Latin culture is big in Miami, Los Angeles, N.y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or