U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 AM
 
Location: crafton pa
979 posts, read 356,124 times
Reputation: 1194

Advertisements

I don't know anything about the job market here in your field, but as a bridge engineer, I would think Pittsburgh would be good for you. We do have more bridges here than any other city in the world. There are some construction firms locally that do PA Dept of Transportation contracts so you might well find work. You won't be disappointed by how flat it is here either. You can't get anywhere without climbing a hill or two. It's good for outdoor activities too; there are plentiful hiking and biking opportunities even within the city limits and a several state parks relatively close by (less than 1.5 hour drive). There are a wide variety of neighborhoods here, so you could probably find something suitable from a density point of view. The better schools tend to be in the suburban areas, but there are some decent city schools as well if you are set on living within the city. Don't let the term "suburban" scare you. The inner ring suburbs here are fairly close to the city. I personally live in a suburb where I can get to downtown Pittsburgh in about a 10 minute drive.

Downsides: winters here are pretty miserable sometimes. We're not really near the ocean, although it's not too tough to plan a vacation to Ocean City MD, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach (direct flights available) or the Jersey shore. Sunny? Well, let's just say sunny isn't the word to describe Pittsburgh, especially in the winter. We don't have as many bugs as FLA though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 AM
 
14 posts, read 9,881 times
Reputation: 10
Tim - she may be willing to compromise on the ocean thing and go to someplace like Denver if we decide that... but I don't want her to be unhappy because she's away from the ocean y'know? She wants ocean, I want big mountains... There are two cities that have both right by: SF and Seattle. One's outrageously expensive and the other is overcast and dreary 50% of the time.

stremba - Pittsburgh was kind of a backdoor choice that I hadn't considered initially. Always thought of it as a very industrial city, but apparently you guys have adapted to the huge economic shift well... and I never realized how hilly it is there. Also I like the centralized location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
42 posts, read 50,432 times
Reputation: 77
Denver-y city with reasonable access to a coast line? Maybe Portland, OR? Portland and Seattle would probably be more in line with "left leaning" ideology than Denver. In my experience (I spend a ton of time in Denver), Denver and Colorado like most other Mountain West locales tend to be more libertarian in politics than liberal, if that's an important factor for you.

Growing up in the West I don't feel comfortable calling anything east of the Rockies "mountains," but maybe Raleigh? That's a few hours at most from both mountains and coast. But if you're willing to live a few hours from the coast anyway, being that Denver is a major hub airport it doesn't take that much time or money to get to San Diego or Los Angeles. I think last time I flew from Denver to SD it was like a 1.5-2 hour flight.

Denver is pretty much my idea of a perfect city though, and since I've spent so much time there it's hard for me to come up with comparable cities. But if I had to think of a coastal city that most closely resembles Denver, I guess it would be Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 PM
 
2,289 posts, read 1,294,216 times
Reputation: 1520
Default check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by big money View Post
Tim - she may be willing to compromise on the ocean thing and go to someplace like Denver if we decide that... but I don't want her to be unhappy because she's away from the ocean y'know? She wants ocean, I want big mountains... There are two cities that have both right by: SF and Seattle. One's outrageously expensive and the other is overcast and dreary 50% of the time.

stremba - Pittsburgh was kind of a backdoor choice that I hadn't considered initially. Always thought of it as a very industrial city, but apparently you guys have adapted to the huge economic shift well... and I never realized how hilly it is there. Also I like the centralized location.
Perhaps the two of you should visit candidate cities? In the case of Seattle, perhaps two visits would be advisable-one during the summer, and one during the grey months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 02:39 PM
 
14 posts, read 9,881 times
Reputation: 10
That's kind of how I feel about mountains in the east. I've also spent a lot of time around the Rockies and the mountains of northern NM (which are less impressive than the Rockies), and no time around mountains in the east. I've grown to like the coast living here in Jacksonville, and to me, nothing would be better than Denver with a coast.

Portland seems a bit more urban and less outdoorsy than Denver, but not by much. And I also like the fact that Denver has 3 major sports teams... an MLB team isn't a requirement for me, but it's a big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 03:15 PM
 
14 posts, read 9,881 times
Reputation: 10
Tim - I think we'll definitely be trying to visit as many candidates as possible. Gotta stretch my vacation time. Thanks for the info, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Austin
596 posts, read 675,696 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by big money View Post
Tim - she may be willing to compromise on the ocean thing and go to someplace like Denver if we decide that... but I don't want her to be unhappy because she's away from the ocean y'know? She wants ocean, I want big mountains... There are two cities that have both right by: SF and Seattle. One's outrageously expensive and the other is overcast and dreary 50% of the time.

stremba - Pittsburgh was kind of a backdoor choice that I hadn't considered initially. Always thought of it as a very industrial city, but apparently you guys have adapted to the huge economic shift well... and I never realized how hilly it is there. Also I like the centralized location.
If you were concerned that Seattle would be too overcast, be aware that it actually gets more hours of sunshine in a year than Pittsburgh. Not a lot, in fact I would say they are basically even. Days with precipitation is basically even as well with Pittsburgh having 151 days and Seattle at 152.

