U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,724,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think as communication opportunities become more and more available to everyone the lines are blurring rapidly. People are taking their cues on how they should aspire to live their lives from these sources. Most cities have very similar if not the same entertainment, housing, restaurants, clothing styles and people with the same aspirations.

I think uniqueness and individualism is a rare thing these days.
Yeah I think the "material culture" is converging though I find that values are still largely dependent on geography, and weather does influence the overall mood of a place as well along with the economics of a region. The values of the South for example still seem to be welled from religion to a larger extent than say, California or Boston.

Then again, 90 years ago Sears was pretty much everywhere like Walmart is today and I imagine the urban culture of all American cities had certain things in common. The radio after all was a thing by then and was probably already creating something of a "general" culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 03:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,024,469 times
I agree that the US is becoming more and more homogenized, the regional differences more blurred. But all you have to do is look at the politics, and you just know people can think quite differently about things in different regions. What could be more polarized than the differences between, let's say, Massachusetts and South Carolina? Than the deep South and the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or