Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the West Coast rich or poor by average US standards?
Rich 20 68.97%
Poor 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:52 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,938,279 times

Advertisements

It seems like there are a lot of very rich people and a lot of very poor people here. Wages tend to be higher than other parts of the country, but not enough to compensate for the higher cost of living and the economy seems less diversfied overall. I wonder why - is it because the West is sort of remote, functionally almost like an "island" due to the vast distances over mountainous and arid land? Or is it because of real estate speculation due to the climate and vistas?

I also notice that houses and yards out West tend to be smaller and offer fewer amenities compared to the rest of the country, and are not as well built as houses in other regions. If you account for higher COL California actually has more poor people than Mississippi. This doesn't surprise me; it's pretty much impossible for a young person to be a home owner in California or any Western state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,481,033 times
Have you ever been outside the West Coast?

Old 05-31-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Have you ever been outside the West Coast?
Yeah, many times. I've been to Ontario, the Midwest, Montana, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Idaho, New York State, BC and Alberta.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:02 PM

603 posts, read 926,065 times
Mini-apple-less, you really should move. I don't mean to be snarky but, judging from your multiple negative threads on the west, you are clearly very unhappy there. You shouldn't live somewhere you dislike so much.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Mini-apple-less, you really should move. I don't mean to be snarky but, judging from your multiple negative threads on the west, you are clearly very unhappy there. You shouldn't live somewhere you dislike so much.
Actually I'm fine now, I'm just curious what people think. I always hear about how the West has a higher "quality of life" but it seems like the stats suggest otherwise.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,789,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Actually I'm fine now, I'm just curious what people think. I always hear about how the West has a higher "quality of life" but it seems like the stats suggest otherwise.
Honestly that depends on how you define "quality of life." If your definition places more value on cash than aesthetics then a bland place like Dallas-Fort Worth will be better for you than, say, Denver.

FWIW - Our house in Denver is higher quality than both houses we owned in DFW and it's not even close. Unless you're buying from a high-end builder like K. Hovnanian or Toll Brothers, a lot of the newer housing stock in the metroplex is 100% crap because the builders have tiny margins and defect resolution in Texas heavily favors builders over homeowners. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-31-2015 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 PM

82 posts, read 98,187 times
The BEA has supposedly real income data. The West is generally poorer, with exceptions such as the Bay Area, Puget Sound, etc.
BEA: News Release: Real Personal Income for States and Metropolitan Areas, 2008-2012

Personally...the West is richer in landscapes I can't keep in a bank account, or compare to my neighbors.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Honestly that depends on how you define "quality of life." If your definition places more value on cash than aesthetics then a bland place like Dallas-Fort Worth will be better for you than, say, Denver.

FWIW - Our house in Denver is higher quality than both houses we owned in DFW and it's not even close. Unless you're buying from a high-end builder like K. Hovnanian or Toll Brothers, a lot of the newer housing stock in the metroplex is 100% crap because the builders have tiny margins and defect resolution in Texas heavily favors builders over homeowners. You get what you pay for.
From a development perspective I'd actually consider Dallas part of the West too. It has more in common with Sunbelt cities in the West than it does with cities in the Southeast.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:00 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,398,280 times
In general, East coast is old money, West coast is new money. The wealthy is the West tend to flaunt it more, East coast elites conceal it and have better handle at keeping their finances to themselves.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
In general, East Coast is old money, West coast is new money.
That's true, though California has some old money doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.