U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2015, 01:29 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Reputation: 10919

Advertisements

I would say I-80 as well. Culturally places like Des Moines, Iowa City over to Chicago are more similar with areas to the north like Minnesota and Wisconsin than they are with Missouri or southern Illinois, Indiana...

As you get south of I-80 it quickly transitions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2015, 01:36 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Reputation: 10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I have never heard of La Crosse in my life, or Dubuque, if they are sparsely populated towns, who honestly cares? A highway won't be perfect, but I think the 90 does the best job. The 80 includes too much of a the lower midwest into the fold.

.
Dubuque, Iowa is a very hilly river city of tall bluffs with around 100,000 in the area along the Mississippi and LaCrosse, Wisconsin is maybe 125,000 people further up stream. I guess the point was just that they're south of I-90 but would be very upper Midwestern in character and culture. A highway isn't going to be perfect of course.

If you had to choose a highway, I would agree with others that I-80 is logical...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 PM
 
3,960 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Reputation: 6361
Guys I think no matter how it's argued there will never be a concrete and undeniable dividing line between the two. You will always find exceptions to any rule. Just like when you walk across the Ohio River from Kentucky to Indiana you're not magically and undeniably in the North vs. the South or viceversa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I have never heard of La Crosse in my life, or Dubuque, if they are sparsely populated towns, who honestly cares? A highway won't be perfect, but I think the 90 does the best job. The 80 includes too much of a the lower midwest into the fold.

Now the 90 goes through Madison, so it's technically "upper midwest" by the definition. Sioux Falls, who cares. To me the Dakotas are not the midwest but doesn't the 90 run through Sioux Falls, so it's a "transition" zone?

Edit: I see that the 90 passes slightly north of Madison. Oh well, close enough.
Remind me to never play horseshoes or hand grenades with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You're safe. Upper midwest is de rigueur here. So much so that you get about a post a day claiming that it is the only one, true midwest, and that the lower midwest is really southern and the great plains are just the ugly part of the west.

In reality no one outside of these 12 states cares, differentiates or would ever really think about it.
I have never seen a single person claiming the Upper Midwest is in any way superior to the Lower Midwest. What the hell are you talking about? Links, or you're just making it up.

I LIVE "in one of these 12 states," and we absolutely differentiate between our northwoods and the flat farmlands south of the border...and the Plains. They are more different to where I grew up than the New England states, for example. New Hampshire reminds me more of home than Rapid City or Carbondale, and frankly, it isn't even close.

Where exactly do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I have never seen a single person claiming the Upper Midwest is in any way superior to the Lower Midwest. What the hell are you talking about? Links, or you're just making it up.

I LIVE "in one of these 12 states," and we absolutely differentiate between our northwoods and the flat farmlands south of the border...and the Plains. They are more different to where I grew up than the New England states, for example. New Hampshire reminds me more of home than Rapid City or Carbondale, and frankly, it isn't even close.

Where exactly do you live?
One thing I will comment on: this "rebranding," as it were, of the extreme Upper Midwest as "the North" is odd and a bit irksome, as if suddenly there is a specific region that wants to differentiate itself from the rest of the Midwest. I'd wager that if you asked most U.S. citizens what "the North" is, you'd get some vague answer related to the Civil War free/slave state definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
One thing I will comment on: this "rebranding," as it were, of the extreme Upper Midwest as "the North" is odd and a bit irksome, as if suddenly there is a specific region that wants to differentiate itself from the rest of the Midwest. I'd wager that if you asked most U.S. citizens what "the North" is, you'd get some vague answer related to the Civil War free/slave state definition.
Who, specifically, is "re-branding the extreme Upper Midwest as 'the North?'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Who, specifically, is "re-branding the extreme Upper Midwest as 'the North?'"
Not you--don't get me wrong. I just though it was apropos to your discussion of the differentiations among the Upper Midwest. You commonly hear Minneapolis and "The North" in conjunction with one another; e.g. "Minneapolis is the capital of the North." I'm all for (logically) subdividing the Midwest, but I don't see/get the "the North" moniker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Not you--don't get me wrong. I just though it was apropos to your discussion of the differentiations among the Upper Midwest. You commonly hear Minneapolis and "The North" in conjunction with one another; e.g. "Minneapolis is the capital of the North." I'm all for (logically) subdividing the Midwest, but I don't see/get the "the North" moniker.
Gotcha. I do, though, think it's logical to make distinctions when...they're distinctive. Midwest, to me, is the northwoods (MN/WI/MI), the Plains (SD/ND/NE/KS), and the rest (IA/MO/IL/IN/OH), in terms of breaking the states down without separation within them. It's no different than breaking out the Southeast in terms of Atlantic vs Gulf vs interior, or however you'd want to do it; or making a distinction between New England and the rest of the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Ohio, USA
1,085 posts, read 1,346,370 times
Reputation: 970
Upper Midwest: Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa

Lower Midwest: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri

Great Plains: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top