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Seattle gets judged unfairly for its weather. It has about the same daily temperature averages as Paris and London but with more rain and, surprisingly, more hours of sunshine in every month. I never hear or read complaints about how people couldn't bear to live there due to all the gloom but with Seattle, it seems to be an automatic reaction.

I hope this does not come across as attacking your or anything like that. Sometimes tone doesn't come across in print. Seattle might work very well for the two of you and I would hate to see it dismissed too quickly. And, if in fact it is too gloomy for you two (and it very well might be), then I think you should be aware of how overcast Pittsburgh is as well.

Weather links for Paris and London since I mentioned them.

London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
42 posts, read 50,432 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by big money View Post
That's kind of how I feel about mountains in the east. I've also spent a lot of time around the Rockies and the mountains of northern NM (which are less impressive than the Rockies), and no time around mountains in the east. I've grown to like the coast living here in Jacksonville, and to me, nothing would be better than Denver with a coast.

Portland seems a bit more urban and less outdoorsy than Denver, but not by much. And I also like the fact that Denver has 3 major sports teams... an MLB team isn't a requirement for me, but it's a big plus.
The northern NM mountains are the Rockies.

Yeah, Denver has all major league sports and that's a pretty big deal. Adds to the civic pride of a city IMO. I had a friend that went to school in Portland and ended up transferring to the University of Denver (DU) because it was too gloomy/depressing up there. I think I've read somewhere that Denver has more sunshine hours than most places in Florida, if that's a consideration for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
If you were concerned that Seattle would be too overcast, be aware that it actually gets more hours of sunshine in a year than Pittsburgh. Not a lot, in fact I would say they are basically even. Days with precipitation is basically even as well with Pittsburgh having 151 days and Seattle at 152.

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Seattle gets judged unfairly for its weather. It has about the same daily temperature averages as Paris and London but with more rain and, surprisingly, more hours of sunshine in every month. I never hear or read complaints about how people couldn't bear to live there due to all the gloom but with Seattle, it seems to be an automatic reaction.

I hope this does not come across as attacking your or anything like that. Sometimes tone doesn't come across in print. Seattle might work very well for the two of you and I would hate to see it dismissed too quickly. And, if in fact it is too gloomy for you two (and it very well might be), then I think you should be aware of how overcast Pittsburgh is as well.

Weather links for Paris and London since I mentioned them.

London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, but it's distributed differently. Pittsburgh has the more four-season climate.

People do complain about the rain in London; I don't know about Paris, never heard anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 01:44 PM
 
14 posts, read 9,881 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
If you were concerned that Seattle would be too overcast, be aware that it actually gets more hours of sunshine in a year than Pittsburgh. Not a lot, in fact I would say they are basically even. Days with precipitation is basically even as well with Pittsburgh having 151 days and Seattle at 152.

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Seattle gets judged unfairly for its weather. It has about the same daily temperature averages as Paris and London but with more rain and, surprisingly, more hours of sunshine in every month. I never hear or read complaints about how people couldn't bear to live there due to all the gloom but with Seattle, it seems to be an automatic reaction.

I hope this does not come across as attacking your or anything like that. Sometimes tone doesn't come across in print. Seattle might work very well for the two of you and I would hate to see it dismissed too quickly. And, if in fact it is too gloomy for you two (and it very well might be), then I think you should be aware of how overcast Pittsburgh is as well.

Weather links for Paris and London since I mentioned them.

London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I didn't realize this. It does seem like Pitt sees more of an even distribution of sunshine & clouds throughout the year, and Seattle has more of an uneven winter/summer cloudy/sunny thing going on. I know that my gf is much more wary of the gloomy weather up there than I am. She seems to think a snowy ice cold Northeast winter would be better than a mild rainy cool overcast Seattle winter. I've read/heard lots of people who had nothing bad to say at all about the weather, but I've also heard the vocal minority talk about Seasonal Affective Disorder. I think the only way to find out is to spend a few days up there during the winter and a few days during the summer and see for ourselves. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top