U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,484,158 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I know I just posted a thread in where I asked what is the most Southern city but I would also like to know where in the US do Mexican Americans thrive more. Is San Antonio the city where Mexican Americans thrive the most? Will I see white and Mexican couples here too? Will I also see interracial white and Mexican couples a lot in LA? I figure LA is really diverse so maybe there are interracial couples of many different types but I am not sure.

I guess I want to see a place where Mexican Americans thrive so much because I am from the East Coast. In middle school, Mexicans were often ridiculed, were seen as stupid, unassimilable, poor, etc. and this was in an over 80% Hispanic school Being Mexican was seen as a bad thing. It seems that in the East Coast Mexicans are even ridiculed by inner city Hispanics (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans usually) and blacks. I do not see too many white women and Mexican relationships, I have seen more white women and Asian men relationships here which is saying a lot because they say that relationships between white women and Asian men are rare. There might be still discrimination against Mexicans in the West Coast but I know there is an established Mexican community there so perhaps they are better integrated there. I am assuming Mexicans are not made fun of by their fellow Hispanics in the Southwest and California either (except for maybe the Central Americans in Cali but Mexicans outnumber them so I don't think it matters much).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:47 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,761,530 times
You really need to stop caring what other ignorant people think of you and stand out, regardless. Their ignorance is their problem and their crutch, do not make it yours.

There are many successful Mexican-Americans all over the Southwest, Texas and CA may be where you may feel more comfortable. Here it is pretty live let live.

My family is Mexican-American and we are very successful. One of my cousins studied engineering at MIT, and another cousin of mine just got accepted to the neuroscience program at UCLA straight from high school.

I was recently at an orientation in the education dept at UT Austin and there were many Mexican-Americans doing Masters and PhD programs there.

If you feel you need to get out of that negative environment, do it!

Last edited by rosa surf; 05-30-2015 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 03:05 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,140,781 times
I grew up in southern California. Mexicans are the dominant ethnic group in many cities (to include my hometown). Prejudice against them was almost unheard of even in the 80s. (I'm white btw, so that's my perspective.) It's even less anti-Mexican now. My guess is that you'd find a very hospitable environment in pretty much all of the southwest.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:20 AM

6,431 posts, read 9,948,829 times
Lmao. All there is in the west coast are Mexicans. You'll be just fine. I lived in San Antonio for several years and trust me, that's yalls city. Many mexicans are in all sectors of business that exist there and own really nice homes in the suburbs. Lots of interracial couples from the military influence. Same for bigger cities in TX like Houston and Dallas. LA might as well be Mexico so yeah I'd definitely say the community is thriving there. Haha jk. Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Washington also have thriving Mexican communities. It's not like the east coast AT ALL. I'm from the east coast. I was born and raised in Florida. Every time I go back there or anywhere on the east it's bizarre seeing how small the Mexican community is and how marginalized they are by other Hispanic and Latin groups because it's the complete opposite in the west and southwest.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
I agree with the others and would say if you're not in a good situation as a result of racial prejudice, it's probably best to move someplace where that's not the case as sadly this much of this country seems to be sliding backward versus improving in that area. Pretty much any of the big cities in Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso or Austin), Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson, Tempe), Albuquerque NM, California (mostly southern CA cities like LA or San Diego) or even Denver CO would all be good options to look at where Mexican-Americans seem to be thriving more. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 AM

56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Just curious, but where on the East Coast is this occurring? Outside of Winston-Salem, parts of Orange County NY, maybe select small towns and the biggest cities/metros, you don't really see Mexicans in high numbers/percentages.

Like others have mentioned, I would look out West, as pretty much any major city/area will have at least a sizable and generally well rounded Mexican community. Even an area like Salt Lake City comes to mind.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:03 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,443,929 times
I would say all the west and the southwest and also Chicago and Denver. Mainly because they have had large Mexican American communities for a long time. For major cities I would narrow it down to the following due to their low cost of living which makes their already large Mexican American presence easier to move up economically.

Dallas/Fort Worth
Houston
Denver
Austin
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Phoenix

LA (Expensive area but largest community and well established)
Rest of California
Chicago (Chicago has had a large presence for a long time but I think it's expensive and not much room for upward mobility)

Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 PM

Thank you for the responses.

Los Angeles might have upwardly mobile Mexicans but it looks like there is such a big gang/street culture there and since it is so expensive to live there it is probably harder for Mexicans to move up thus creating a large Mexican American underclass there. Am I wrong? Is San Antonio any better? I did hear a Mexican saying that Mexicans run things in Los Angeles though. I don't know if that is true.

Perhaps the anti Mexican sentiment is here because the Northeast always had waves of immigrants. The Irish came here and were discriminated and the same thing happened to the Italians, blacks, Puerto Ricans, and now Mexicans.

There was a time when white women would often not date Puerto Rican men in NJ. Now it is more common to see white women with Puerto Rican men. An Asian American woman told me she loved Puerto Rican men. I have read that Irish/Puerto Rican and Italian/Puerto Rican couples are common in New York City. So perhaps in time Mexicans will eventually be accepted here over time but I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon.

Just the word Mexican can be considered an insult here in NJ. I remember hearing what I believe were Dominican women (I am assuming because of their accent) saying how Mexican men are the worst. I remember someone saying Mexicans and Dominicans are the same thing. A Dominican guy replied to her and said that was an insult. I don't know about the Southwest or California but Mexican men here are seen as perverts and drunks. I remember in middle school, some kids wanted Mexicans to be deported, one was Puerto Rican the other Dominican.

I wouldn't encourage Mexican Americans to move to NJ unless they are coming here for work and don't mind being on the bottom of the totem pole in the Hispanic community and maybe be less likely to date someone who is not Mexican.

The Northeast may have the most diverse Hispanic population in the nation but that does not mean there is always unity. Some professionals like people who work in politics or social workers believe in "Latino unity" but oftentimes there is intraracism in the Hispanic community here as well.

To some Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, Mexicans, Central and South Americans are all lumped together as "Mexicans." Does this happen in the Southwest and California?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but where on the East Coast is this occurring? Outside of Winston-Salem, parts of Orange County NY, maybe select small towns and the biggest cities/metros, you don't really see Mexicans in high numbers/percentages.

Like others have mentioned, I would look out West, as pretty much any major city/area will have at least a sizable and generally well rounded Mexican community. Even an area like Salt Lake City comes to mind.
The middle school was in Perth Amboy but it seems throughout Central New Jersey except for maybe New Brunswick where there is a large population of Mexicans that Mexicans are looked down. I don't know much about Northeast New Jersey or South Jersey though.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 PM

124 posts, read 206,957 times
Salt Lake Area is a very underrated place for latinos. The county of Salt Lake is about 18% latino and that number is rising quickly. I would say it is very underrated in terms of a pretty open-minded area with a good economy and alot of support for the latino community. Every High school has a club called latinos in action which has thousands of members across the state.

Last edited by berger123; 05-31-2015 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or