U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,516 times

Advertisements

Desert_SW_77, like you I live in ABQ. I also lived in Phoenix/Scottsdale just before and liked it very much. There is really lots more to do than ABQ, but that's because the metro area is 5 times bigger.

I loved the desert climate, the blooming all year round of much greenery and flowers, the palms, and cacti. The milder winters, the better restaurants (except we have one of best dining places in the country near at hand--Santa Fe), the busier airport with better choices of flights, the endless shopping choices.

But think carefully. The summers there are brutal. I thought I liked the heat, but summers were endless and very difficult to adapt to. Tolerance for them gets worse, not better.
And the smog in winter, the longer drive out to wilderness, the rush hour traffic, the politics.

Not an easy choice. I, for one, am happier in ABQ

Old 05-29-2015, 08:37 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,218,128 times
Hot and Dry

That is all

Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,854,091 times
I love phoenix for all the outdoor adventures offered, dining choices and shopping. Also, its great that you can drive 2 hours north and cool off from the heat, plus amazing beautiful views in AZ. I think Pheonix deserves much more positive recognition.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:50 PM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
And the CD bashing of Phoenix continues..

What is the Western United States' 4th City? [Phoenix, Denver, San Diego]

People seem to have the impression that Phoenix is an audacious place to live. Just sheer audacity, that it even exists. I'm not going to apologize, I enjoy living in the desert.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,593,436 times
Never lived there and I will readily admit my perceptions are based upon just a couple of long weekend trips there in winter with some great friends who split their time between here (San Diego) and there, but I will say at least for those brief experiences, my perception of Phoenix was way more positive than I was expecting.

It is the epitome of sprawl, I mean, come on, anyone who says otherwise is just fooling themselves. But, like every city, I think that generally there is only about 20% (at best) of any city that represents its best parts- those areas that, at least for us urbanites- has enough density and walkablilty to not feel completely like you are lost without a car and can experience at least some parts of the city successfully without one. Where our friend's house was, had that, even if I'm sure it represented just a tiny slice of the city. I'm not sure what you call this area- uptown?, north central? But it is a couple of blocks from N. 16th and E. Bethany Home, right near The Vig Uptown (a couple of blocks away) and The Biltmore just across the freeway.

That area was very cool, somewhat walkable, a nice mix of residential architecture and some historic areas close by. Visiting nearby PV and Scottsdale is fun, although I do find most of that area, at least adjacent major roads to be developed to within an inch of its existence; a little too perfect, planned and pristine for my tastes- and developed exclusively for cars except for a few blocks of Old Town Scottsdale. Still, the surrounding mountains and landscape, at least in winter is stunning and actually quite awe inspiring when you get out and hike it a bit.

I don't think I could ever live there (I hate the heat) but there are at least a few specific areas that do represent that nice slice of a great vibe and some urbanity even within the sweeping mass of suburbia that defines almost all the city. And the surrounding topography and landscape is beautiful in its purely desert starkness.

Last edited by T. Damon; 06-18-2015 at 11:35 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,506,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
And the CD bashing of Phoenix continues..

What is the Western United States' 4th City? [Phoenix, Denver, San Diego]

People seem to have the impression that Phoenix is an audacious place to live. Just sheer audacity, that it even exists. I'm not going to apologize, I enjoy living in the desert.
It's beyond ridiculous.

Keep in mind the main antagonist in that thread is a transplant from Jacksonville & Atlanta, now a newly minted and firmly entrenched self-anointed 'coastal elitist' in San Francisco. The exact type that many natives claim is ruining the Bay Area.

The total ignorance and the misperceptions/misrepresentations of Phoenix here are just amazing to me.

And it's pretty obvious most are simply regurgitating tired crap they have 'heard,' and have never been.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 AM

506 posts, read 338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It's beyond ridiculous.

Keep in mind the main antagonist in that thread is a transplant from Jacksonville & Atlanta, now a newly minted and firmly entrenched self-anointed 'coastal elitist' in San Francisco. The exact type that many natives claim is ruining the Bay Area.

The total ignorance and the misperceptions/misrepresentations of Phoenix here are just amazing to me.

And it's pretty obvious most are simply regurgitating tired crap they have 'heard,' and have never been.
Has Phoenix taken LA's place as most hated in C-D?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
For whatever reason Phoenix is one of the most misunderstood cities on here. For instance it is usually thrown up as the poster child for sprawl. I find this to be a myth. While I can't say that Phoenix is very urban (it is more urban than the eastern seaboard posters realize) it is no more or less sprawled than any other city. List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe link is a list for urban areas in the US. If you look you will find the Phoenician urban area is actually more dense than places like Boston and Philadelphia. I have heard people use MSA density to describe it and that is a sin. We all know MSA's are calculated based on county commuting patterns. Western states like Arizona have giant counties. Hence Maricopa county alone covers a land area greater than New Jersey. Only about 15% of it is actually developed. Using MSA in the case of Phoenix creates an inaccurate data set. I could go on, there are other misconceptions such as the water supply, which is actually the most stable in the southwest. There would be no point. The one thing I have learned after a year on here is that people don't want to be convinced. If someone has decided that orange is blue, well then that is just how it will be.
I find it interesting that if you sort by density, both LA and Phoenix (two cities that get a lot of flak from East Coasters and 'urbanites') are denser than Philadelphia and Boston, and in LA's case, NYC and DC.

Of course, I might be reading the data in the wrong context

Old 06-19-2015, 12:40 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,506,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Has Phoenix taken LA's place as most hated in C-D?
It's hard to keep up! The hatred ebbs and flows.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It's hard to keep up! The hatred ebbs and flows.
At least NYC can do no wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.