U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 AM

82 posts, read 87,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Stay far away from North Carolina and Virginia. Areas like Northern Virginia and the Research Triangle won't work for you. The Greensboro/Winston-Salem area just might, however. Same with Richmond, although it definitely has transplants and it's in the transition zone between the South and Mid-Atlantic. You can tell you're almost out of the South in Richmond, plenty of similarities with DC.

The southern metros that aren't necessarily attracting loads of transplants won't work for you, either. Most aren't very nice, like Memphis or Montgomery. There's a reason they're not attracting loads of transplants, let's put it that way. If you think Birmingham is "too ghetto" than areas like Memphis won't work. If you want a nice southern metro, chances are that metro will have some transplants. I'm thinking South Carolina for you, maybe the Greenville area or Columbia. Tennessee could also work. Nashville is very "New South" on par with areas like Charlotte but I feel like Nashville has managed to retain more of its southern identity. From what I've heard, Nashville has attracted more Midwestern transplants as opposed to areas of North Carolina and Florida that have been attracting loads from New York/New Jersey. In this case, Nashville isn't quite as "northern influenced."
Well, I take no issue to people from other places and I welcome everyone and recognize the benefit that people with different backgrounds can provide.

My issue with Atlanta, and with South Florida, and with Fairfax County Virginia isn't the mere presence of "transplants" it is the fact that it has gotten to the point where there is such a critical mass of folks from elsewhere that the parent culture of the area (Southern culture) hasn't just been altered, it has simply dissipated. Since I am of southern culture, that's difficult for me because it is almost a "stranger in a strange land" type of experience when I go to the mall or meet the parents of all of my sons friends, and I hear more Fran Drescher or Joan Rivers than Paula Deen, if you understand what I am saying.

I have distant ancestors that moved up to Chicago, Gary and Detroit for work during the Great Depression like millions of other southerners. I am sure that those southern migrants have left their mark on those places but the culture of Detroit never morphed from Great Lakes Midwestern to Southern in the way that Atlanta has morphed from Southern to "Northeastern with mild winters". Similarly with NYC, many Irish, Italian and Chinese people have moved there and while their influence is definitely felt it would impossible to mistake the culture of NYC for that of Dublin, Palermo or Beijing. Los Angeles took in hundreds of thousands of displaced Okies in the 30's but there is almost no cultural common ground between Southern California and the Great Plains (well besides drought!).

I hope that makes my question a tad more concise. I'm not some kind of "Xenophobe" towards Yankees despot my antipathy towards their marauding ancestors in the Union Army, one of my closest friends is my neighbor who is from Philadelphia. I just want to live in a place where my culture, the culture of the "deep south" still features prominently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:41 AM

3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Very untrue. It has a significant number of transplants due to NASA/aerospace industry and is among the most well-educated cities in the South which has it trending more liberal. In fact it's the "bluest" city in Alabama apparently.
I still wouldn't label them as the most liberal in the state though.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:30 AM

29,892 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
I am sure that those southern migrants have left their mark on those places but the culture of Detroit never morphed from Great Lakes Midwestern to Southern in the way that Atlanta has morphed from Southern to "Northeastern with mild winters".
That's interesting because I still think that the predominant culture of Atlanta is Southern, but it obviously has strong extraregional influences in the core of the metro. However, it should be understood that Atlanta was founded as a center of transportation which attracted industry and Northern investment early on, so extraregional influences have been in Atlanta since the very beginning. Either way, I don't think the vast majority of people would ever mistake Atlanta for a Northeastern city. "Philadelphia-lite" it is not.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,264,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
Well, I take no issue to people from other places and I welcome everyone and recognize the benefit that people with different backgrounds can provide.

My issue with Atlanta, and with South Florida, and with Fairfax County Virginia isn't the mere presence of "transplants" it is the fact that it has gotten to the point where there is such a critical mass of folks from elsewhere that the parent culture of the area (Southern culture) hasn't just been altered, it has simply dissipated. Since I am of southern culture, that's difficult for me because it is almost a "stranger in a strange land" type of experience when I go to the mall or meet the parents of all of my sons friends, and I hear more Fran Drescher or Joan Rivers than Paula Deen, if you understand what I am saying.

