Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times

Advertisements

Ok, just as a primer for myself and others who surf on this site, can someone provide me clarification on these following words:

Urbanity:
"Flocking there in droves" (what the heck is a drove?):

There are some others I can't think of right now, but they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Droves- A very large group- multitudes of people. Picture a huge flock of sheep or herd of cattle , all moving in one direction with a single destination in mind. Then apply that thought to humans.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:55 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Ok, just as a primer for myself and others who surf on this site, can someone provide me clarification on these following words:

Urbanity:
"Flocking there in droves" (what the heck is a drove?):

There are some others I can't think of right now, but they exist.
I bet you haven't heard of Merriam-Webster either.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Google really is everyone's friend.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I have Google dictionary sitting on the top of my tabs. It's great for looking up words. You just highlight the word, click on the little book icon and the definition and spelling pops up. "Droves" is not a CD word. It is a common word used in the English language. I wonder if English is your second language that you are asking this.

From the Google Dictionary

drove drōv
noun
plural noun droves
a herd or flock of animals being driven in a body.
a large number of people or things doing or undergoing the same thing.
crowd swarm horde multitude mob throng host mass army herd
a broad chisel for use by stonemasons.
Web definitions
(drove) a group of animals (a herd or flock) moving together
WordNet Search - 3.1
Powered by Google Dictionary

Old 05-29-2015, 03:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have Google dictionary sitting on the top of my tabs. It's great for looking up words. You just highlight the word, click on the little book icon and the definition and spelling pops up.
For those of us old geezers who still use an antique computer, is there any way to install that in what is still left of my browser? When I search for it, it only seems to be an app for android.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:41 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Tell me how many people make up a drove? I mean 10 people could technically be a drove.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For those of us old geezers who still use an antique computer, is there any way to install that in what is still left of my browser? When I search for it, it only seems to be an app for android.
LOL! I am an old geezer of 69 and my computer is over ten years old. My phone is a clam-shell about as old with no apps. My Google Dictionary came from the online Google App store with my Google Chrome platform. I think though that Explorer may have something similar because when I used IE a few years back, I had a dictionary and a word use suggestion program included in it.

I did a search and came up with Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com it's a website that has all sorts of dictionary uses. You can sign up to receive emails or just look up word spellings and definitions. I don't know if is has something you can put on your toolbar on your computer but you can take a look and find out.

Just leave the word "app" out of your search. Do a search for Internet dictionaries and you will find various choices if you are going to search the Internet for online dictionaries.

Check out your toolbar and whatever version you may have should show what downloads available. There should be a dictionary as one of the choices.

Last edited by Minervah; 05-29-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 06:38 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Tell me how many people make up a drove? I mean 10 people could technically be a drove.
Its kind of like division by zero, undefined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.