U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:09 AM

10 posts, read 19,966 times

Advertisements

What, in your opinion, are the best cities in the US for Asian Americans to live in excluding the largest cities? I have rarely encountered true bigotry or racism in most places in this country, but rather the issue I tend to encounter is being viewed as an outsider and having no real sense of belonging. I have generally had okay (not great) experiences in larger cities, but I really dislike living in large or dense cities.

I currently live in Austin, which was honestly perfect during college and my twenties because the student population here is diverse and people are used to seeing young Asian guys. I fit in very well and had social success. However, as I've gotten older and had more professional success, I've found that there are very few Asian people in my peer group especially singles. It's not necessarily that I need to have Asian friends, it's more that I want to be around people who are comfortable being around me and don't view me as "different". My change in feelings may also have to do with the fact that the character of Austin has changed so much as our population has grown.

Anyone is welcome to answer this question but, if you don't mind, please state your race so I know where you are coming from. (I won't insist, but it would be helpful to me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:13 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,194,833 times
Hello, I'm an Asian American. This forum might actually be the worst place to ask, because barely anyone here empathizes or even wants to empathize how you feel like. People here have this idea that since they've never seen what it feels like to be an outsider, that we're "dreaming".

It's pretty awful, to be honest.

I will ask you the most important question though: what do you do for a living? That will determine everything, to be honest with you. If it's something that doesn't require you to be in a specific area, then I can answer your question more openly.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 AM

Thank you for the reply. I work from home and for myself, so I have a lot of flexibility in where I live. Income tax is a major issue that keeps me away from California although it is not necessarily a deal-breaker. I just need a compelling reason to accept such an increase. For the same reason expatriation would be difficult (double taxation issues).

Old 05-31-2015, 11:40 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,123,177 times
In the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, the Asian population is typically very well integrated, though it's not *huge*. Keep in mind, however, that many of the asians here are Filipino.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
This may help and you can weed out the areas that don't fit what you are looking for in a general sense: U.S. Median Asian Household Income Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Old 05-31-2015, 11:58 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,194,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDreamer View Post
Thank you for the reply. I work from home and for myself, so I have a lot of flexibility in where I live. Income tax is a major issue that keeps me away from California although it is not necessarily a deal-breaker. I just need a compelling reason to accept such an increase. For the same reason expatriation would be difficult (double taxation issues).
Depending on how your business is incorporated (as an LLC, S-Corp, Sole Proprietorship, etc.) , you might be able to avoid double taxation issues since you would theoretically be operating under that tax code. However, that's between you and your accountant and/or lawyer (CD isn't the best place to get this kind of advice from).

As for your question, as you alluded to any mid-sized CA city is fine. Literally any of them. I've had friends who grew up in Fresno or Visalia, and it was ok for them (just insanely boring).

I've lived in Washington State, New York, Arizona, Nevada and Hawaii, and they were all pretty much fine. New York was a bit more tricky than the other places, but it wasn't outright hostile.

Vegas is fun, but it wears out pretty quickly. There's no income tax there, but keep in mind most of the Asians there are Filipinos. Seattle is great, but the cost of living is a bit high. Not to mention if you don't like overcast weather, it's pretty terrible. Hawaii, I don't recommend living on an island. Phoenix simply gets too hot, but most people are generally pretty receptive.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:16 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Austin seems like the obvious choice...except that you want to leave lol. What's too big??

Raleigh area has a decent Asian pop that will continue to increase in the future. And most of that csa doesn't feel like a big city.

Orlando and Tampa also have acceptable Asian demographics. The Hispanic population also helps to create a more minority-friendly environment. And because of the nature of Floridian cities there are plenty of neighborhoods that aren't big city.

Jax has the largest Filipino pop in the southeast. Also decent Indian and Vietnamese numbers. But it's still very lacking in Asian influence. You will often find yourself as the token Asian in a small group.

I am Chinese-Malaysian-American.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,846 times
Asians are a very insular race compared to others, so you're kinda out of luck on feeling immersed in most parts of the country and you'll just have to deal with that. Asian-Americans seem to like the suburbs, not urban areas. So I think you'd be fine in any upper income suburb of a major metro. Seattle, LA, SF, and Wash DC all have a large contingent of Americanized, multigenerational Asians in their suburbs. I lived in Seattle, and a lot of people referred to nearby Bellevue as "the Asian suburb" (seemed to be mostly Indian- and Chinese-Americans). In DC, there are tons of (now 1st and 2nd generation) Korean-Americans in suburbs like Annandale, Centerville, etc. in addition to other Asian groups. I don't know how integrated they are with other races out there, but I'd imagine there has to be some degree of it.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:46 PM

799 posts, read 577,196 times
Irvine, California is quite nice, but super pricey. Don't move there if you don't have the money, but if you're pulling in at least $60,000 per person...well there are worse places to live.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your answers.

projectmaximus, there is really no specific cutoff point as far as population size. I have just found that larger cities tend to be a lot less friendly and safe. I also don't like crowded places, just my preference. Austin is not a bad place by any means. But either it has changed a lot, and/or my situation has changed based on my age / life situation. Most of my Asian friends from college left for bigger cities, where career opportunities are better. I have been fortunate to be able to remain here while the getting was good.

skid, while you are correct, I am not ready for suburban life yet. And as a single person I probably wouldn't fit in that well either.

LEC, California definitely seems very friendly to Asians, at least LA/OC. That was my plan but I am trying to find something in another state to avoid the CA personal income tax. You mentioned that you lived in Washington state -- can you comment on Vancouver, WA? I considered living there to avoid state income tax while being a short drive from Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or