I have distant ancestors that moved up to Chicago, Gary and Detroit for work during the Great Depression like millions of other southerners. I am sure that those southern migrants have left their mark on those places but the culture of Detroit never morphed from Great Lakes Midwestern to Southern in the way that Atlanta has morphed from Southern to "Northeastern with mild winters". Similarly with NYC, many Irish, Italian and Chinese people have moved there and while their influence is definitely felt it would impossible to mistake the culture of NYC for that of Dublin, Palermo or Beijing. Los Angeles took in hundreds of thousands of displaced Okies in the 30's but there is almost no cultural common ground between Southern California and the Great Plains (well besides drought!).

I hope that makes my question a tad more concise. I'm not some kind of "Xenophobe" towards Yankees despot my antipathy towards their marauding ancestors in the Union Army, one of my closest friends is my neighbor who is from Philadelphia. I just want to live in a place where my culture, the culture of the "deep south" still features prominently.
I definitely understand. I'd still look into South Carolina or Tennessee. If you're not digging life around Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham need to be crossed off the list. Greenville, Columbia, Nashville, and Knoxville might work out, though.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I definitely understand. I'd still look into South Carolina or Tennessee. If you're not digging life around Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham need to be crossed off the list. Greenville, Columbia, Nashville, and Knoxville might work out, though.
As would Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Chattanooga, and maybe Lexington, KY (although being relatively close to Cincinnati, it's near that South/Midwest transition zone).

Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Atlanta strikes me as more southern than Raleigh/Durham, at least. Some people like to call Raleigh "Mid-Atlantic" if they don't want to call it "southern." Atlanta has no choice, it's undeniably southern being in Georgia. Look at Stone Mountain, or the "Y'all come back now!" at the closing ceremony of the 1996 Olympics which basically reminded the world that Atlanta is in the South. It's just the best example of "New South" as opposed to being "Old South" like Montgomery, Memphis, Jackson, etc. I have a hard time calling Atlanta anything but southern, the "northern city that happens to be in the South" assumption doesn't make a ton of sense IMO.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,441,208 times
Quote:
Atlanta strikes me as more southern than Raleigh/Durham, at least. Some people like to call Raleigh "Mid-Atlantic" if they don't want to call it "southern." Atlanta has no choice, it's undeniably southern being in Georgia. Look at Stone Mountain, or the "Y'all come back now!" at the closing ceremony of the 1996 Olympics which basically reminded the world that Atlanta is in the South. It's just the best example of "New South" as opposed to being "Old South" like Montgomery, Memphis, Jackson, etc. I have a hard time calling Atlanta anything but southern, the "northern city that happens to be in the South" assumption doesn't make a ton of sense IMO.
Pretty much. While the "southern-ness" of Atlanta is somewhat diluted due to transplants and immigrants, it's still very much a Southern city at the end of the day. And why does he feel the need to leave Georgia? After Mississippi and possibly South Carolina, outstate Georgia is as Southern as it gets. There's plenty of smallish and mid-sized cities in Georgia that retain the majority of their Southern character.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Pretty much. While the "southern-ness" of Atlanta is somewhat diluted due to transplants and immigrants, it's still very much a Southern city at the end of the day. And why does he feel the need to leave Georgia? After Mississippi and possibly South Carolina, outstate Georgia is as Southern as it gets. There's plenty of smallish and mid-sized cities in Georgia that retain the majority of their Southern character.
Very true; he need only head east to Augusta, west to Columbus, or south to Macon to get the South he's looking for.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As would Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Chattanooga, and maybe Lexington, KY (although being relatively close to Cincinnati, it's near that South/Midwest transition zone).
True, Lexington straddles the Midwest like Richmond straddles the Mid-Atlantic. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Chattanooga could possibly work, though. I know some people don't include Arkansas in the South but Little Rock could also possibly work.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,441,208 times
I consider Arkansas Southern, but a different kind of Southern. The eastern 1/4 or so (greater Delta area) isn't all that different from western TN or northwestern MS, but the further west you go in AR, the flavor becomes increasingly Southwestern (not SouthWESTERN in the sense of AZ or NM, but SOUTHwestern like much of TX and OK)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or