Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times

Advertisements

H Mart is giving the other Asian markets fierce competition,it is owned by large corporation which has the resources to expand ,hire workers and keep the place neat and clean.
Before open,someone would go around and throw out stale,wilting veggies,during the day,a worker is going around sweeping the floor.
They have fresh seafood flown in from Fulton Market daily,they keep the fish and lobster tank clean,their prices are higher now than the local Asian markets,but you get what you pay for.
Welcome must have new owner now,they have renovate the place,wider aisles and cleaner,altho they could have removed the fish which have gone bellyup in the fish tank,who would want to buy a life fish which share the same tank as the ones which have gone belly up?ditto with lobster and dungnese crabs,bellyup with those still alive?
But they have many apts behind them and their prices are mostly lower,they are very popular and on weekends after 12,not easy find a parking space .
The largest Asian population is Vietnamese,but the Bellaire area is still mostly Chines,mainland Chinese are dominant there now,not the Taiwanese.
there are some UIGHURS there too,try their BIG CHICKEN ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 11:58 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Dallas has much better representation of all Asian cultures, if we're talking about Texas.

And anyways, the point is that looking at the percent of population that is Asian is a poor metric. A Taiwanese person living in a city of mostly Indians is not going to suddenly feel at home.
What you seem to mean is that Dallas offers more to the Korean consumer. I’d agree with that, but no Dallas does not have a more balanced representation of East Asians. Houston has larger Vietnamese, Chinese, and Filipino communities. Dallas has larger Korean and Lao communities. The other East Asian groups are fairly evenly represented. Dallas has more South Asian and Houston has more East Asians.

You don’t have to guess at numbers if you aren’t sure. Vietnamese are 24.55% of Asians in Greater Houston not 40%. 90% of the Asian amenities here are not Vietnamese. Houston is a bigger destination for people moving directly into the US vs Seattle or Boston despite your past claims otherwise (remember our conversation about that?). You know how to use data.census.gov and the info is right there.

I do agree with the last statement for sure. The term “Asian” is way too broad.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-31-2021 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 12:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDreamer View Post
What, in your opinion, are the best cities in the US for Asian Americans to live in excluding the largest cities? I have rarely encountered true bigotry or racism in most places in this country, but rather the issue I tend to encounter is being viewed as an outsider and having no real sense of belonging. I have generally had okay (not great) experiences in larger cities, but I really dislike living in large or dense cities.

I currently live in Austin, which was honestly perfect during college and my twenties because the student population here is diverse and people are used to seeing young Asian guys. I fit in very well and had social success. However, as I've gotten older and had more professional success, I've found that there are very few Asian people in my peer group especially singles. It's not necessarily that I need to have Asian friends, it's more that I want to be around people who are comfortable being around me and don't view me as "different". My change in feelings may also have to do with the fact that the character of Austin has changed so much as our population has grown.

Anyone is welcome to answer this question but, if you don't mind, please state your race so I know where you are coming from. (I won't insist, but it would be helpful to me)
As more tech companies are moving to AUstin,YOU SHOULD see more Asians settling down in Austin,why not stay put?
Oracle has many Asian workers,in fact it is being taken to court for underpaying Asian workers,then there is HP,TSLA,AMZN,and may be even LYFT,UBER coming.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:28 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olindacat View Post
You are totally right. I am Asian but was adopted by an English mother, Irish father, both US. born. They were oblivious to what I would endure walking to school.

What is really tough is if you are an American Asian without a lot of money, or a doctorate! Try that one on for size! I spent 30 years chasing my tail with my own magazine business, and blew most of my money trying to stay alive against the force of Google, etc. There were few alternatives, as my tourism business was very vertical and websites do not make money unless they have lots of eyes. Mine did not!

So, where does an Asian go if he/she has a few hundred k in the bank, and in this climate nobody wants your yellow a#@ around, as we (Asians) are the 'problem' with MAGA's 'vision'.

Totally sucks to be in such straits, and if you don't speak an Asian language, like me, you can't even "go back to where you came from".....
Not sure what being Asian has to do with the bolded. Sounds like maybe you could have made better business decisions? Or perhaps gone a different career route?

There are a lot of Asians who don't have Doctorates and are successful, and a lot of people would love to have a few hundred "k" in the bank. Perhaps your definition of "success" is built around an incorrect stereotype? Just sounds like you aren't happy. I see a little of a "victim" mentality. If you feel slighted where you are, there are plenty of suggested places you can move to. I would not consider you in dire straits.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:08 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDreamer View Post
What, in your opinion, are the best cities in the US for Asian Americans to live in excluding the largest cities? I have rarely encountered true bigotry or racism in most places in this country, but rather the issue I tend to encounter is being viewed as an outsider and having no real sense of belonging. I have generally had okay (not great) experiences in larger cities, but I really dislike living in large or dense cities.

I currently live in Austin, which was honestly perfect during college and my twenties because the student population here is diverse and people are used to seeing young Asian guys. I fit in very well and had social success. However, as I've gotten older and had more professional success, I've found that there are very few Asian people in my peer group especially singles. It's not necessarily that I need to have Asian friends, it's more that I want to be around people who are comfortable being around me and don't view me as "different". My change in feelings may also have to do with the fact that the character of Austin has changed so much as our population has grown.

Anyone is welcome to answer this question but, if you don't mind, please state your race so I know where you are coming from. (I won't insist, but it would be helpful to me)
For 30 years of my life, I was the only Asian guy in the room. I didn't want my kids to have that experience. So here I am in Irvine. And it's not like Asians are friendlier to us than other ethnicities, they're not. they drive just as bad, can be just as inconsiderate. But it's good to not stand out sometimes.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Personally I think it's difficult to say what metro is good for "Asians." Someone might say Houston is great because it has 7 or 8% Asian population and tons of grocery stores, shops, etc. But 90% of that is Vietnamese stuff. What would a Korean care about a million pho restaurants?

Unless you're adopted or 3rd or 4th gen or mixed then I guess it wouldn't matter so much, for a lot of us it's not about which area is best for Asians, it's which is best for Filipinos/Koreans/Chinese etc.
8% to me is not really a lot. Not compared to the west coast at least.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:30 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
8% to me is not really a lot. Not compared to the west coast at least.
It's more like 6%. Definitely not all that Asian per capita.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...00-houston-tx/

Top Asian Big cities percentage-wise are all west coast or NYC and Boston at 10%

Old 02-01-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Top Asian Big cities percentage-wise are all west coast or NYC and Boston at 10%
Yeah, I mean 6 or 8% is probably above average, right But again, to the coastal cities, that's not a big deal. Having a few Chinese shopping centers doesn't make you an Asian mecca.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

City limits isn’t a good comparison for this since most Asians live in the suburbs. By metro area, Houston is more Asian than Boston or Chicago but obviously not as much as the west coast majors.

Not only that, but as much grief as Houston is getting for being too heavily Vietnamese, Boston is even more heavily Chinese.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, I mean 6 or 8% is probably above average, right But again, to the coastal cities, that's not a big deal. Having a few Chinese shopping centers doesn't make you an Asian mecca.
Can you show where someone said Houston is an Asian Mecca? Houston has the most significant East Asian community in the south but that’s where we leave it.

Houston is in tier for Asians comparable to Chicago, Boston, and Dallas. They’d be below Washington DC and above Atlanta or Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.