U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the West Coast rich or poor by average US standards?
Rich 20 68.97%
Poor 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:18 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,200,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
The median income in Oroville is $18,500. The median home value according to Zillow is $163k. The Chicago metro median income is $60,000 and the median home value is $186k.
And? This goes against what I said because???

Not to mention that a huge chunk of Oroville is made up of Bay Area and Sacramento retirees, I wouldn't except most people to be making all that much money. SSI isn't considered income.

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 06-02-2015 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM

573 posts, read 571,998 times
If we are talking overall and in a very general sense, then yes, I would say the West is richer. And the big cities definitely FEEL richer, classier, etc. than other big cities in the US.

But obviously there are certain clusters here and there that can feel like a third world country, especially in LA.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:34 PM

1,243 posts, read 981,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
And? This goes against what I said because???

Not to mention that a huge chunk of Oroville is made up of Bay Area and Sacramento retirees, I wouldn't except most people to be making all that much money. SSI isn't considered income.
You said Chicago is "much more expensive than Oroville." It's clearly not much more expensive if the average home in Oroville is 160k and Chicago is 180k.

An accountant in Sacramento (which is over an hour away from Oroville) has an average salary of $48,000. In Chicago, it's $60,000. According to CNN's COL Calculator, an accountant in Sacramento would have to make $58,000 to equal out to Chicago's $60,000. But they don't. The average in Sacramento is only $48,000 and Sacramento is well over an hour away from Oroville. The salaries would be even lower in Oroville or Yuba City than they already are in Sacramento.

The median age of Oroville is only 32.6 from the City of Oroville website. Retirees don't make up that big of a chunk of it.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:43 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,818,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
The West is the Gold Coast, California in particular is where they say the American Dream is achieved. Having been to other regions & states in my opinion the West is way more Advanced than the rest of the country ,Better weather,Better food,Better Quality of life,Better World class cities & Entertainment ,L.A,Honolulu, San Diego, Las vegas, San Francisco, Seattle in one region is Golden.I would list the South as the 2nd best Region due to Atlanta, New orleans,Houston & Miami also being world class cities, The Northeast basically has Nyc ,D.c & Philly as their main top cities & isn't big enough to compete with the West & South. And the Eastcoast weather is terrible in comparison.
LMFAO this poster is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or