U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,117 posts, read 4,155,253 times
Reputation: 7748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Has Phoenix taken LA's place as most hated in C-D?
Oklahoma City is the most hated city on City-Data. It loses every poll, even against other cities that people on this site have disdain for (Jacksonville, Detroit, Phoenix) as well as smaller cities. When you get down to it, its hated for many of the same reasons Phoenix is hated and that is because its so auto-centric and doesn't have very many walkable urban areas for a city its size. Suburban-oriented cities don't get a lot of love here.

 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,957,250 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City is the most hated city on City-Data. It loses every poll, even against other cities that people on this site have disdain for (Jacksonville, Detroit, Phoenix) as well as smaller cities. When you get down to it, its hated for many of the same reasons Phoenix is hated and that is because its so auto-centric and doesn't have very many walkable urban areas for a city its size. Suburban-oriented cities don't get a lot of love here.
Nah, Phoenix gets hated on more. In the past Ive seen entire threads started for the sole purpose of bashing Phoenix. I havent seen one done for OKC yet. Yet.

Phoenix rocks. Anyone who thinks otherwise can take a long walk off a short pier.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:19 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,117 posts, read 4,155,253 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Nah, Phoenix gets hated on more. In the past Ive seen entire threads started for the sole purpose of bashing Phoenix. I havent seen one done for OKC yet. Yet.

Phoenix rocks. Anyone who thinks otherwise can take a long walk off a short pier.
I personally really like Phoenix. It's just different than a lot of cities. I would move there in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:20 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,633 posts, read 3,693,281 times
Reputation: 12464
Phoenix = Roasted sprawl...flip it over, it's done on this side.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
368 posts, read 400,349 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Phoenix rocks. Anyone who thinks otherwise can take a long walk off a short pier.
Why are you Phoenicians so oversensitive? I previously lived there and couldn't wait to leave, and met many people that felt the same way.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,957,250 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Phoenix = Roasted sprawl...flip it over, it's done on this side.
Its roasted, but its still mighty tasty.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,957,250 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Why are you Phoenicians so oversensitive? I previously lived there and couldn't wait to leave, and met many people that felt the same way.
The same can be said about ANY city in the USA. Why do you think Phoenix is unique in that aspect? Huh? Do you think that there arent tons of people aching to leave NYC? The mass migration of New Yorkers to Phoenix is evident that many couldnt wait to leave NYC for Phoenix. Same goes for other world class cities like Chicago, San Diego, Seattle, etc, etc. There are tons of people here from all over the states, all from cities they couldnt wait to leave. Just because people want to leave Phoenix doesnt mean its a bad place!

And FYI, most of the people Ive met here that want to leave are natives. 90% of the time youll meet people who absolutely love it here. Rarely have I met someone who cant wait to leave.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
368 posts, read 400,349 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The same can be said about ANY city in the USA. Why do you think Phoenix is unique in that aspect? Huh? Do you think that there arent tons of people aching to leave NYC? The mass migration of New Yorkers to Phoenix is evident that many couldnt wait to leave NYC for Phoenix. Same goes for other world class cities like Chicago, San Diego, Seattle, etc, etc. There are tons of people here from all over the states, all from cities they couldnt wait to leave. Just because people want to leave Phoenix doesnt mean its a bad place!

And FYI, most of the people Ive met here that want to leave are natives. 90% of the time youll meet people who absolutely love it here. Rarely have I met someone who cant wait to leave.
My city (Houston) also gets hate, but I have never told haters that they can "take a long walk off a short pier," nor have other Houston posters.

For a metro of 4.5 million, Phoenix is very different from similarly sized metros. It has a different type of layout, a different type of geography, a different type of economy, and different demographics (snowbirds and retirees). It's not a bad thing, but it's not for everybody. There's no need to get aggressive about it.

Truth be told, if you're not from a cold climate, you might not be able to appreciate Phoenix in the same way that a Midwesterner/Northeasterner/Northwesterner does.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,658,600 times
Reputation: 3625
I think Phoenix is a great place to live. Especially to those who want quick, easy access to the outdoors (especially those who want variety), cheap housing, a relatively good job market, and a simple suburban lifestyle. I'd recommend Phoenix to anyone who wants those things and has a heat tolerance.

To those who want walkability, character, and a lot of CITY amenities, Phoenix pales in comparison to other cities here and I wouldn't recommend it. The Phoenix metro, in my opinion, has city amenities that I can find anywhere else in the United States for cities of comparable sizes. The perks of Phoenix lie in its affordable suburbia and its outdoors, but that's about it. So if someone doesn't think the desert can be enjoyable and the affordable cookie-cutter homes Phoenix is filled with is tasteless, then obviously Phoenix is not a good option and that is OK. But no one should trash-talk Phoenix because they want the opposite of what Phoenix offers.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 05:14 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,016 posts, read 6,384,591 times
Reputation: 8288
Well my mom is really wanting to move to Phoenix for some of the reasons mentioned and it is not my cup of tea. There are some positives about it but they don't make up for the negatives IMO. She even went so far as to suggest I relocate there too. Since I will be the one who will likely end up caring for her when she gets older, I'm not very happy about it and I hope she doesn't expect me to move there although if I had absolutely no other choice I would. I don't see it as a sustainable growth city. Everything about it is artificial to me and the infernal summer heat is absolutely unbearable to me. If **** really were to hit the proverbial fan, Phoenix is the last place I would want to find myself. So I'm doing everything I can to convince her not to but at the end of the day it's her choice I guess.

Phoenix would probably get more love if this forum was frequented by older generation conservatives who value sprawl and cheap housing. But that's not the primary demographic here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top