U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,195,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDreamer View Post

LEC, California definitely seems very friendly to Asians, at least LA/OC. That was my plan but I am trying to find something in another state to avoid the CA personal income tax. You mentioned that you lived in Washington state -- can you comment on Vancouver, WA? I considered living there to avoid state income tax while being a short drive from Portland.
I've lived in SFBA (went to Berkeley for undergrad) and live in LA (mostly grew up here, go to law school out here now). Honestly, most of my paycheck seems to go to the Federal Government, and not all that much to the state government (IMO, people tend to overblow how much the state actually taxes you). However, as a sole proprietor, I do get your fears of the personal tax.

Vancouver, WA is ok, but it really is just suburbia. If you aren't living with a SO or a family, it wouldn't be for you. There is a small DT section west of I-5 north of the Columbia river, but no one really hangs out there all that much.

Generally the Portland area is one of the whitest places in the country. Not only that, it's also one of the most hipster places in the country. There really isn't very much socially outside of that. Downtown Portland is walkable, but it's also really small. Burnside has some cool stuff, but if you aren't into the hipster culture, it would be hard to live in the Portland area. Not saying that no one else lives there, but it's such a predominant theme that it's hard to avoid.

Oregon and Southern Washington has a ton of outdoors stuff.

What ethnicity are you? Do you want to live in a more "pan-Asian" area or one with just your specific ethnicity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 19,991 times
Thanks. I remember visiting Portland as a kid, I remember not much about the people but I remember the outdoors were beautiful. I hear you about Portland being "one of the whitest places in the country" -- that's unfortunate.

I am Chinese, I am more focused on having a social landscape that doesn't put me at a disadvantage. It's more about the culture, I think. I personally don't care about the ethnicity of the people I will be friends with.

Taxes are a big deal to me specifically because of the way that my income is categorized for tax purposes and how I intend to grow my wealth over time. For the average W-2 earner, they would not be nearly as important.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I remember visiting Portland as a kid, I remember not much about the people but I remember the outdoors were beautiful. I hear you about Portland being "one of the whitest places in the country" -- that's unfortunate.

I am Chinese, I am more focused on having a social landscape that doesn't put me at a disadvantage. It's more about the culture, I think. I personally don't care about the ethnicity of the people I will be friends with.
Nah, I hear you.

Honestly, the "white" thing isn't the problem as much as the "everyone's a hipster" thing bothers me. It gets annoying after a while. Socially, if you aren't into that kind of stuff, that'll put you at a huge disadvantage.

The outdoors are beautiful, but dealing with people who are only into IPA's and Mackelmore is annoying. I'm more of a Seattle type person myself, if only because I lived there. Seattle is cool but it might be too big for you, if you aren't seeking to be around a more major city.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Seattle seems very interesting to me. I am unsure how well I would adjust to the weather, but I have heard it is lovely during the summer. Question, do you think it would be easy for an outsider to make friends in Seattle? Is "Seattle Freeze" a real thing or just an internet myth?

Anchorage would probably be too extreme weather-wise and I don't know anything about Manchester. I could definitely look into it.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
I don't know much about Manchester except that it's got no state income tax and is close to Boston. It may not be very diverse itself but I'd imagine the people there are comfortable with Asians.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:35 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,708,613 times
Duluth,Ga

Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Seattle seems very interesting to me. I am unsure how well I would adjust to the weather, but I have heard it is lovely during the summer. Question, do you think it would be easy for an outsider to make friends in Seattle? Is "Seattle Freeze" a real thing or just an internet myth?
Well, I consider myself a pretty extroverted (almost annoying) person, so I find it relatively easy for myself to break the ice with anyone anywhere.

I'm sure there is some truth to the "Seattle Freeze", but since my friends up in Seattle are people I knew from college, it didn't apply to me as much. However, imagining myself as a person who knew nobody there, I could see how a lot of transplants would find that to be true. However, the "freeze" itself isn't hostile, but rather more "reserved", if that makes sense.

Just talk about how great the Seahawks are (or how much you hate the Niners), and how the Mariners look like an up and coming team, and voila: you've made friends with a lot of people.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:31 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,123,809 times
Again, dude, Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,030,370 times
You have some pretty tough standards. You want to live in a small/mid-sized city (outside CA) with a fair amount of 2nd generation Asians. This is a pretty challenging order at a time when Asians are only around 5% of the population, and most Asians are foreign-born and live in big cities or CA.

You aren't going to find many mid-small towns with more than a tiny amount of 2nd generation Asians. That pretty much leaves you with looking for "cosmopolitan" smaller cities where there aren't many 2nd generation Asians, but at least people maybe more used to "diversity" or less homogenous settings. I would think that leaves: Oregon, Washington, college towns , and maybe some satellite cities of bigger cities. I was thinking Raleigh-Durham might be worth considering, but I assume it is pretty similar to Austin (on the Asian issue).

Perhaps it would be more productive for you to name some cities you are interested in and see if people have opinions on them.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You want to live in a small/mid-sized city (outside CA) with a fair amount of 2nd generation Asians ... You aren't going to find many mid-small towns
Just want to make sure that no one is misled by this post.

Please note that I never stated that I needed to meet a threshold population of 2nd generation Asians. I explicitly stated that I care about culture and attitudes toward race, NOT the race of the people I will be living around. Nor did I ever state that I needed to live in a "mid-small town", only that I wanted to avoid the largest cities. And while I did express a preference to avoid California, I also explicitly stated that the tax issue (while important) is not a deal-breaker.

I appreciate everyone's input. This thread has been tremendously helpful already. I am happy I posted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or