U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:27 PM

240 posts, read 117,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I generally agree but (if we are only going to have upper and lower with no middle category) I would put the Northern parts of Ohio, Indiana (especially NW IND) and Illinois in the upper Midwest. I would also put Southern Iowa in the lower Midwest.
Really! I consider Chicago, Cleveland, and even Detroit are lower Midwest (although I feel the rest of MI is upper and Detroit is debatable). I really consider the Upper Midwest to only be most of MI, WI, and MN. Obviously, that is a huge area, but it is three states. To me, the border is around Detroit (or Toledo), drops down to Fort Wayne, and then goes back up to Milwaukee, then Madison, and drops down to Des Moines through central IA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:05 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,579 times
Yep, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Toledo, Fort Wayne and Des Moines are all in the border area, and exhibit traits of both regions!

Old 01-30-2018, 08:35 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,501,359 times
Meh, I prefer Great Lakes or Plains states.

And yes, I'm sitting here typing this from the Upper Midwest in Milwaukee .

I also grew up in the Toledo area and I always considered it the Upper Midwest.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:13 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,604,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Really! I consider Chicago, Cleveland, and even Detroit are lower Midwest (although I feel the rest of MI is upper and Detroit is debatable). I really consider the Upper Midwest to only be most of MI, WI, and MN. Obviously, that is a huge area, but it is three states. To me, the border is around Detroit (or Toledo), drops down to Fort Wayne, and then goes back up to Milwaukee, then Madison, and drops down to Des Moines through central IA.
Most of my family lives in Chicago. When they travel to Wisconsin they feel they are in the same region. When they go to Southern Illinois they say it is like going to the South...it feels completely different to them.

I think the accents are a good dividing line between the upper and lower Midwest. Once you get into the Midlands sounding accents you are in the lower Midwest. Anything with a great lakes influenced accent...which would definitely include Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo etc you are in the Upper Midwest. That's a general rule with a few exceptions such as St Louis which sounds more upper Midwest but obviously isn't.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:43 PM

240 posts, read 117,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Most of my family lives in Chicago. When they travel to Wisconsin they feel they are in the same region. When they go to Southern Illinois they say it is like going to the South...it feels completely different to them.

I think the accents are a good dividing line between the upper and lower Midwest. Once you get into the Midlands sounding accents you are in the lower Midwest. Anything with a great lakes influenced accent...which would definitely include Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo etc you are in the Upper Midwest. That's a general rule with a few exceptions such as St Louis which sounds more upper Midwest but obviously isn't.
Yeah, accents are a good point. I just have never associated Chicago with the North Woods feel of the Upper Midwest. I donít associate it with, say, Southern Illinois, but I definitely do not see it as part of the North Woods. This makes a good case for Chicago being a border city (along with a Cleveland, Toledo, Indianapolis, etc). I do feel that there is more to the Lower Midwest than the southern accent/influence. It has to do with topography, weather, develpment, and vegetation. It also has to do with history and demographics. In that sense, I see Chicago, Cleveland, Toledo, etc more aligned with the Lower Midwest/Central midwest (if thatís a thing????)

Old 01-30-2018, 05:11 PM

4,266 posts, read 5,473,848 times
For the most part, I-80, except for (the lion's share of) Iowa, which is strongly aligned with the cornbelt, which is lower Midwest (Columbus, Indianapolis, Champaign, Peoria, Springfield, Des Moines, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or